Carry On... Page 2

I love the Carry On films.The latter three Carry On England,Emmannuelle and Columbus gradually got worse but give me Carry Ons over sheer tripe like Little Britain anyday of the week.

Just read a very interesting article on the Carry On films and their appeal, purpose and decline.

Located here, if anyone is interested.

OK - I read it. They were of their time and things basically became more explicit so the suggestiveness was obsolete.

I still enjoy them though.

As do I.

I've enjoyed the Carry Ons for many years but now most of the old cast have gone I think it's time to let it rest.
If they want to make saucy comedy films then please do but don't call it Carry On.

Aitch, Huh?

Quote: harryfielder @ July 13 2008, 3:52 PM BST

I've enjoyed the Carry Ons for many years but now most of the old cast have gone I think it's time to let it rest.
If they want to make saucy comedy films then please do but don't call it Carry On.

Aitch, Huh?

I agree.

Some of them were quite funny, I'm thinking of carry on up the jungle, and that french legion one with phil silvers.

But any film where white actors blacked up, and women go ooh cheeky at attempted sexual assault, has got to be very funny to make up for it.

Which they did occaisonally.

Otherwise found the whole genre a bit sinister. Especially the sad impoverished lives of most of the stars.

Better than the Confession films.

It's also that this was the era of Steptoe, Hancock, etc and the films just felt they were from a much nastier place.

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2008, 6:53 PM BST

Some of them were quite funny, I'm thinking of carry on up the jungle, and that french legion one with phil silvers.

But any film where white actors blacked up, and women go ooh cheeky at attempted sexual assault, has got to be very funny to make up for it.

Which they did occaisonally.

Otherwise found the whole genre a bit sinister. Especially the sad impoverished lives of most of the stars.

Better than the Confession films.

It's also that this was the era of Steptoe, Hancock, etc and the films just felt they were from a much nastier place.

True the actors were a strange bunch but that was in the days when homosexuality was not acceptable.

Also you're comparing TV comedy with films which is like Donkeys with Horses. They are a different animal. Nothing sinister unless you can see more into them - or nastier. Maybe it's your mind.

Quote: sootyj @ July 13 2008, 6:53 PM BST

Carry On Follow That Camel was awful! One of the worst of the lot!

Oh I liked it

I think you have to be somewhat devoid of a sense of humour not to enjoy the Carry Ons.

I mean I must have seen all of them tons and tons of times to the point where you know what's gonna come next but still I laugh my head off.

It's just great British seaside humour that's too politically correct now and that's what sucks about life in general these days.

Just sit down and enjoy the great humour of the Carry Ons if you're feeling down etc and I guarantee they will cheer you up. :)

Quote: Richard Wells @ July 13 2008, 7:18 PM BST

It's just great British seaside humour that's too politically correct now and that's what sucks about life in general these days.

Did you mean incorrect?

Quote: David Chapman @ July 13 2008, 7:25 PM BST

Did you mean incorrect?

Yes I did.

Sorry about that, I knew I typed it too quick
:P

In general I like the early, black & white ones, more than the later offerings. With a few exceptions. Camping & Convenience to name a couple.

I love the smutty, saucy humour of the later (well, middle) ones.