Red Dwarf 9?

I hear whisperings a new series begins filming next weekend. Anyone heard anything more on this?

Over and above the specials they're currently filming for G.O.L.D.? Or whole, brand new series-y thing?

Dan

Much as I love the show, I think a ninth series would be a mistake. Let it rest in peace.

Yeah, methinks maybe Lee has missed out totally on the specials. (Which are for Dave, IIRC, not G.O.L.D..)

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2009, 2:25 PM GMT

Yeah, methinks maybe Lee has missed out totally on the specials. (Which are for Dave, IIRC, not G.O.L.D..)

Aaahhh I see. Bums. Angry

Quote: Lee Henman @ February 12 2009, 2:27 PM GMT

Aaahhh I see. Bums. Angry

They are proper new episodes for it though, apparently.

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2009, 2:25 PM GMT

Ah, Dave/G.O.L.D. -- they're all four-letter words to me...

Dan

Quote: chipolata @ February 12 2009, 2:20 PM GMT

Much as I love the show, I think a ninth series would be a mistake. Let it rest in peace SPACE.

Fed up of hearing about Red Dwarf to be honest. The show became maudlin and standard sitcom after series 3. The books were funnier than the show - especially the original. As the special effects improved the scripts became weaker.
I realise this opinion is worthy of a fatwa in certain communities.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 13 2009, 10:59 PM GMT

Fed up of hearing about Red Dwarf to be honest. The show became maudlin and standard sitcom after series 3. The books were funnier than the show - especially the original. As the special effects improved the scripts became weaker.
I realise this opinion is worthy of a fatwa in certain communities.

Ahh, really?

1 - 6 were all ace in my view. 7 has no jokes and 8 was like Birds of a Feather or some shit like that.

Standard sitcom - well, I guess it was. But it was packed full of great lines (step forward underrated Chris Barrie). I think it peaked at 4, with 5 being more sci-fi like and 6 suggesting the show might become formulaic. But all still make me laugh!

Well, as always, I defend your right to be wrong. I just think that the first 3 series did what HGTTG did so brilliantly, combining very funny comedy with decent sci-fi. The problem for me was that as the show plodded on was the depth of the characters became shallower. If you go back to series one, the difference in the characters is strong and explained. Just didn't care much about the characters as it went on.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 13 2009, 11:24 PM GMT

Well, as always, I defend your right to be wrong. I just think that the first 3 series did what HGTTG did so brilliantly, combining very funny comedy with decent sci-fi. The problem for me was that as the show plodded on was the depth of the characters became shallower. If you go back to series one, the difference in the characters is strong and explained. Just didn't care much about the characters as it went on.

I think I'd agree that as it went on, it became less and less about the characters as, well, characters and more about them falling into their stereotypes.

I think 6 was the first series that didn't have any 'character' episodes in it.

But the first five were very well rounded, in my view.

Don't want to be sound like I'm slagging it off, twas a great show. Just think like many classic shows it went on too long... As indeed am I. Time to shut up.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 13 2009, 11:40 PM GMT

Don't want to be sound like I'm slagging it off, twas a great show. Just think like many classic shows it went on too long... As indeed am I. Time to shut up.

Like any show that loses a writer, it should probably have ended at 6.

If we write a hit Tim, and you get lured away, rest assured I won't drag the show on like a lame animal.

Unless I have huge gambling debts and ex-wives to pay off, in which case, I will.

:D

I will not let our idea for the sitcom about the world's first rap-artist robot, living with his inventor, the camp Scientologist, and their wise-cracking pet parrot, Mr Peterson, run beyond seven series. By then it will almost certainly lost the power of its premise.

Wow my post 1100. I feel like I'm connected with the TV show The 1100. I feel depressed.