You UK fans are so friggin' lucky!

As an American fan of British sitcoms, it's almost impossible for me to find inexpensive copies of shows. There are a few people that I've managed to trade with, and there's always torrent sites, but it's such a drag trying to track these shows down.

Benn, get yourself a multi-region DVD player then you can pick up the sitcom box sets from Amazon.co.uk. They should import to the USA.

Alternatively get yourself a reliable friend in the UK who can pick up the boxsets in cheap sales ie play.com and send them over to you.

Best of luck.

Def.

Link removed.

Like funfile, but only for British stuff.

Fairly sure you can just sign up, but let me know if you need an invite.

Quote: Deferenz @ January 12 2009, 8:07 AM GMT

Benn, get yourself a multi-region DVD player

Or find the code to unlock the multi-region on the one you have. PM me with the model you have if you want a quick fix. Provided it's not a Sony. They're a pig to unlock.

Quote: Mav42 @ January 12 2009, 8:35 AM GMT

Link removed.

Like funfile, but only for British stuff.

Fairly sure you can just sign up, but let me know if you need an invite.

As he said, "there's always torrent sites". It's clearly a second-best option he's currently settling for out of necessity, but wants the actual DVDs.

Your link has also been removed.

I do have a multi-region player but I've been told that the shipping charges from Amazon.co.uk are insane! I have a nice little collection going now, but there are so many others that I'd like to have.

Have you looked at the charges yourself?

Quote: Aaron @ January 12 2009, 11:09 AM GMT

As he said, "there's always torrent sites". It's clearly a second-best option he's currently settling for out of necessity, but wants the actual DVDs.

The reason given (in part, at least) for shunning the torrent sites was that "it's always a drag trying to track these shows down."

With the site linked, I've never found that to be a problem.

Quote: Aaron @ January 12 2009, 3:40 PM GMT

Have you looked at the charges yourself?

Agreed.

Benn, check them out first. I have imported things from USA using Amazon.com and have paid the charges which I did not think were that bad seeing as I was having the DVD sent across the atlantic.

Here are the rates for Amazon.co.uk to ship to USA http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=11072991

Def.

That's actually not too bad.

I think America is better in some ways with UK TV shows as I used to travel to the states every month with work and noticed that Barnes & Noble had every episode of Are You Being Served in a box set and we don't even have that over here as we only have up to series 7 of AYBS so far.. Also they had some great box sets of Keeping Up Appearences too... better than the ones we have here in the UK.

http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=are+you+being+served

The amount of British shows available in America has always been quite depressing. Best to not think about it, I've found.

Quote: Aaron @ April 12 2009, 2:14 PM BST

The amount of British shows available in America has always been quite depressing. Best to not think about it, I've found.

I was really surprised at the level of DVDs in America of Britsh sitcoms that you couldn't get here in the UK. As a big fan of Are You Being Served? I was going to buy a couple of American DVDs to finish my collection off but they have mixed up the episodes on the DVDs in America so they don't come in the same order...! So you would need to buy them all again to ensure you had all the episodes..Arh!

I order DVDs, CDs and books from Amazon UK all the time. Shipping isn't all that expense (but there's no free shipping for orders over $25) and items usually arrive in a week or less.

Hey Ben I also started this post with all the available Region 1 Britcoms available to us North Americans: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/11368