I read the news today oh boy! Page 670

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 3:57 PM GMT

Gypsier. With all it's implications of ignorance, plunging cleavage fighty men with tatoos and alround snotty sneering.

That's actually not a bad definition.

Of a good night out in Birmingham certainly/

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 17 2012, 3:59 PM GMT

This is the jewiest thing I've heard in a while.

As in smarter, wittier and more omnipotent than you goyim?

Thanks I'll take that as the compliment it was intended.

Now don't you have some potatoes to write maudlin ballads about?

Quote: zooo @ February 17 2012, 3:52 PM GMT

Lol, knacker? Not heard that before.

Irish gypsy. Though he wasn't Irish, but the rest of my grandparents were/are. Hence him being generally referred to as that in my earshot. :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb/16/housing-benefit-cap-families-central-london

Interesting reading (including the replies)

Do the government even begin to percieve how unbelievablely expenisve it is going to be long term. To deal with the cost of creating employment and hope free ghettos in England. Not to mention the staggering cost of family disintegration.

Quote: sootyj @ February 17 2012, 4:14 PM GMT

Do the government even begin to percieve how unbelievablely expenisve it is going to be long term. To deal with the cost of creating employment and hope free ghettos in England. Not to mention the staggering cost of family disintegration.

Imagine if you uprooted your family from a Third World country and came to Britain? Imagine if in your own country, you had 8 people living to a room? Imagine if in your own country children didn't even go to school?

Asking a Somali family to move from Westminster to Dagenham doesn't really seem that big of a deal.

Quote: Rob H @ February 17 2012, 3:51 PM GMT

*raises head reluctantly above the parapet*

Actually, I thought the 'gypsier' bit was treading on dodgy ground. I can't say I was offended - and my grandad was a traveller (FFS, I'd normally say 'knacker' - maybe I have become all po-faced and PC) - but I can definitely see why people could be offended by it.

Because it takes a minority who have been subjected to both social and legal bad treatment. Who have terrible reputational difficulties and reduces them to a fun pejorative.

Gypsier. With all it's implications of ignorance, plunging cleavage fighty men with tatoos and alround snotty sneering.

The disdainful commericial brand of the word gypsy? Offensive.
The actual programme, which makes X-Factor look like a sensitive documentary about aspirations? Offensive.

The suffix 'er'? It's not an actual palpable emotive thing. The article was specifically about people complaining about the 'er'.

And why the blue f**k should they do one thing to foster community cohesion?

If people are upset by what they feel their public image to be then clearly they give a f**k about community cohesion.

Quote: chipolata @ February 17 2012, 3:53 PM GMT

Are you getting the wisdom teeth sorted? Or just riding it out?

Riding it out. Heard so many horror stories of people losing feeling for months and years and not being able to eat properly. There's enough space for them, they just cause me agony every 1-2 years

As long as you're sure it's not an abscess - that would definitely need treatment.

Quote: keewik @ February 17 2012, 4:29 PM GMT

As long as you're sure it's not an abscess - that would definitely need treatment.

Pretty sure! The pointy sharp bit ripping my gum is quite reassuringly new tooth

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 4:31 PM GMT

Pretty sure! The pointy sharp bit ripping my gum is quite reassuringly new tooth

:O

I had 4 wisdom teeth out in one go - one was growing sideways - and though it was horrible at the time, everything has settled back to normal.

You might have to put on your big girl pants and get it sorted out before something really nasty happens.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 4:34 PM GMT

I had 4 wisdom teeth out in one go - one was growing sideways - and though it was horrible at the time

:O Why do teeth hate us so much?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 4:34 PM GMT

:O

I had 4 wisdom teeth out in one go - one was growing sideways - and though it was horrible at the time, everything has settled back to normal.

You might have to put on your big girl pants and get it sorted out before something really nasty happens.

Eek! Scared now... What really nasty thing might happen?! I don't wanna put on my big girl pants, dentists are meanies and they smell

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 4:27 PM GMT

The disdainful commericial brand of the word gypsy? Offensive.
The actual programme, which makes X-Factor look like a sensitive documentary about aspirations? Offensive.

The suffix 'er'? It's not an actual palpable emotive thing. The article was specifically about people complaining about the 'er'.

Because it's a diminuater It neatly reduces people to a foolish label.

And that can make mockery and prejudice easier than a straight out insult.

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 4:38 PM GMT

Eek! Scared now... What really nasty thing might happen?! I don't wanna put on my big girl pants, dentists are meanies and they smell

In my case, they said if I didn't get it sorted out, they would burst through my gums eventually - that was all the motivation that I needed.

Because of the sideways growing one, they had to put me under, cut open my gum, saw the tooth in half and then remove it along with the others. It was all done at UCH if I remember correctly.

Worst bit was waking up a bit early from the anasthetic in the recovery room and having a fetus sized wad of congealed blood in my mouth. Got up to spit it out and realised I was still stoned off my ass from the injection.

After that, it was two weeks of pain and stiches falling out, but then it all got back to normal. Though I still have to brush my teeth with warm water because of the tiny gaps left between my teeth.

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 4:27 PM GMT

If people are upset by what they feel their public image to be then clearly they give a f**k about community cohesion.

You should be able to be offended without having to attend a community centre and collect petitions.

Oh and good luck with the teeth, sure they'll sort them selves out soon enough.