Jasper Carrott

Probably my favourite stand up comedian.

It's a pity he's doing Goldenballs. He should do another stand up show and put the world to rights in the late 2000s.

I agree. Would be a welcome return.

I saw Jasper in stand up in London some time this last decade (can't recall when). He was one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen live. He didn't even need to try and command his audience. People just seem to love him and hang on his every word while he is performing.

For me he is in my top three live acts I've seen. The other two being Billy Connolly and Ben Elton.

Def.

I used to love Jasper Carrott as a kid, but then I noticed that he had a team of writers rather than coming up with the material himself, so I got put off. But then I found out that most of the old timey American comedians of the 1940s-1960s used to have people writing for them and that it's all about the performance.

Nowadays I'm torn. Is writing your own material an integral part of being an excellent stand up comedian/performer or is it all the delivery?

Jasper is one of my very favourite stand-ups, alongside Alexei Sayle, Stewart Lee and Jerry Sadowitz. I get the impression that he doesn't think he has a place in the modern comedy world, with its reliance often on the inyourface type of humour rather than his more subtle work. Which is a shame. I think a new Jasper tour would be very welcome and popular.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 15 2009, 9:31 AM GMT

Jasper is one of my very favourite stand-ups, alongside Alexei Sayle, Stewart Lee and Jerry Sadowitz. I get the impression that he doesn't think he has a place in the modern comedy world, with its reliance often on the inyourface type of humour rather than his more subtle work. Which is a shame. I think a new Jasper tour would be very welcome and popular.

That's really sad. I like to think of stand-up comedy in the same terms of music - there's lots of different styles and performers, but everybody has different tastes. Sure, there's a few in-your-face comedians out there, but there's also hugely successful acts like Bill Bailey and Ross Noble (off the top of my head) that don't rely on shock tactics to get laughs.

Hell, if anything, comedians like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr who rely on rapid-fire one-liners are a bit of a throwback to comedians of the 1960s and 1970s.

So Jasper Carrott should have no fear.

Quote: glaikit @ January 15 2009, 9:48 AM GMT

Hell, if anything, comedians like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr who rely on rapid-fire one-liners are a bit of a throwback to comedians of the 1960s and 1970s.

This is very true. It's often considered that Jasper operated outside of the mainstream and was a forerunner to the alternative comics of the eighties.

If anything his style is more iconoclastic and certainly more timeless that that of your given examples.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 15 2009, 9:52 AM GMT

If anything his style is more iconoclastic and certainly more timeless that that of your given examples.

Very true.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 15 2009, 9:31 AM GMT

I get the impression that he doesn't think he has a place in the modern comedy world, with its reliance often on the inyourface type of humour rather than his more subtle work.

When he picked up his award at the recent comedy awards in December, the speech he gave certainly made it seem like he was hanging up his gloves for good. It seemed to me very 'farewell' in nature. He also looked a bit on the ill side from his appearance so I hope he is ok.

Def.

Quote: glaikit @ January 15 2009, 9:27 AM GMT

I used to love Jasper Carrott as a kid, but then I noticed that he had a team of writers rather than coming up with the material himself, so I got put off. But then I found out that most of the old timey American comedians of the 1940s-1960s used to have people writing for them and that it's all about the performance.

Nowadays I'm torn. Is writing your own material an integral part of being an excellent stand up comedian/performer or is it all the delivery?

I don't think it's a problem to have your material written for you. One of my old time favourites, Frankie Howerd, had his material written for him by people such as Galton & Simpson, Jonny Speight and even some from Marc Blake. But for Frankie it was indeed all about the delivery with every pause, slur and stutter planned and written to perfection.

I used to love Julian Clary's routines back in the late 1980s when he was The Joan Collins Fan Club, but I think most of this was written by Paul Merton. Doesn't put me off though as I used to enjoy Julian's delivery.

Def.

Quote: Griff @ January 15 2009, 11:57 AM GMT

;)

As I wrote that bit I did think about how it could have been written in a similar manner to 'I love a warm hand on my entrance'. But my maturity got the better of me. Good to see that wasn't the case for you. :P

Def.

Quote: Griff @ January 15 2009, 12:12 PM GMT

What kind of mature adult has 5000+ posts on a website like this?

:D It is like a badge of failure, the more posts you have. With each one a little bit more of your soul dies.

Jasper Carrott

The case for...

Carrott's Lib was superb Saturday night entertainment, with his replacement of the Irish in gags with Sun readers, the continuing adventures of Dave the Cardboard Box, and Loudon Bleeding Wainwright III as his regular musical guest.

Discovered Punt and Dennis for Carrott Confidential.

Invented alternative comedy in the UK, along with Billy Connolly.

Sprung forth Lucy Davis from his loins.

The case against...

From Birmingham.

I think he recognises that, too.

Still, if Bob Monkhouse can make a comeback...

Not these days, obviously.

Quote: chipolata @ January 15 2009, 12:14 PM GMT

:D It is like a badge of failure, the more posts you have. With each one a little bit more of your soul dies.

Aaron FTW! :D