The Rebel

Has anyone watched the Tony Hancock film The Rebel, written by Ray Galton and Alan Simpson? It is a 'cult' film now amongst art fans. I bought it about four years ago but never got round to watching it. As I'm going through a big Galton and Simpson phase at the minute, I think I'll put it on tonight. Anyone else seen it?

- How do you mix your paints?

- In a bucket with a big stick.

You'll enjoy this Jack. Put it on.

Yep, an excellent watch indeed. Took me years to get round to buying it on video and then the player broke and I never replaced it. Time to get the DVD methinks.

Incidentally you may be interested to know that Galton & Simpson told me that they had written three scripts (for which they hadn't been paid) as a follow up and Hancock dismissed them as not being international enough.

Apparently he would be excited about a script and then go quiet for ages and when pressed he'd wheel out the 'international' line.

It was after the third script that they effectively broke up. Hancock make another film after The Rebel - it was in black and white and set in a drab British seaside resort. It was called 'The Punch and Judy Man'.

Oh yes Tony, very international.

Yes, it's crap!

Quote: Tuumble @ February 7 2009, 1:18 AM GMT

Incidentally you may be interested to know that Galton & Simpson told me that they had written three scripts (for which they hadn't been paid) as a follow up and Hancock dismissed them as not being international enough.

Apparently he would be excited about a script and then go quiet for ages and when pressed he'd wheel out the 'international' line.

It was after the third script that they effectively broke up. Hancock make another film after The Rebel - it was in black and white and set in a drab British seaside resort. It was called The Punch And Judy Man.

You sure they told you that part, or you read it in Fifty Years Of Hancock's Half Hour? ;) (I swear some of that is almost word-for-word identical to the book!)

Anyway.

Yes Jack, it's an excellent film. I caught it on BBC Two a few years ago and bought the DVD double-bill recently-ish, although not got around to watching it yet.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1111930/The-Tony-Hancock-Collection-Punch-And-Judy-Man-The-Rebel/Product.html]
[h=564678]

Yes, I have the DVD double bill. I didn't get round to watching it, but it is snowing heavily again where I live at the moment, so if I am off work tomorrow, I'll definitely watch it.

Quote: Aaron @ February 7 2009, 10:58 PM GMT

You sure they told you that part, or you read it in Fifty Years Of Hancock's Half Hour? ;) (I swear some of that is almost word-for-word identical to the book!)

Almost word-for-word or not I've never read that book so I certainly didn't copy it - I have enough Hancock biographies for my needs anyway.

When I met them Ray Galton told me that the unused film scripts were 'in the other room somewhere' but as I'd seen how much stuff was in the 'other room' I sincerely doubt that were to hand. Tantalisingly near but oh so far away.

Let's face it, the truth is the truth, which is precisely why I didn't need another book to find out about it especially as I'd heard it from the horse's mouth. ;)

The Rebel is tree-mend-oze and don't let anybody tell yah any different.

One of my all time fav British comedies. Pricks and deflates the balloon of the arty-farty set mercilessly.

Sublime!

Quote: Tuumble @ February 8 2009, 9:55 PM GMT

Almost word-for-word or not I've never read that book so I certainly didn't copy it - I have enough Hancock biographies for my needs anyway.

It's no biography!

Quote: Aaron @ February 8 2009, 10:42 PM GMT

It's no biography!

Whatever it is I haven't got it or read it. When I get a moment I'll check it out and see whether I want to add it to my collection or not. :)

In a way Galton and Simpson had already written a far superior gem on the pomposity of artists for Hancock in the wonderful radio half hour 'The Poetry Society'.
On a general note seek out the Hancock radio shows. There are some really adventurous and brilliant episodes which were too obscure/different to have made the transition to TV. G and S are perhaps our greatest living comedy writers.
Certain TV comedy producers and execs should take the time to listen to their old shows. See what is achieved when writers are allowed their freedom.
And when the intelligence of their audience isn't underestimated.

Yeah I think that that's (post above providing nobdy nips in as I write) bang on.

I've often heard G&S allude to this freedom that were allowed back then and they say that of course as time went on it was reined in more and more as Execs had more of a hand in the creative process.

To me they, Clement & La Frenais and also Croft & Perry were the kiddies and I don't think there's a modern-day equivalent (well maybe Elton & Curtis and of late Gervais & Merchant).

This is not intended as an exhaustive list btw it's just those who come to mind of the top of my nut.

Hancock's in it ! What more do you need to know ?

:D

I don't rate his film outings.

I think The Rebel is fandabidozi. The Punch & Judy man is a lot darker though and I would have to say that his best work is the TV and radio stuff.

Not many big sitcoms make the transition to the big screen all that well but I've always thought that The Rebel was one that bucked the trend