Hi-De-Hi! Page 6

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th December 2015, 9:30 AM

My only reservation about the series, which I may have mentioned before is the character of Squadron Leader Clive Dempster - maybe it was the too bigger boots to fill, but I could never shine to him. The he and Gladys situation was nowhere near the hilarious ones with Mr. Fairbrother.

"Jeffrey can't hear you.........Hi De Hi" Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Marvellous! He was so absolutely fantastic in that part.

My thoughts exactly: it went downhill with the departure of the academic Jeffrey - still we had 4 enjoyable series!

Watched the series recently for the first time. I love it. I think it's superb! I love the whole setting, I love the different type of characters. I really enjoy it. I love David Griffin's performance in this! I much prefer him to Simon Cadell as the entertainment manager. Su Pollard's character was annoying. Over the top IMO. The worst thing about the show is the DVD packaging. It's awful. Hideous. But the show on a whole is excellent. The trio, Hi-De-Hi!, You Rang, M'Lord? and Oh Doctor Beeching! are excellent.

In S02 E03 (Lift Up Your Minds) what is the Shostakovich piece Jeffrey Fairbrother plays?

Quote: hawtdawg @ 1st May 2022, 9:58 AM

In S02 E03 (Lift Up Your Minds) what is the Shostakovich piece Jeffrey Fairbrother plays?

Symphony # 9 (opus 60).

In the ending credits, where they show the cast, how come the man who played Fred the jockey would always be talking (soundlessly of course) to the camera whereas the others just smiled or whatever? Or was it just a quirk?

Quote: a plate @ 1st May 2022, 8:54 PM

In the ending credits, where they show the cast, how come the man who played Fred the jockey would always be talking (soundlessly of course) to the camera whereas the others just smiled or whatever? Or was it just a quirk?

Yes, I often wondered what Felix Bowness (well known warm up comedian) was saying and hoped there was a lip reader who could interpret

Thank you, Billy Bunter.

Quote: a plate @ 1st May 2022, 8:54 PM

Doesn't help at all but: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/12482/

Linda Regan (April in Hi-de-Hi and now married to Brian Murphy) once said, in answer to that same question "I think he was singing along with the music, or learning his lines for the next episode", which also doesn't help much. I've always assumed, as Aaron suggests in the above link, that, as a renowned warm-up man of over 5,000 studio audiences, he was talking to the audience.

It just goes to show how perceptive Johnny Nash was, back in 1972, when he asserted that there were, indeed, more questions than answers.

Incidentally did you know that Felix Bowness was ABA Flyweight boxing champion of London and the Southern Counties.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 2nd May 2022, 10:01 AM

..................... that, as a renowned warm-up man of over 5,000 studio audiences, he was talking to the audience.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd May 2022, 12:28 AM

Yes, I often wondered what Felix Bowness (well known warm up comedian) was saying and hoped there was a lip reader who could interpret