Man About The House Page 2

Is Man About The House the only British sitcom ever to produce a superior spin-off?

Possibly not, but I can't immediately think of another.

2012 and W1A?
Army Game and Bootsie & Snudge?
Chucklehounds and Chucklevision?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 15th November 2019, 5:19 PM

2012 and W1A?
Army Game and Bootsie & Snudge?
Chucklehounds and Chucklevision?

I'm not sure I ever saw much of 2012 or W1A, and I've certainly never seen Chucklehounds or Chucklevision so I can't really comment on the differences between the two pairs of programs.

I used to think The Army Game was brilliant and that Bootsie and Snudge was just okay, mainly because I liked the two titular characters.

Man About The House was a pretty simple joke-based sitcom but George and Mildred combined jokes and character to produce some very memorable comedy.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th November 2019, 5:11 PM

Is Man About The House the only British sitcom ever to produce a superior spin-off?

Possibly not, but I can't immediately think of another.

The Likely Lads & Whatever Happened To... ...?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th November 2019, 6:06 PM

Aha! Now we have it!

Spot on, Billy! Laughing out loud

As good as The Likely Lads was, Whatever Happened to... was vastly superior.

What's more, we're talking about the same sort of difference that exists between Man About The House and George and Mildred.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th November 2019, 6:06 PM

Surely Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? is a sequel rather than a spin-off?

Quote: Aaron @ 15th November 2019, 8:46 PM

Surely Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? is a sequel rather than a spin-off?

D' oh! >_<

It looks like Man About The House might still be unique.

While we are waiting for further comments and/or suggestions, here's an anecdote:

Many years ago, I phoned my girlfriend and asked her if she wanted to go to Salford Rugby Club to see George Roper.

She wasn't thrilled but she was okay with the idea and so we went.

After some hours of drinking and general merriment, she was absolutely amazed when he was announced and a very large, rotund Scouser came out on stage and started telling jokes.

Yes, you've guessed it - she was expecting Mildred's husband!

PS: That anecdote is absolutely true and it's bang on topic.

PPS: They can't all be gems! Laughing out loud

Quote: Aaron @ 15th November 2019, 8:46 PM

Come to that, so is George and Mildred a sequel, ie the characters from the original programme at a later stage of their lives. As, of course, is the aforementioned Bootsie &-Snudge and Robin's Nest. And probably most other "spin-offs" that one can think of.

Hancock

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th November 2019, 8:34 AM

Come to that, so is George and Mildred a sequel, ie the characters from the original programme at a later stage of their lives. As, of course, is the aforementioned Bootsie &-Snudge and Robin's Nest. And probably most other "spin-offs" that one can think of.

George & Mildred would definitely be a spin-off, as it takes secondary characters and puts them in a new setting. Robin's Nest similarly: a new setting for just one of the main characters, in a new situation and with new other key characters.

I think this requires a new thread...