P. G. Wodehouse

I've had a gander around and as far as I can see / remember there's no thread dedicated to this comedy genius.

If you want farce and fabulous wordsmithery (is there such a word) then read as many of his books that you can get yer mitts on.

The famous ones are of course the Bertie Wooster & Jeeves series but there are a whole host of others too. In particular, The Oldest Member tales are superb and don't worry, you don't have to be a golfer to appreciate the fantastic use of English and the subtle laugh out loud humour.

I can think of no better advice for the aspiring writer of comedy than to read and re-read these true gems of the craft.

And if you do read some of his work look up the first published date. You'll be surprised. The man had it by the bucket load.

Greatest English comic novelist? Not sure. For me it's a toss up between him and Evelyn Waugh.

I started on Wodehouse at a very young age as my Dad was a big fan and the books were always lying about the house.

If I had a fiver for every time I've read one (some at least 20 times) then I'd be a rich man.

Timeless, brilliant and head-hurtingly funny!!!

I always preferred Saki, on account of him being a suicidal gayer and entirely embittered.

I understand he was quite a fan of calligraphy, especially stylising the letter C.

He was quite an admirer of nat Cs (kidding).

I thought the Jeeves and Wooster TV show was one of the most perfect bits of telly ever.

I too have many of his books on my shelves. Arrow have recently started reprinting a number of his books that they have the copyright on. I intend to get the whole set!

Edited by Aaron.

Oh yeah and Waugh's not bad writer. Not great but not bad. But as for Nastikoff? I speet of him (one for the purists there). :)

Edited by Aaron.

I don't think there's a better writer of comic prose. The Blandings Castle ones are my favourites. I was interviewed once for a place at Warwick by Germaine Greer and I knew I'd got in because she saw I was reading a Blandings novel, and we spent most of the interview chatting about Lord Emsworth and Bertie Wooster.

For me Waugh doesn't come close. He wrote one brilliant comic novel, Decline and Fall, but otherwise he's not in Wodehouse's class. I don't think Waugh thought so either - he was a huge admirer of Wodehouse.

Quote: John Kelly @ December 30 2008, 11:24 AM GMT

I don't think there's a better writer of comic prose. The Blandings Castle ones are my favourites. I was interviewed once for a place at Warwick by Germaine Greer and I knew I'd got in because she saw I was reading a Blandings novel, and we spent most of the interview chatting about Lord Emsworth and Bertie Wooster.

Was this during her early "hot" period, or later "lizard skin" period?

Quote: chipolata @ December 30 2008, 11:25 AM GMT

Was this during her early "hot" period, or later "lizard skin" period?

I'm afraid this was just over thirty years ago. She was funny and vivacious and very attractive, although very rude to a student who came in with a late essay. Really made me want to go to Warwick, although ultimately I didn't.

The Jeeves and Wooster TV show was excellent. Of course the Fry and Laurie outing was wonderful but I'm old enough to just about remember the Ian Carmichael (Bertie) & Dennis Price (Jeeves) versions too and as a boy I always had, and still do have them in my mind as I read the books.

Fry is a huge Wodehouse fan and I thought his Jeeves was excellent as indeed was Laurie's Wooster.

My only problem, as a major fan, with the modern version was that they mixed and matched sections of different stories for any given TV episode. However the adaptation left the text intact so it didn't really ruin the comedy.

Edited by Aaron.

Just spotted this....

https://www.comedy.co.uk/jeeves_wooster/

:O :O :O :O

I'd be happy to write a review if Mark would like?

Looks like it's already being worked on.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ December 30 2008, 11:30 AM GMT

Edited by Aaron.

Edited where and why?

Typos, I assume.

The only Wodehouse novels I know are the Jeeves & Wooster ones but I'll have to get around to some of his other stuff because J&W are laugh-out-loud funny and very clever.