Jasper Carrott Page 3

I haven't seen any Jasper Carrott stuff in ages but it would be sad if somebody who has actually championed new comedy gets tarred with the brush of being old-school unfunny. Things like Carrott's Lib and Carrott Confidential were great in their time and he was one of the few comedians with a relatively mainstream image who did non-mainstream stuff. His shows gave big breaks to other comic talents like Punt and Dennis, and unforgettably "Dave the Cardboard Box", which is possibly still the funniest stuff Rik Mayall has ever done.

Carrott's Lib was good. Grant and Naylor I think wrote on that. Although I can't remember Dave and the Cardboard box at all. Shame he became a bit crap though.

I hope he does another series of Golden Balls.

Quote: Aaron @ June 30 2009, 9:26 PM BST

Well I'm not sure about Harding, but weren't Carrott and Connolly originally comic-folk acts who gradually went more and more to the emphasis of the comedy?

True don't know how I forgot that. Connolly started off in a group called Humblebums with Gerry Rafferty and Carrott had his own folk club called The Boggery

Quote: Yellows 586 @ July 1 2009, 2:39 AM BST

Carrott's Lib was good. Grant and Naylor I think wrote on that. Although I can't remember Dave and the Cardboard box at all. Shame he became a bit crap though.

Chris Barrie made a few appearnces on Carrott's Lib as well which is how Grant and Naylor became aware of him

Quote: Griff @ July 1 2009, 7:50 AM BST

Jasper Carrott was fantastic back in the day. I used to have a tape of one of his live shows which I played over and over when I was a kid. That was probably the first comedy I ever got into.

Is that the one when he's goes to watch Birmingham play Man Utd at Old Trafford with his mate who likes water-skiing or something?

Quote: peter gazzard @ July 1 2009, 10:54 AM BST

Chris Barrie made a few appearnces on Carrott's Lib as well which is how Grant and Naylor became aware of him

Forgotten about that. Did Son of Cliche as well didn't he?

He did a really good one about the 1976 FA Cup Final when Southampton beat the Scum. What a lovely day that was. I remember it well.

"Why do the goals all seem to come when you've nipped off to the loo."

Quote: Yellows 586 @ July 1 2009, 3:16 PM BST

Is that the one when he's goes to watch Birmingham play Man Utd at Old Trafford with his mate who likes water-skiing or something?

Bovril!

Quote: Aaron @ July 1 2009, 3:46 PM BST

Bovril!

In a loud Brummy accent.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ July 1 2009, 3:16 PM BST

Forgotten about that. Did Son of Cliche as well didn't he?

think Chris did that yep

Quote: Aaron @ July 1 2009, 3:46 PM BST

Bovril!

yepthat's right and they get separated at the end and he has to cut himsslf, so he will start bleeding and people will mistake the blood for red greaspeint and mistake him for a Man U fan :D think its something like that

It's when their tickets were in the United supporters end and his friend goes off for refreshments . . .

On returning he shouts very loudly in a thick brummie accent 'Hey, Carrott! They've got no cowin' Bovril!"

Hey everyone,

I tell you what would make me happy. I'd really like to see some of his original vinyl re-released on CD or failing that MP3. I've got a bunch of them which I've picked up in various second hand places and treasured them but unfortunately I've not got a suitable pre-amp for my turn table.
There are some classic gems contained on these, and although he's preformed some of the material since there are some fantastic songs and sketches you just can't get on CD / DVD.

Here's a bonus track I found on YouTube, it was actually a sound check that you could only hear on the original record. It's wicked. :OD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKpuU2k1zD0

Here's another classic... Nutter On The Bus! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYYo49R_ZS0

I did love him back in the seventies.
& he's still an uncrowned national treasure

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 8 2013, 1:34 AM GMT

I did love him back in the seventies.
& he's still an uncrowned national treasure

He needs to shrug off those golden balls and get back on stage. That would be money well spent, guaranteed.

I don't mind a bit of Jasper. I immensly enjoyed The One Jasper Carott sketch show he did for the BBC last year in 2012. I hated him in The Detectives though, but I do hate the show!

Quote: G180e @ March 8 2013, 5:31 PM GMT

I hated him in The Detectives though, but I do hate the show!

Why? The Detectives was brilliant! That sketch on the One JC hinted that it may come back, but it hasn't happened.