British Comedy Guide

Plot / Sub Plot Question Page 4

Nogget

• Thursday 22nd October 2015, 1:21pm
  • England
  • 6,620 posts
Quote: Marc P @ 7th January 2009, 3:32 PM GMT

I had a script editor complain to me once that a script was too hard to edit as everything was connected to each other.

That is interesting, I'd always wondered why B plots usually don't relate to the A plots, when it would seem like the best way of doing things.

Paul Wimsett

• Thursday 22nd October 2015, 2:40pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,395 posts

In my opinion if anyone tries to narrow down the number of plots in your drama they are trying to soft soap you.

enigmatic

• Friday 23rd October 2015, 3:18pm
  • England
  • 241 posts
Quote: Nogget @ 22nd October 2015, 1:21 PM BST

That is interesting, I'd always wondered why B plots usually don't relate to the A plots, when it would seem like the best way of doing things.

A simple and likely the most common answer would be sometimes people have decent ideas which don't really connect to anything and aren't really big enough to build a whole episode with

Unconnected B plots are also useful for changing the tone of something that might be too dark/tense otherwise, and revealing/reminding things about the characters' personalities that the A plot can't

Davey Jay

• Friday 23rd October 2015, 6:45pm
  • Manchester, England
  • 224 posts

Yep

I've been spending time with a couple of musicians recently and they've been teaching me about the 'story' of a song. And likewise, the melody of a story. You have to give the reader ups and downs in what's happening and how they feel when they read it.

Nogget

• Saturday 24th October 2015, 3:32pm
  • England
  • 6,620 posts

So are there any examples of subplots that people here admire?

Paul Wimsett

• Monday 26th October 2015, 8:54am
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,395 posts

Subplots are just plots which don't sustain a full episode, Nog.