I read the news today oh boy! Page 671

Would it be offensive if on a TOWIE ad they'd described it as 'Essexier', or 'Scousier' for that Scouse version?

I know no two situations are exactly alike, but still. I do think it's an over reaction.

What writing a grumpy email to a toothless government body?

By golly Al Quaeda wasted it's time blowing up transport. You lot would shit your selves if Quatada wrote to Points of View.

Quote: zooo @ February 17 2012, 4:44 PM GMT

Would it be offensive if on a TOWIE ad they'd described it as 'Essexier', or 'Scousier' for that Scouse version?

I know no two situations are exactly alike, but still. I do think it's an over reaction.

nb Essexier is quite good.

I'd send that off to TOWIE stat before someone nicks it.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 4:42 PM GMT

Because it's a diminuater It neatly reduces people to a foolish label.

And that can make mockery and prejudice easier than a straight out insult.

If those people have only just started being offended after the whole series entitled My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and its entire content then I remain unmoved. If they were offended before then complaining about an 'er' has made them seem like they have no grasp of language, advertising, or the concept of offence and diminished their reasonable grounds for complaint to my mind.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 4:43 PM GMT

In my case, they said if I didn't get it sorted out, they would burst through my gums eventually - that was all the motivation that I needed.

Because of the sideways growing one, they had to put me under, cut open my gum, saw the tooth in half and then remove it along with the others. It was all done at UCH if I remember correctly.

Worst bit was waking up a bit early from the anasthetic in the recovery room and having a fetus sized wad of congealed blood in my mouth. Got up to spit it out and realised I was still stoned off my ass from the injection.

After that, it was two weeks of pain and stiches falling out, but then it all got back to normal. Though I still have to brush my teeth with warm water because of the tiny gaps left between my teeth.

Do they still use the foetus scale of blood wads at UCH? Thought they would have done away with that by now

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 4:23 PM GMT

Imagine if you uprooted your family from a Third World country and came to Britain? Imagine if in your own country, you had 8 people living to a room? Imagine if in your own country children didn't even go to school?

Asking a Somali family to move from Westminster to Dagenham doesn't really seem that big of a deal.

Well firstly there's an awful lot of families not from Somalia being rousted. Secondly they'll be lucky to get anywhere as close as Dagenham.

And thirdly once you're here and you're a citizen are you suggesting we have 2 levels of citizenship? For natives and none natives?

Will lay off pejorative similees on this one.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 4:43 PM GMT

You should be able to be offended without having to attend a community centre and collect petitions.

Oh and good luck with the teeth, sure they'll sort them selves out soon enough.

I nowhere suggested that was the case or my view.

Thanks.

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 4:52 PM GMT

If those people have only just started being offended after the whole series entitled My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and its entire content then I remain unmoved. If they were offended before then complaining about an 'er' has made them seem like they have no grasp of language, advertising, or the concept of offence and diminished their reasonable grounds for complaint to my mind.

Agreed, if the word 'Gypsy' has positive connotations, then something being 'Gypsier' makes it better. Like, more chocolately.

I mean, it can't work in every case - e.g. Stephen Hawkins, now more handicapped! etc.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 4:46 PM GMT

I'd send that off to TOWIE stat before someone nicks it.

:D

Oh come on.

Gypsy is a word which people can be proud to be associated with.

Gypsier is an assinine joke.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 4:53 PM GMT

And thirdly once you're here and you're a citizen are you suggesting we have 2 levels of citizenship? For natives and none natives?

Yes, yes I do. If you were born in this country and lived in Britain all your life, then yes, you should get preferential treatment to newly arrived citizens.

It's how it works in every other strata of society.

(still don't know why Somalis are coming to London, they weren't ever our colony)

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 4:57 PM GMT

Gypsier is an assinine joke.

Yep. But having wealthy Irish gypos coming to Britain to commit crimes is also an asinine joke.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 4:46 PM GMT

I'd send that off to TOWIE stat before some gypo nicks it.

I'm bloody reduced to reediting my own posts!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 5:01 PM GMT

It's how it works in every other strata of society.

(still don't know why Somalis are coming to London, they weren't ever our colony)

As assylum seekers. Good old Dave is still too much of a pinko to torpedo refugee boats or drag assylum seekers off the eurostar and shoot them.

Give him time though.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 5:01 PM GMT

Yep. But having wealthy Irish gypos coming to Britain to commit crimes is also an asinine joke.

Well that's an interesting concept. A great many communities have a tendency towards certain areas of crime. Albeit in most cases still commited by a small minority.

How do we just ethnically directed criminality with out descending into racism?

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 5:04 PM GMT

As assylum seekers. Good old Dave is still too much of a pinko to torpedo refugee boats or drag assylum seekers off the eurostar and shoot them.

Give him time though.

Will he fook. High immigration levels mean one thing and one thing only, no increase on a minimum wage. The rich are the first to speak out against any tightening of border controls.

Well I can confidently say that there's no issue of crime relating to gypsies, because I watched the series and it wasn't mentioned.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 5:06 PM GMT

Well that's an interesting concept. A great many communities have a tendency towards certain areas of crime. Albeit in most cases still commited by a small minority.

How do we just ethnically directed criminality with out descending into racism?

That is indeed the hottest of potatoes. I think it's all about assimilating to British culture and 'fitting in'. Some communities will always be the marginalised victims, but I don't think it's anything to do with race, more to do with culture.

Quote: Nogget @ February 17 2012, 5:09 PM GMT

Well I can confidently say that there's no issue of crime relating to gypsies, because I watched the series and it wasn't mentioned.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 5:08 PM GMT

Will he fook. High immigration levels mean one thing and one thing only, no increase on a minimum wage. The rich are the first to speak out against any tightening of border controls.

And on that I certainly agree.

Free imigration has certainly supressed workers rights and pay.

Though more from industrious europeans than anything else.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 5:11 PM GMT

That is indeed the hottest of potatoes. I think it's all about assimilating to British culture and 'fitting in'. Some communities will always be the marginalised victims, but I don't think it's anything to do with race, more to do with culture.

Went to an excelent talk on why there have been more statistically more Jewish white collar criminals and fraudsters.

The basic answer being if your government and courts turned you over to the Nazis in the 1940s. And the bank then nicked all your money.

You tend not to trust insitutions or believe they're worth supporting.

Still a minority but it explains the tendency.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 5:11 PM GMT

Though more from industrious europeans than anything else.

I think you forgot the word 'Eastern'.

As for proper EU members, not the dodgy fake ones who come to the EU just to get to Britain, they've also destroyed a lot of British jobs.

So much for learning a European language in school, the employer can now go straight to the source for a native Norweigan, Spanish, Dutch, Greek, etc. speaker right here in London.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 5:14 PM GMT

Went to an excelent talk on why there have been more statistically more Jewish white collar criminals and fraudsters.

Any community that puts out that many accountants and lawyers per head of population is going to lead the way in white collar crime.