After Henry

Does anyone remember the ITV comedy After Henry from the late 1980s? I used to really like that when it was first broadcast, Prunella Scales and Joan Sanderson starred. The first series came out on DVD a while back so I bought it, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed. It didn't seem to be anywhere near as funny as it used to be. Teary

Not seen it myself, but Mark Lewisohn seemed to like it as he included it in his top twenty of all British Sitcoms.

I really rather liked it. :)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/5868

Perhaps it's just me then. Huh? :S

I have just finished watching the first series as it was recommended to me by Valerie Brown on the pension counter's sister Mary. It goes without saying that Prunella Scales is an excellent lead and I am really enjoying what I've seen so far.

It's good stuff. Wish the DVDs would get cheaper though.

Quote: Aaron @ May 3 2010, 2:20 PM BST

It's good stuff. Wish the DVDs would get cheaper though.

I know I was waiting for a while for the complete collection to go down and I've just looked and it's £35.99 but I got it a month ago for £16.97 of the same site. I was very lucky with that price although I don't know why it keeps going up and down in price.

That's just what happens on the DVD market. I've got the first 2 series, so waiting for the complete set or 3 and 4 to drop individually...

I remember watching this sitcom the first time around but I haven't ever seen it since so whether I'd like it now, I'm not sure.

Quote: Richard Wells @ May 3 2010, 4:40 PM BST

I remember watching this sitcom the first time around but I haven't ever seen it since so whether I'd like it now, I'm not sure.

I wasn't born when the first two series first aired but I think it's an excellent comedy. Wasn't sure if it would live up to the BBC radio series but I think it has.

It was one of those safe easy to watch shows like As Time Goes By; not that's there's anything wrong with that, to use a line from a classic US sitcom :)

Quote: James Cotter @ May 3 2010, 2:26 PM BST

I know I was waiting for a while for the complete collection to go down and I've just looked and it's £35.99 but I got it a month ago for £16.97 of the same site. I was very lucky with that price although I don't know why it keeps going up and down in price.

Didn't even know it was out on DVD - must investigate.
Peter Frazer-Jones directed this (was even BAFTA nominated for it), and if he's in the gallery it's usually good.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/after_henry/buy/ :)

All listed there!

I saw series one a wee while ago. I never really watched the original. It was okay but not one of my favourites. I've listened to some episodes as radio plays (which they were originally). I got more enjoyment out if it as a radio play for some reason. Maybe because it is very dialogue based.

I just realised Prunella Scales's character, Sarah France, shares initials with Sybil Fawlty. Probably intentional on Simon Brett's part.