The Old Guys - Series 1 Page 6

I rather liked it. I thought it had some good moments although for some time I was comparing it to Peep Show. I thought some jokes were predictable, such as the scene in which Roger Lloyd-Pack burned his mouth. After that, you knew that some gag involving him talking to someone who was either deaf or had a speech impediment that he was going to offend.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 1 2009, 3:35 PM GMT

As this first episode wasn't written by them, it'll be interesting to see what the quality is like when Bain And Armstrong are actually credited as writers.

Indeedy.

I was very impressed with this show. The best opening episode in a very long time - although, like a lot of shows recently, this ep didn't feel like it was meant to go first. Still, fine all the same and Roger Lloyd Pack and Clive Swift were likeable as always.

Quote: Dave @ February 1 2009, 4:05 PM GMT

I was very impressed with this show. The best opening episode in a very long time - although, like a lot of shows recently, this ep didn't feel like it was meant to go first. Still, fine all the same and Roger Lloyd Pack and Clive Swift were likeable as always.

Interesting you should say that as that was a comment my wife made. I went on to explain that a show has begin and end with the status quo so the show can be repeated in any order at a later date. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the first episode recorded.

Having said that it may have seemed a bit puzzling for someone who didn't have a little background on the characters as us Last Laughers have...not that it was particularly recognisable from the original script.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 31 2009, 10:04 PM GMT

It was quite good I thought; hopefully, given another couple of weeks to settle in, it'll get hit it's groove. I was tittering throughout, and the weeing in the sink reveal was a nice big laugh for me.

I thought the weeing in the sink was really pathetic. And it probably had canned laughter because noone found it funny.

Canned laughter probably gets used if the audience doesn't find it funny enough.

And after all the hype I don't think I'll bother again.

What I tend to find, although canned laughter might not be used, it can be "sweetened", when the laughter is extended or turned up louder. There's a bit in Stranger on the Shore (Only Fools, 2002 Christmas) when after Del says the line about scattering Albert's ashes, "Of course, we'll have to do just as we leave the harbour, we'll be too pissed to do it later", you can hear the audience laughter go up and down erratically, and stop at one point, before continuing for another few seconds.

But back to The Old Guys: Didn't someone say that Clive Swift was rather difficult when interviewed or something? Someone refresh my memory.

Sharp script with actual belly laughs. But Roger Lloyd-Pack, as usual, sounds like a dog who's just learned how to talk, but hasn't yet quite got to grips with English intonation.

Quote: Dave @ February 1 2009, 7:34 PM GMT

But back to The Old Guys: Didn't someone say that Clive Swift was rather difficult when interviewed or something? Someone refresh my memory.

I think Matthew Stott said he came across as quite rude in a Doctor Who Magazine interview.

Quote: Aaron @ February 2 2009, 1:49 AM GMT

I think Matthew Stott said he came across as quite rude in a Doctor Who Magazine interview.

Incredibly rude. At first you think it's tongue in cheek, but as the interview progresses you realise that he really is an ass. I have a copy of the interview - my friend who buys the DW magaizine sent it to me. Here are a few samples:

Benjamin Cook: Hello, Clive. I'm recording this interview on tape, if that's OK.

Clive: Don't you know shorthand?

Ben: I find that dictaphones are more reliable in interview situations. I want to quote what you say accurately.

Clive: A lot of actors won't do interviews on tape.

Ben: I've never noticed that, in almost a decade of doing this job.

Clive: I'm an actor. As soon as you switched that thing on, I'm performing. I think you'll find that proper journalists know shorthand.

Ben: I think you'll find that I'm not a proper journalist, in that case.

Clive: Don't be silly. I'm quite aggrieved. Why should I do this? I'm not getting paid, am I? (Awkward silence). Well, get on with it!

Ben: Right. Could you tell me a bit about your character in Voyage of the Damned?

Clive: You don't need me to tell you that. Have you read the script? That's what I perform. YOU can tell them about my character. What a silly question.

He then goes on to admit having no clue about Doctor Who, having never read another Doctor Who script (and presumably never seeing the programme), had no idea his character was an alien, didn't know which decade the Titanic sank in... etc., etc.

Further on in the interview:

Ben: Have you always wanted to act?

Clive: I've always wanted to perform which is slightly different.

(goes on about his caberet show in which he plays Richard Bucket from Keeping Up Appearences).

Ben: Do people shout "Richard" at you in the street?

Clive: Sometimes. I tell them to f**k off.

Ben: Right. One final question...

Clive: I think that's more than enough, isn't it? How many pages are you going to have on Mr Copper? (his DW character).

Ben: Well, I was just going to ask...

Clive: There's no reason why I should talk to you at all, so you shouldn't push it. I'm sure you'll write something very nice (stoney silence). I know that you all think that this is a big world, this Who business. But it isn't. There are much bigger things than this.

Ben: Maybe, but it means a lot to a great many of us.

Clive: Yeah, yeah, goodbye.

What a lovely man. Sick

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 1 2009, 3:35 PM GMT

As this first episode wasn't written by them, it'll be interesting to see what the quality is like when Bain And Armstrong are actually credited as writers.

Might not make much difference. Bain and Armstrong are good but they are human and can write bad stuff too. Magicians, anyone?

For a first episode I thought this was okay, some of the lines are there purely to explain who is who and why they are there, on that score it was acted well. The casting was really good, possibly KP was not a good move because of the inevitable comparison with 'The IT Crowd' but hey she's a good comedy actress so hopefully it won't be a problem. The laughter levels were a tad too high, I noticed and I'm partially deaf so it must have been off putting for you hearing folk!
As an aside, for those that don't know, Clive Swift is Joe Swift's Dad.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 31 2009, 10:04 PM GMT

It was quite good I thought; hopefully, given another couple of weeks to settle in, it'll get hit it's groove. I was tittering throughout, and the weeing in the sink reveal was a nice big laugh for me.

It annoys me when people think a show should be given time to settle in; time for an audience to get to know characters etc. It doesn't happen with films. You never think to yourself, the first 30 mins of a movie will be crap because you are not familiar with the characters. All sitcoms should hit the ground running. Friends, Roseanne, The Cosby Show all did, as well as several others.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 2 2009, 12:36 PM GMT

All sitcoms should hit the ground running. Friends, Roseanne, The Cosby Show all did, as well as several others.

Not neccessarily. Red Dwarf, The Simpsons and Men Behaving Badly all took time to find their feet.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 2 2009, 12:36 PM GMT

It annoys me when people think a show should be given time to settle in.

It may annoy you, but what I said is true.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 2 2009, 12:50 PM GMT

It may annoy you, but what I said is true.

Try not to get involved in any more protracted arguments for a while, Stott. One a month's quite enough. ;)