The Simpsons has jumped the shark Page 8

Family Guy is rubbish but I think its huge success pushed The Simpson's writers into trying to copy it's cheap quick gags but The Simpsons can't push it anywhere near as far because it's a family show so it just feels very forced and muted now.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ March 16 2013, 12:48 PM GMT

Family Guy is rubbish

I don't know about that? I think some of the show tunes and set pieces themselves make it very non-rubbish. Yeah, there are lots of cheap gags within it but there also lots of brilliant stuff too. Just watch Stewie and Brian together, it's some pretty phenomenal character work the way they play off each other.

Without doubt this show was its best in the 90's, During which the consistent quality of the writing puts it right up there with the very best shows of all time. Those days are long gone now of course due to the fact that the decision to keep going on past its sell by date to keep the money flowing in was taken. The difference between the quality of the show now and its heyday in the 90s is massive.

I still enjoy it, it has become a slight bit 'odd' from time to time, there have been a few times when I have said "really?" when they've had something utterly ridiculous in there, my only real complaint is that Channel 4 show the same episodes over and over, I saw one episode twice in two weeks.

Quote: Lee @ March 16 2013, 4:09 PM GMT

I don't know about that? I think some of the show tunes and set pieces themselves make it very non-rubbish. Yeah, there are lots of cheap gags within it but there also lots of brilliant stuff too. Just watch Stewie and Brian together, it's some pretty phenomenal character work the way they play off each other.

I can't stand it. I've given it a go plenty of times but there's an awful smugness to it and it just doesn't make me laugh.

Do you think it has influenced The Simpsons and if so for better or worse?

It has influenced The Simpsons hugely, and definitely for the worse. The Simpsons used to have beautiful narratives and character driven plots. Now it's just something that's pumped out filled with topical gags that age it quickly. Homer used to be dumb but it was for good reason, now he's just an idiot for the sake of it.

It used to be such a warm show, when it was hand drawn, and now it's just cold and unrecognisable. It still produces some good lines but it's not worth sticking around for.

Family Guy on the other hand never pretended to be anything else. It is what it is. Rude, crude, clever, stupid and damn right going for laughs. It's not aimed at a family audience. It's for adults and it tries not to patronize them in anyway with its humour and when it does, it acknowledges it as part of the joke.

Quote: Lee @ March 18 2013, 3:52 PM GMT

It has influenced The Simpsons hugely, and definitely for the worse. The Simpsons used to have beautiful narratives and character driven plots. Now it's just something that's pumped out filled with topical gags that age it quickly. Homer used to be dumb but it was for good reason, now he's just an idiot for the sake of it.

It used to be such a warm show, when it was hand drawn, and now it's just cold and unrecognisable. It still produces some good lines but it's not worth sticking around for.

Family Guy on the other hand never pretended to be anything else. It is what it is. Rude, crude, clever, stupid and damn right going for laughs. It's not aimed at a family audience. It's for adults and it tries not to patronize them in anyway with its humour and when it does, it acknowledges it as part of the joke.

Yeah, then we agree. It's just that you like Family Guy and I don't :)

I didn't know we didn't agree! But it's nice to agree, Aaron, close the internet down, we've come to an agreement.

*tumble weed*

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ March 16 2013, 12:48 PM GMT

Family Guy is rubbish but I think its huge success pushed The Simpson's writers into trying to copy it's cheap quick gags but The Simpsons can't push it anywhere near as far because it's a family show so it just feels very forced and muted now.

Maybe The Simpsons has improved then? I stopped watching it at Season 12, but I always buy each new season of Family Guy and South Park. Even tried the first three series of The Cleveland Show. Perhaps time to rediscover 10 years of The Simpsons. Much prefer Futurama though.

Whilst the Simpsons still has Homer it will always be great imo.

Best animated show ever!

The Simpsons was at its peak between series 2 and 7. Then the writers left and the standard plummeted.

I recently watched the first season. They already had great ideas and classic episodes even at this early stage. I prefer these early episode to those of seasons 10-42242422524224423.

Quote: Nick @ March 19 2013, 9:13 AM GMT

The Simpsons was at its peak between series 2 and 7. Then the writers left and the standard plummeted.

* Where did the writers go to?

* Who were there?

* Did/could any come back?

Yeah a lot the original writers of the golden age are still doing some producing on the show eg David Mirkin, George Meyer, Mike Scully,Al Jean (running it), Mike Reiss . The main exceptions are Swartzwelder and Vitti. I think the golden age (2 to 9) was best thing on TV ever and comparing any new comedy to that is unfair. IMO the new episodes are a lot better than anything else new on TV.