Frankie Boyle Page 6

He has has no compassion or understanding of human suffering. ... Despicable as well as being utterly utterly gutless and vile.

SHAME ON YOU FRANKIE BOYLE ...

Also, McConville apparently hasn't actually read the book, if his "I read the article" quote is anything to go by.

The Express is shit-stirring. The only effect will be an increase in sales for oor Frankie.

Frankie Boyle hasn't been on TV much recently and has a book out at Christmas - expect to see a few more of these PR-driven "outrage" stories over the next few weeks.

There are no sacred cows in marketing.

Jimmy Carr is catching some flak too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8917831/Mother-of-Down-syndrome-babys-emotional-plea-to-Jimmy-Carr-stop-making-offensive-jokes.html

I rate Carr rather higher than Boyle, but that joke is lame and pointlessly offensive.

I thought it was quite funny.

Quite, I mean that's just being impolite nothing especially radical about that.

I don't get the joke, but it seems like people have taken far more offence than it warrants. As for seeing a Jimmy Carr show when you're feeling depressed and sensitive about a subject like that... Sort of like a black man going to a BNP rally for his first experience of political activism: just naive.

What was the actual joke?

Her letter seems reasonable enough, it's the paper that's trying to make something of it. Doubt the letter ever got shown to Jimmy Carr though.

One mistake I think alot of comedy viewers make is they think; blacks, gays, women, mentally ill, gingers, old folks, chavs, dog owners, students etc etc

shouldn't be so bloody sensitive!
Then they see Boyle, Carr et al and they make fun of them for being fat or having a learning disabled child.

And they say, how dare they pick on me I'm special!

Hence my standing view that it's either all or nothing in the offence stakes.

But I dunno I suppose I'm a hypocrite. In that people with learning disabilities have such a shit time. What with being; assaulted by carers, murdered by their neighbours and not even able to get a job collecting shopping trolleys at ASDA. That adding being mocked by some smuggo in a shiny suit seems well, I dunno rude, unfair something like that?

Quote: AJGO @ November 28 2011, 2:04 PM GMT

What was the actual joke?

Had to do some digging to find it:

"Why are they called Sunshine Variety coaches when all the kids on them look the f**king same?"

It did say he was telling offensive jokes to test what the audience would laugh at though. So he was acknowledging that it was offensive.

Ta

That's the worst excuse for anything since Napoleon said he invaded Russia for dissing his mum.

Quote: sootyj @ November 28 2011, 2:06 PM GMT

But I dunno I suppose I'm a hypocrite. In that people with learning disabilities have such a shit time. What with being; assaulted by carers, murdered by their neighbours and not even able to get a job collecting shopping trolleys at ASDA. That adding being mocked by some smuggo in a shiny suit seems well, I dunno rude, unfair something like that?

But then on the other hand, if you do have a disability, whilst you don't want to see jokes mercilessly mean about that disability, you equally don't want to feel patronised and like some kind of 'special case' who people see as humourless.

In my view, whilst that joke may have indeed upset that mother, it doesn't pass that barrier into being actually vicious about the disability that it would or should have such an effect on the sufferer.