I read the news today oh boy! Page 679

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 10:31 AM GMT

Only every other Friday.

Yes, I see your point. persecution is persecution irrespective of who's doing it.

True. But also I think your point is probably more to do with capitalism/empire building. In a sense the bigger the 'empire' the less persecuted the dominant ideology within it. But that is where delineation of the persecution and the nature of it is important I guess.

And mostly it's cultural not religious.

Religion is the condom to cultures rapacious willy.

I mean the references to not looking at women is a tiny reference right at the end of the Koran. It's a cultural obsession with honour that blows it out of all proportion.
And any true Christians who's read their bible knows they have to be tolerant, charitable, poor and striving for fairness.

To not see that and be a fundamnetalist is a wilful application of flawed cultural values to religious faith.

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2012, 10:28 AM GMT

No one seems to particularly pick on; Scientologists, Hindus, Budhists (outside of Tibet which is really more racial) or Pastafarians and I think the Rastafarian faith hasn't really had a hard time of it.

Are we counting Pastafarian as an actual religion now? :S

I think Scientology is a bit too new to count.

I suppose Hindus, Buddhists and Rastafarians haven't particularly been persecuted, you're right - I imagine most of the struggles those people have historically had have been tied up in colonialism, not religious oppression.

We could go around in circles with this and debate the crap out of it...but like it or not and I openly generalise here but...we are all led by our beliefs and experiences and that informs the opinions we hold. Some of us have the ability to take an emphatic look at the way others live, albeit alien to what we know or feel comfortable with and can take a more rounded less hardline stance...and some of us do not, there in lies the world's problems. So f**king fix it world!!
I now have a headache and a stack of ironing to attend to.

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2012, 10:35 AM GMT

And mostly it's cultural not religious.

Religion is the condom to cultures rapacious willy.

I mean the references to not looking at women is a tiny reference right at the end of the Koran. It's a cultural obsession with honour that blows it out of all proportion.
And any true Christians who's read their bible knows they have to be tolerant, charitable, poor and striving for fairness.

To not see that and be a fundamnetalist is a wilful application of flawed cultural values to religious faith.

That's a whole new can of worms you're playing with there...

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 10:36 AM GMT

Are we counting Pastafarian as an actual religion now? :S

Bigot.

But the flying spaghetti monster forgives you.

In europe for centuries who knew where religion and politics ended?

Most antisemitism was formented by kings trying to snatch property or get out of paying debts.

The church just did what it was told.

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2012, 10:39 AM GMT

Bigot.

But the flying spaghetti monster forgives you.

I am a devotee of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, I want none of your noodley forgiveness.

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2012, 10:39 AM GMT

In europe for centuries who knew where religion and politics ended?

Most antisemitism was formented by kings trying to snatch property or get out of paying debts.

The church just did what it was told.

Very good point.

Quote: Marc P @ February 22 2012, 10:19 AM GMT

You live in Birmingham Chip.

HOW DARE YOU, SIR! I live in leafy Shropshire.

Quote: chipolata @ February 22 2012, 10:52 AM GMT

HOW DARE YOU, SIR! I live in leafy Shropshire.

Telford ?

:)

Quote: Kenneth @ February 22 2012, 6:20 AM GMT

Unlike that vulgar, ignorant Renegade Taxis, I have shitloads of tranny pooftah friends. The campest ones who constantly ponce about can be somewhat annoying, whereas others who don't mince at all seem much more genuine. Most want to keep their dicks. A few have undergone surgery in Thailand to get the balls cut off, the dick spliced and a vagina made. In all cases except two, this surgery was to please family and boyfriends. A big risk is dodgy (cheap) silicone breast implants that can leak. I cannot match their beauty. I just look like a long-haired bloke in a dress. I didn't wear my wig for a year once, and it contracted such a severe dose of mildew that I had to throw it away. Then I got a nasty eye infection from sharing eyeliner. And I got stabbed twice in my fake tits (football socks in a lacy bra) one night in a bar by an American oilman. It's a hazardous business all right, but at the end of the day, there's usually a few pretty women putting their hands up your dress to see what you've got there. If only I had been born Scottish.

This is my 3453rd post BTW.

Are you done now? Because you have been extremely rude. You have just in on posts I've made unprovoked in the hopes that because I have had disagreements with Dellas and Godot in the past, you can get in on the fun. All you have done so far is just make yourself look really pathetic.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ February 22 2012, 10:18 AM GMT

So it's only just past 10am and world religion and gender identity have been taken to bits, let's throw in the breakdown of society before 11 and we can all be go down the cafe for a fry up.

Do you think society has broken down? For the life of me, I can't think of a safer time to be alive then right now in Britain.

It's one of the things that pisses me off the most about post-apocalyptic visions of the future. Whenever there is a massive natural or manmade disaster, the instinct of society is not to descend into a spiral of anarchy and violence, but to pull together.

Even in hellholes like Somalia, there is some form of order amongst the large societal groupings.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 22 2012, 11:24 AM GMT

Even in hellholes like Hackney, there is some form of order amongst the large societal groupings.

Come on that's just you and AJGO hiding behind the sofa.

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2012, 11:27 AM GMT

Come on that's just you and AJGO hiding behind the sofa.

I don't actually live in Hackney and pretty soon neither will AJ. But as ex-allumni of the great republic of Hacker-stan, Ridley Road market does have the same atmosphere as the guns bazaar in Blackhawk Down.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 22 2012, 11:24 AM GMT

Do you think society has broken down?

No, I have great faith in society actually, just jumping on the 'woe is me and lets all puff air about 'issues' bandwagon.
In other news, I have got precisely zero items of clothing ironed.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ February 22 2012, 11:35 AM GMT

No, I have great faith in society actually, just jumping on the 'woe is me and lets all puff air about 'issues' bandwagon.

Don't you realise that a load of people talking about it on a comedy forum is the only way to get these issues resolved? Personally, I like to be extremely passionate about a cause up until the point that I have to physically do something about it, then I lose interest and 'go off on one' about something else.