Comedy.co.uk Awards 2008 Page 3

I wasn't too surprised by the results, I agree with most of them. I can see why Outnumbered is so popular even though I can't watch it. Nice work.

How many votes did School Of Comedy get?? Just my token one?

Quote: Seefacts @ January 19 2009, 1:59 PM GMT

Aaron: Admit it, even you didn't vote for it. Kill darkies. And the french.

JOKE???

Eh?

Huh?

Anyway, back to the awards... The editors' choice award was heartbreakingly hard to choose, and I'm not entirely happy with the end result. I'd really have liked to be able to give the superb BBC Four sitcom Freezing some recognition - especially in light of Tom Hollander's fabulous performance as Leon - but alas not this time. Hopefully a second series will be produced so that I can highlight it with the recognition it deserves.

Can I ask a question? If the Panel Show/Satire Awards were two separate awards covering panel shows and satire in their own right, what would have the results have been then?

Harsh on Lab Rats, which for all its faults was a lovingly crafted show with some genuinely funny moments. I can only assume that not many people saw Clone.

Quote: Timbo @ January 19 2009, 4:02 PM GMT

Harsh on Lab Rats, which for all its faults was a lovingly crafted show with some genuinely funny moments. I can only assume that not many people saw Clone.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't the worst. Perhaps the most disappointing.

Quote: Griff @ January 19 2009, 12:41 PM GMT

So, that's three out of three Comedies Of The Year for Channel Four and interestingly, all sitcoms, well Green Wing is a bit debatable, but it's sitcom-ish.

Interesting analysis Griff! When it comes to all time favourite comedies, sitcoms always seems to come top. Not sure why.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 19 2009, 1:59 PM GMT

It got a few, but if I'm honest not many. It's the same story for pretty much every pilot though... I guess it's hard to put a pilot top of a personal love list, when you only have seen 1/2 hour.

Quote: Timbo @ January 19 2009, 4:02 PM GMT

But equally, yeah, sometimes something gets picked on just because it was seen by more people than something else. There were pilots worse than Lab Rats broadcast last year, but it's the bigger comedies people remember better (or have seen fail) and thus it is these they vote for.

That said, Lab Rats was just awful.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 19 2009, 3:40 PM GMT

Can I ask a question? If the Panel Show/Satire Awards were two separate awards covering panel shows and satire in their own right, what would have the results have been then?

TV Burp was the only satire that did anything really - the rest of the topical satire shows found themselves with negative points. HIGNFY was the next most voted for show in the category, so if they'd been separate categories it would have won the 'best panel show' crown for 2008. Would I Lie To You? and, obviously, Mock The Week were popular too.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 19 2009, 1:18 PM GMT

Hm. I didn't call any of the main ones right. I'm sort of surprised and not surprised at the same time that Inbetweeners managed to beat both Moving Wallpaper and No Heroics.

The Inbetweeners certainly did a good job to come top considering it was an E4 comedy (compared to Moving Wallpaper, which was prime-time ITV1).

Quote: ContainsNuts @ January 19 2009, 1:19 PM GMT

I wasn't too surprised by the results, I agree with most of them.

I was pleasantly pleased to see that the results reflect my personal tastes, it suggests I'm not too out of touch with things. The fact most of the results are predictable is actually pleasing to me too, as it suggests the awards can be taken as quite an accurate measurement of what comedy fans are loving and hating.

Dirk Gently winning best radio sitcom surprised me. It wasn't bad, but never really floated my boat.

I only heard a bit of the first episode. I thought it was rather dull. Cabin Pressure got my vote for best radio sitcom. Surprised it hasn't been repeated yet.

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2009, 11:25 AM GMT

Dirk Gently winning best radio sitcom surprised me. It wasn't bad, but never really floated my boat.

Agreed; Clare in the Community got my vote.

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2009, 11:25 AM GMT

I can see where you're coming from. But Dirk Gently = Douglas Adams = A lot of fans of his work voting for it.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 20 2009, 11:49 AM GMT

I only heard a bit of the first episode. I thought it was rather dull. Cabin Pressure got my vote for best radio sitcom. Surprised it hasn't been repeated yet.

Cabin Pressure certainly deserves a repeat. It was in the 11:30am slot first time round, which was never going to get it the audience it deserves.

Erm, I'm VERY delayed on catching onto this thread but...

8 Out Of 10 Cats worst? WTF :S

Edited by Aaron.