Best Ever Christmas Movie...? Page 10

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 15th November 2017, 10:31 PM

I watched that a couple of weeks ago, those two as a leading couple were MFEO (hee...)

Lovey

Another sort of Christmassy film I like a lot is Falling in Love with De Niro and Streep, it starts and ends at Christmas time in New York, all roasted chestnuts and tinsel covered bookshops.

Ooh, how have I never seen that?

Quote: zooo @ 15th November 2017, 9:43 PM

Yes! (And You've Got Mail.)
Also Home Alone, Elf, and Scrooged.

I kind of hate White Christmas, because while it might be a decent film there is NOTHING Christmassy in the whole thing until about the last 2 minutes. False advertising.

My Dad - a big Bing Crosby fan - always said that Holiday Inn was much better and I think it featured the song White Christmas first.

Quote: zooo @ 15th November 2017, 11:01 PM

Lovey

Ooh, how have I never seen that?

It's very 80's, made around 1984, you should watch it for Streep's shoulder pads alone.

Watched the 1994 re-make of Miracle on 34th Street on Channel 4 this afternoon. The Richard Attenborough version. Not seen it before.

Much prefer the original 1947 version. Not surprised. Re-makes are rarely an improvement on the original.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 11th December 2022, 11:44 PM

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Christmas? Shouldn't that be the Life of Brian?

All good 1940s/early 1950s Christmas themed atmospheric/lfeel-good/comedy films, rarely, if ever, broadcast but worth seeking out:

The Shop Around the Corner with James Stewart

The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant & David Niven

We're no Angels with Humphrey Bogart & Peter Ustinov

Holiday Affair with Robert Mitchum & Janet Leigh

It happened on 5th Avenue with no-one I've ever heard of

Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck & Sydney Greenstreet

Shop around the Corner probably the best one there.
We're no Angels is pretty good. too.

Shall have to look out a couple of the others, though I find Robert Mitchum hard work.

Duh! Spiceworld. Masterpiece.
Wouldn't it be great to be the Virgin Mary? You could say, 'He's not a very naughty boy. He's the Messiah.'
Some people say the panto format is out of date. Oh no, it isn't.

Quote: Lazzard @ 16th December 2022, 1:27 PM

Shop around the Corner probably the best one there.
We're no Angels is pretty good. too.

Shall have to look out a couple of the others, though I find Robert Mitchum hard work.

The Bishop's Wife definitely worth a watch. Well up there with It's A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street (the 1947 version).

Quote: Lazzard @ 16th December 2022, 1:27 PM

...................though I find Robert Mitchum hard work.

Well I like him, and he's made some great films. Will always watch anything he is in.

It's Barbara Stanwyck I can't stand.

I wouldn't sway it's the best ever Christmas movie ever, but Rare Exports, the Finnish horror film about Santa is very good, and a bit different from the usual Christmas movies. Tangerine is good too.

Alastair Sim's "Scrooge" for me. The best telling of that story ever, and one I never tire of watching

It's not actually a Christmas film per sé but it's got an angel and a harp in it and it's always shown in December on TPTV, This year The Angel Who Pawned Her Harp is on next Thursday 7 December at 11am.

As well as an angel and a harp, it features Felix Aylmer, Alfie Bass, David Kossoff and Harringay dog track {demolished in 1987 and replaced by a Sainsburys). What's not to like? At Christmas.

Trading Places or Bad Santa. Scrooge was good, but not as funny.