Peter Kay's Special Kay. Page 4

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 17 2008, 1:02 PM GMT

And not that singing woman thing he's doing at the moment. Why is it that the songs he's released as her aren't even trying to be funny? They're just crap songs. I don't get it.

Quote: glaikit @ December 17 2008, 1:24 PM GMT

It's tragic, cos Peter Kay has obviously still got talent. There were bits in that Pop Factor thing that were genuinely hilarious (Paul McCartney mostly). But in between them were minute after minute of...just...nothing. Most of the time it was just like watching an ACTUAL episode of X Factor. Only less funny.

Yes, quite. Both really good points there.

I fast forwarded through the Royal Variety Show last night (Michael McIntyre and Rhod Gilbert both great, especially considering they'd used up material on Live At The Apollo the other week, Jimmy Carr un-naturally a bit flat though). Anyway, I couldn't believe Kay was on the show presenting his lame arse song as a genuine entertainment spectacle.

Quote: Nil Putters @ December 17 2008, 4:29 PM GMT

Zammo.

Just say no...

I think so. And small.

Anyone remember where the PE teacher twatted the bully teacher? Great episode!!

Never even heard of Spicy Tomato wotsits before. Anyone send away for the diary?

Blimey! :O

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 18 2008, 7:02 PM GMT

I did intend banging on about Peter Kay but as this seems to have turned into a Grange Hill thread..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t08nRyXyrSQ

Spin it forward to about 2 minutes if you can't be bothered with the preamble.

Quote: KennyLynchNo1Fan @ December 19 2008, 9:37 PM GMT

I did intend banging on about Peter Kay

Ah go on. :)

Quote: Aaron @ December 19 2008, 9:43 PM GMT

Ah go on. :)

Well, if you insist.

Actually mostly already been said.

With regard to stand up, I think his problem is, he has just run out of stuff to say. The difference between him and Ricky Gervais is that what Kay does is very personal to him. It's about his nan, weddings he went to when he was a kid, his mum and dad, etc etc. There are so many times you can slide across a stage on your knees and get a laugh out of it. Gervais can pick a bigger subject and just be very funny about it.

I reckon the reason Kay still gets voted the best loved comedy hero is because his stand up was so personal, and so easily identifiable, people easily relate to him and feel they know him. Gervais is, in my opinion, funnier but he deliberately adopts a slightly obnoxious persona.

The thing pop factor thing I am half watching now is utter chodder. There is no way that C4 would have commissioned this pile of old toilet if it didn't have Peter Kay written at the start of it.

Quote: KennyLynchNo1Fan @ December 19 2008, 9:37 PM GMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t08nRyXyrSQ

Spin it forward to about 2 minutes if you can't be bothered with the preamble.

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 18 2008, 7:02 PM GMT

I saw a rerun of that episode in the 1990s. Very funny stuff.

And the single could only make No.5 on the Christmas chart. What a crying f**king shame that is.

HA!

Quote: Mick Green @ December 21 2008, 11:49 PM GMT

And the single could only make No.5 on the Christmas chart. What a crying f**king shame that is.

For it to get anywhere at all is criminal. Maybe TV tie-ins and TV led material shouldn't be eligible for the charts?

Quote: Bad dog @ December 22 2008, 9:08 AM GMT

For it to get anywhere at all is criminal. Maybe TV tie-ins and TV led material shouldn't be eligible for the charts?

How would that work for Hallelujah?
The X-Factor winner (sorry don't know her name) was number 1 with Jeff Buckley at number 2, but the only reason he was at number 2 was because they were releasing the X-Factor version . . . so it was technically due to a TV tie-in . . . who wins? . . . only one way to find out . . .FIGHT.

Ban that as well, then.

Quote: Bad dog @ December 22 2008, 9:46 AM GMT

Ban that as well, then.

So the remit has been expanded from TV tie-ins into just music that you don't like?