The Old Guys - Series 1 Page 3

Quote: Talbot Dave @ January 17 2009, 7:52 PM GMT

As it's now been delayed, when is it going start?

I've just found out it's been moved to Saturday nights (which is slightly odd, but it worked for Outnumbered I suppose). The first episode will broadcast on Saturday 31st.

Quote: Griff @ January 21 2009, 12:26 PM GMT

What timeslot, Mark?

It's going to be about 9pm (probably after Casulty), although the schedule hasn't been fully confirmed yet and so things may move about a bit (they tend to tweak the start times during the week to react to what the other channels schedule so as to, you know, either avoid or deliberately battle a show on the other side. It's a bit of a game really. The channels muck about until Thursday afternoon, when they must all then stop and confirm their schedules so the listings mags can be printed).

I'm looking forward to this but have some reservations. The cast is spot on and the writers have some good stuff on their CVs. The whole sypnosis just seems a little too convoluted. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it?

I thought we might get an English version of Still Game and hopefully we will but it's looks like there may be too much emphasis on the supporting cast.

Still, I'll give it a watch and will approach it with my usual optimism, until it batter sme into submission!

Having just seen a trailer for this on BBC One, I must say that it looks rather promising. I shall await eagerly the first episode. :)

Quote: Mark @ January 14 2009, 10:30 PM GMT

This forthcoming sitcom has 'hit' written all over it. A great writing team and a great cast:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_old_guys/

Starts at the end of the month. More than likely in the Friday 9:30pm slot from the 30th Jan (although that's not confirmed yet).

It was one of the incomplete sitcoms that made up the Last Laugh contest.

Really? No one's mentioned that yet. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ January 24 2009, 12:01 AM GMT

Really? No one's mentioned that yet. ;)

So solly didn't read the rest of the thread before I posted that...

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I bet they don't use anything recognisably like the winner's script entry.

I did the Last Quango one.

The winner is one of the credited writers BillWill. It could've been you if you hadn't done Quango. But they were all shite, so it was hard to choose.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 24 2009, 12:11 AM GMT

The winner is one of the credited writers BillWill. It could've been you if you hadn't done Quango. But they were all shite, so it was hard to choose.

I only entered for the fun of it... Had I got anywhere near the top I would have had to announce my disqualification, because I am the IT support person for Marks & Gran & I doubt if the BBC would have let me win, even if I was brilliant and I 'finished' one of the sitcoms by the other authors.

Not that I discussed Last Quango with M&G or peeked any prior looks at the scripts beforehand, y'know.

IT support for Marks and Gran? Don't tell me they have a server room where they store their old jokes. Actually I love 'em. And you keep getting more interesting Bill. First 3000 SF novels, now this...

(I'm impressed by the SF stuff really.)

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 24 2009, 12:23 AM GMT

IT support for Marks and Gran? Don't tell me they have a server room where they store their old jokes. Actually I love 'em. And you keep getting more interesting Bill. First 3000 SF novels, now this...

(I'm impressed by the SF stuff really.)

The SF interest came before I knew Laurence & Maurice.

I've been an independent IT consultant since 1980 (before that I was programming manager for the University of London Computer Centre, back in the mainframe days). I met LM & MG back in 1989 when they wanted some more RAM to run Wordstar :-) and I've been supplying their computer support ever since, I even used to supply the computers back in the days pf Alomo Productions.

No they don't have a server room :P. about 8 years ago I decided the best approach for professional writers was to have TWO computers, with a shared video/kbd/mouse. One is a lean-mean-writing machine with only the necessary software and a printer, with no access to the Internet so that it is extrememly unlikely to get corrupted, the other is the 'Butler' to the prime machine and handles all email, browsing, music, CDs etc. So if it gets corrupted it doesn't stop them working.

We are on the second iteration of such a pair of computers at the moment.

Very impressive Bill.

Out of interest, was there ever a thread on here to display entries for Last Laugh?

We only read one other entry to Mike Davis PI and are still curious as to the quality of those that stopped us making even the long list.

Obviously ours was shit, it just doesn't seem like it to us.
Even now Rolling eyes

I think there was a Last Laugh thread because loads of us entered it - before we knew what we were doing!

Just set it to 'series record' on my Virgin box . .

Got to be worth a punt !

:)

Looking forward to it.