Benny Hill wishing well sketch

I had never seen this short sketch before until today. It's rather funny.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDOTYD_yHw

I remember that.

The guy at the end is Darth Vader isn't it?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kUECHjLXgDw

I think this one's better.

Quote: sootyj @ November 24 2008, 2:39 PM GMT

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kUECHjLXgDw

I think this one's better.

Pretty good too.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 24 2008, 2:37 PM GMT

I remember that.

The guy at the end is Darth Vader isn't it?

Dave Prowse?

Can anyone find the sketch where he did a spoof of The Family, the first docu-soap which was about the Wilkins family in Reading? Benny Hill did the mother brilliantly (but you might only get it if you'd seen the show it was spoofing).

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ November 24 2008, 2:44 PM GMT

Pretty good too.

Dave Prowse?

That's the one.

Heh heh. Anyone know if Benny wrote his own material?

AFAIK, comedy and music was 100% Benny.

Quote: Nick Rivers @ November 24 2008, 2:58 PM GMT

I seem to recall a documentary on Benny Hill which made reference to him sitting waching telly, and then writing down anything that he found funny. And then he'd write it again for his own show. I could be wrong about that, Benny Hill lawyers. I'm sure Aaron will know. But certainly the credit on his show would read something like 'original script and songs by Benny Hill'.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ November 24 2008, 3:04 PM GMT

I seem to recall a documentary on Benny Hill which made reference to him sitting waching telly, and then writing down anything that he found funny. And then he'd write it again for his own show. I could be wrong about that, Benny Hill lawyers. I'm sure Aaron will know. But certainly the credit on his show would read something like 'original script and songs by Benny Hill'.

Or he could have written the whole lot. Probably did. Why the f**k do I care, who am I? Robert f**king Ross? for eg.

I'll crack out the Benny docs later and get back to you.

What makes you run round after nubile young ladies and relieves a tickly cough?

Benyhillin.

Sorry

Quote: Nick Rivers @ November 24 2008, 2:58 PM GMT

Not only did he write some of his material but he also stole loads. Like Chow 'Why you know rissen' Mein was nicked from American comic Buddy Hackett. Nevertheless, Benny Hill was a comic genius no matter what the likes of Ben Elton say.

This is my favourite Benny Hill sketch-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-01FA7_V6QI

Love Benny and a HUGE fan of his stooges Bob Todd and Henry McGee.

Quote: Baumski @ November 24 2008, 10:49 PM BST

Not only did he write some of his material but he also stole loads. Like Chow 'Why you know rissen' Mein was nicked from American comic Buddy Hackett. Nevertheless, Benny Hill was a comic genius no matter what the likes of Ben Elton say.

One or two rather than loads maybe and he used them on a British audience, not an American one, which, legally I believe, made a difference then. Benny was a clever man, he took little bits of inspiration from comedians he liked but who weren't known in Britain, especially Jack Benny but added his own very British style which he developed on his own and was a milion miles away from the American style which balked at any sort of smut and postcard rudeness back then.

So to say he stole is not right at all, but Benny Hill did get through a vast amount of material, I think one or two gags not quite his own is doing really well. And there has never been anyone with the range of skills Benny had, he was as brilliant at visual gags as he was at musical comedy and low rent verbal comedy. People have often commented on how this very British style comedian made it so big in America. I'd say it was because the Americans had finally opened up somewhat from their naturally prudish sense of humour and when they eventually got the Benny Hill show on US TV they just couldn't get enough of that school boy naughtiness they'd been deprived of seeing for so long. And maybe it was his destiny for being one of the very first American comedy loving British comedians? He is of course the greatest British comedian of all time.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 24 2010, 11:50 AM BST

One or two rather than loads maybe and he used them on a British audience, not an American one, which, legally I believe, made a difference then. Benny was a clever man, he took little bits of inspiration from comedians he liked but who weren't known in Britain, especially Jack Benny but added his own very British style which he developed on his own and was a milion miles away from the American style which balked at any sort of smut and postcard rudeness back then.

I think a great deal of Brits stole from the US at that point, especially when putting material on stage.