Men Behaving Badly - Series 1

Opinions please on the opening series of Men Behaving Badly. It was one of the two series made by ITV and had Harry Enfield as Gary's flatmate Dermot, not Neil Morrissey as Tony. Though doing a decent job, Enfield looked a bit out of place and Tony was a lot funnier, but there were six fine episodes in the first series, what did anybody who has seen the opening series think of it?

I think I only saw it after I'd been watching the Neil Morrissey era for ages. So it always seemed a bit wrong to me.

Not bad, but not up to the standards of later series.

Quote: zooo @ February 16 2009, 8:52 PM GMT

I think I only saw it after I'd been watching the Neil Morrissey era for ages. So it always seemed a bit wrong to me.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Harry played Dermot, one of the characters from the original novel.

I remember one line from that series:

I see the standard of graffiti has improved in the toilets.
I just read one that said "West Ham is a poof"

(or something like that)

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ February 16 2009, 10:12 PM GMT

I remember one line from that series:

I see the standard of graffiti has improved in the toilets.
I just read one that said "West Ham is a poof"

Laughing out loud

I like that but have no idea why

A brave decision to dump Enfield for Morrissey but it worked. I really don't think Mr Harry can do sitcom. Especially one where he hasn't written the lines.

Edited by Aaron - spelling.

I also don't think you are good at spelling.
Yes, Enfield wasn't dumped, he just left the show.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 17 2009, 7:03 PM GMT

I also don't think you are good at spelling.

Laughing out loud

(Fixed.)

Gary was my favourite sitcom character for a while.

It feels a different show with Dermot than it was with Tony but I still enjoyed that first series.

Isn't there a famous quote from Harry where he says something to the effect of, 'If it wasn't for me joining Men Behaving Badly it would never have been made. And if it wasn't for me leaving it would never have been great'?

Def.

I believe I have heard a such a quote, yes.

If you watch the outakes in series 1, they are pretty funny. Harry Enfield in all his shows, encourages the studio audience to shout out the word 'Wanker' at anybody who makes a mistake. In one outake, Gary has to say: 'Take no notice Debroah, Dermot's a compulsive liar' But Martin Clunes says: ''Take no notice Debroah, Dermot's a compulsive liar. And a wanker'

I quite liked the 1st series. It was mainly pretty good with a few real standout moments. Certainly not that bad. I agree that the show got better from the 2nd series onwards, peaking during series 3 and 4, before dipping closer to the very end (the specials). I always felt once relationships, babies and other such issues became so prominent in the writing that the quality of the episodes dipped as a consequence. Despite that it still wasn't that bad and finished off still better than OFAH did, mind.

RE: Series 1 ... the Alarms and Setbacks episode has always been a favaourite.

I love this episode of the show (not series 1, but who cares):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ddUQvjOXZg