What is the appeal of Phill Jupitus? Page 5

Quote: catskillz @ July 14 2011, 3:57 PM BST

Let's face it, the funniest thing about him is his name.

Yep, and that's not funny in he slightest. Hound is overrated by some, though if you're that bad someone's bound to overrate you.

I heard Jupitus did a stand-up show about Star Trek and gets gigs at sci-fi conventions off the back of it, or used to at least.

Also, shouldn't it be Phil with one 'L'? Can't a mod change the title?

Quote: Vader @ July 14 2011, 4:23 PM BST

Also, shouldn't it be Phil with one 'L'? Can't a mod change the title?

That would be a bit silly, since he spells his name with two.

What a buffoon!

:D

Bufffoon!

He used to do stuff with Billy Bragg so he's probably a good egg but his comedy doesn't leap out to me.

Quote: Badge @ July 14 2011, 8:08 PM BST

He used to do stuff with Billy Bragg so he's probably a good egg...

I fail to understand the lack of excitement generated by the news that Chumbawamba's going to be doing a musical (with or without Jupitus). In Leeds.

Shouldn't this be on the biggest thing you can imagine thread?

Ooh I went and done me a fat joke

Not a big fan of PJ but I was watching the episode of Comedy Greats featuring Spike and they had comments from Andre Vincent. Couldn't believe how similar he was to Phill almost to the point of seeming related. Then I Googled and found that the two had been in a show called "Waiting For Alice" as Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

Jupitus knows his stuff on NMTB, but otherwise I find him a bit boorish. I read his book about the stint he did presenting the BBC Radio 6 Breakfast Show a while back and he came across as a rather a musical snob, which is pretty much why I never lesson to R6!

There is no appeal to Phill Jupitus... he is so annoying to me. He literally ruins any programme he is on in my opinion... the amount of QI episodes I haven't been able to watch is shocking.

I've always regarded Phill Jupitus as a significant comedy talent.

There are "comedy" people on TV in whom I can detect absolutely no comedy talent whatever: compared with these people, Phill Jupitus is a veritable god of comedy.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying he's up there with Jimmy Carr, Peter Kay, Steve Coogan and Frankie Boyle but, having said that, exceedingly few people are.

On the other hand, he's a million miles above the likes of . . . well, let's not mention names.

Phill Jupitus is, in my view, deserving of his place in the British comedy hierarchy.

Jupitus is a great comic. He's paid his dues, gigging since the 80s, his poetry is great too, at least when he performs as Porky the Poet. His routine about London Zoo from Quadrophobia is quote possibly one of my favourites from any comic.

For me, he's like the curate's egg.