The Old Guys - Series 1 Page 7

Quote: Rustle T Davis @ February 2 2009, 8:49 AM GMT

Clive: Don't be silly. I'm quite aggrieved. Why should I do this? I'm not getting paid, am I? (Awkward silence). Well, get on with it!

Wow - that is rude! Thanks for posting those snippets. I thought Dr Who might have been reading too much into what Clive was saying - but now I've seen the evidence I think it's pretty clear!

Anyway, as for The Old Guys... for what it's worth, I really enjoyed it. Bearing in mind it was the first episode, I think they did a very good job. It'll bed down into a popular series I'm sure of it.

Some people have attacked it for not being cutting edge enough, but they're missing the point I think. This has been commissioned as a family comedy - and we all know how hard they are to get right (Life Of Riley, Parents Of The Band anyone?)... so I think the writers should get a knighthood for making something with broad appeal that doesn't stink.

Quote: chipolata @ February 2 2009, 12:53 PM GMT

Try not to get involved in any more protracted arguments for a while, Stott.

But then what else would my life consist of?

Quote: Mark @ February 2 2009, 12:56 PM GMT

Wow - that is rude!

Yeah, it really put me off him when I read it. Made him sound like a complete prick.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 2 2009, 12:36 PM GMT

It annoys me when people think a show should be given time to settle in; time for an audience to get to know characters etc. It doesn't happen with films. You never think to yourself, the first 30 mins of a movie will be crap because you are not familiar with the characters. All sitcoms should hit the ground running. Friends, Roseanne, The Cosby Show all did, as well as several others.

Sorry, Don, I think you're wrong. British sitcoms do need time to bed in as they're much more about laughing at characters you've grown to love rather than quick-fire gags (which the three American comedies you've just named are more concerned with).

History backs me up on this point firmly. Fawlty Towers, Only Fools And Horses and Blackadder are just three of the shows that, if judged on their first series alone, would not have returned (not even first episode, first series!).

Quote: chipolata @ February 2 2009, 12:53 PM GMT

Try not to get involved in any more protracted arguments for a while, Stott.

Am I considered an argument king then? I do tend to get drawn into them. What else am I supposed to do though? My f**king job?!?!

Quote: Mark @ February 2 2009, 1:02 PM GMT

History backs me up on this point firmly. Fawlty Towers, Only Fools And Horses and Blackadder are just three of the shows that, if judged on their first series alone, would not have returned (not even first episode, first series!).

I agree with your argument, but not sure I'd put Fawlty Towers in with them. A Touch Of Class was the first episode (flawless genius), followed by The Builders, The Wedding Party, The Hotel Inspectors, Gourmet Night and The Germans. Every one a classic.

Quote: Mannikin Bird @ February 2 2009, 10:46 AM GMT

As an aside, for those that don't know, Clive Swift is Joe Swift's Dad.

And someone we might have heard of, David Swift (Drop The Dead Donkey), is Clive Swift's brother. ;)

Quote: Mark @ February 2 2009, 12:56 PM GMT

This has been commissioned as a family comedy - and we all know how hard they are to get right (Life Of Riley, Parents Of The Band anyone?)...

Parents Of The Band?! It wasn't anywhere near bad enough to warrant a mention in this discussion!

Quote: Mark @ February 2 2009, 1:02 PM GMT

Fawlty Towers ... if judged on first series alone, would not have returned (not even first episode, first series!).

?!!!!!!?/??!!!?!?!?!1?!!//!/!????

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 2 2009, 12:50 PM GMT

It may annoy you, but what I said is true.

What annoyed me was the way you said "should", like it's some kind of sitcom rule.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 2 2009, 1:12 PM GMT

What annoyed me was the way you said "should", like it's some kind of sitcom rule.

It is, didn't you recieve the manual? :)

Quote: chipolata @ February 2 2009, 1:06 PM GMT

I agree with your argument, but not sure I'd put Fawlty Towers in with them. A Touch Of Class was the first episode (flawless genius), followed by The Builders, The Wedding Party, The Hotel Inspectors, Gourmet Night and The Germans. Every one a classic.

Absolutely everyone of those is a classic. In fact all six are on my 'favourite episodes of all time' list (Fawlty Towers was the reason I set up this website in fact, but that's another story).

That said, when those six episodes first went out the reviews from both the audience and press were poor. The reason being, people hadn't adjusted to Basil by that point. However, as has been well documented, when it was repeated, that's when it became a hit.

On a much smaller scale The Inbetweeners is another example of this. As our forum thread shows, at first most people were not that impressed... but now we look back on the first couple of episodes with the knowledge of the characters gained from subsequent episodes, things are different.

Anyway, my fault, but we're getting off talking about The Old Guys, which is what this thread should be about...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 2 2009, 1:13 PM GMT

It is, didn't you recieve the manual? :)

I work for the BBC. The budget doesn't stretch to manuals!

I haven't quite made my mind up about this yet. My wife decided after 10 minutes that it was abysmal and refused to watch anymore! I thought that was a bit harsh but I never really warmed to it. I definitely think the acting lets it down. Swift and Asher are terrible and the girl from The IT Crowd is vomit inducing. Pack was only OK, nowhere near as good as he is in The Vicar Of Dibley. I thought there were some decent lines but not enough. The visual gags, the 'fall' and the pissing in the sink fell pretty flat. Also, the "quick, mention Facebook and we'll immediately be cool with the kids" stuff was shite. As was the fact that she showed her Dad the guy's Facebook profile and it was obviously just a blue screen with a picture on it. Very poor. Compare that with Lead Balloon's use of YouTube.

Pretty average start but I'll give it another go. It's definitely not as bad as Life Of Riley but is about 1000% away from being as good as Still Game.

Quote: Rustle T Davis @ February 2 2009, 8:49 AM GMT

Incredibly rude. At first you think it's tongue in cheek, but as the interview progresses you realise that he really is an ass. I have a copy of the interview - my friend who buys the DW magaizine sent it to me. Here are a few samples:

Benjamin Cook: Hello, Clive. I'm recording this interview on tape, if that's OK.

Clive: Don't you know shorthand?

Ben: I find that dictaphones are more reliable in interview situations. I want to quote what you say accurately.

Clive: A lot of actors won't do interviews on tape.

Ben: I've never noticed that, in almost a decade of doing this job.

Clive: I'm an actor. As soon as you switched that thing on, I'm performing. I think you'll find that proper journalists know shorthand.

Ben: I think you'll find that I'm not a proper journalist, in that case.

Clive: Don't be silly. I'm quite aggrieved. Why should I do this? I'm not getting paid, am I? (Awkward silence). Well, get on with it!

Ben: Right. Could you tell me a bit about your character in Voyage of the Damned?

Clive: You don't need me to tell you that. Have you read the script? That's what I perform. YOU can tell them about my character. What a silly question.

He then goes on to admit having no clue about Doctor Who, having never read another Doctor Who script (and presumably never seeing the programme), had no idea his character was an alien, didn't know which decade the Titanic sank in... etc., etc.

Further on in the interview:

Ben: Have you always wanted to act?

Clive: I've always wanted to perform which is slightly different.

(goes on about his caberet show in which he plays Richard Bucket from Keeping Up Appearences).

Ben: Do people shout "Richard" at you in the street?

Clive: Sometimes. I tell them to f**k off.

Ben: Right. One final question...

Clive: I think that's more than enough, isn't it? How many pages are you going to have on Mr Copper? (his DW character).

Ben: Well, I was just going to ask...

Clive: There's no reason why I should talk to you at all, so you shouldn't push it. I'm sure you'll write something very nice (stoney silence). I know that you all think that this is a big world, this Who business. But it isn't. There are much bigger things than this.

Ben: Maybe, but it means a lot to a great many of us.

Clive: Yeah, yeah, goodbye.

What a lovely man. Sick

Wow, what a shocking interview! And to say the F word like like, especially when talking about fans. Terrible.

Thanks for the transcript.

I liked this show alot, Clive Swift was great, Roger LP was also good, but at times seemed not to struggle, but maybe overact.

"journalist"?

Quote: Griff @ February 2 2009, 5:35 PM GMT

that proper journalists know shorthand. It's rude as f**k but it does put the spod in his place.

It is so rude it's sort of funny, but I bet most modern journalists, or interviewers, don't know shorthand. Thay probably just record the conversation and make the odd note as they go along.

I think the only thing that makes it surprising is the fact that Swift always plays such a nice guy!

He really must be a good actor!