I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,335

The Patterson Debacle - classic BoJo.
See how far you can push against the democratic system.
Back off when it all starts to get a bit eggy.
But we all know what they wanted to do.

I see your Patterson and raise you Claudia Webbe.

Difference is, she did something wrong, was prosecuted and stood down.
Patterson did something wrong, was found to have dome something wrong, was handed out a punishment, moaned about it and got the government to whip Tory MP's to overturn it and change the rules to get their mate off.
They held their noses and voted as they were told to, as they wanted to keep their jobs.
Then BoJo saw that this was going down badly, and that people were a bit cross about this latest assault on democracy and so, backed down.
If you think there is even the slightest parallel between the two cases you are missing the point by a country mile.

It would appear that 'Levelling Up' is simply the use of tax payers money to threaten an MPs constituency in a three line whip. As for any comparison argument the Labour MP was rightly tried and convicted in a court of law . Meanwhile the other had their case debated over the port at the Garrick Club. The Labour MP was rightly convicted while the Tory was allowed to resign with half a million quid in his back pocket and a host of companies he has already boxed off lining up to have him on their board.

It doesn't take much does it lol.

If you don't see half a million in cash as much, then Kudos mate.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th November 2021, 11:51 AM

It doesn't take much does it lol.

That's you response?
Lightweight.

Yorkshire Tea has stopped sponsoring Yorkshire Cricket Club. To people (Soft Southerners) not up to speed on the gravity and shock of this move. Its on a par with the Queen riding around London on a Harley.
In additional news the Tetley Tea Folk have agreed to look into pulling out of the half time dance that they do at Elland Road after Billy Bremner's grandson Obadiah called them Gammons . Looks like the white rose emblem is starting to make sense .

It doesn't take much these days to bring down big names.
They could have kept it in house and disciplined the offender but being Yorkshire men they probably said ' stop thi nethering tha soft clart

They caused more trouble than they had, same as Patterson . Twitter has a 24/7 Lynch mob that wait in cat like readiness for anyone to have done or said anything since 1975.
We will need a reconciliation process like South Africa had where everyone's slates get cleaned and if they say it again they're f**ked.
I like to think that I'm switched on if not woke but on reflection in my teens I sometimes spoke like Hitler as did everyone. I can remember a man in Co Op in the 70's asking if they had green peppers and the lad behind the counter said ' No , we're not queers' True story.

Sir John Major has launched a searing attack on the government over its handling of the Owen Paterson lobbying scandal, condemning its actions as "shameful and wrong".
The former prime minister said it suggested Boris Johnson's administration was "politically corrupt", and that Major would be posed with a dilemma if he had to consider voting for Johnson to remain PM at the next election.

Major told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I think the way the government handled that was shameful, wrong and unworthy of this or indeed any government. It also had the effect of trashing the reputation of parliament."

Sadly it's not John Major's vote that's the problem.
But, with the Brexit smokescreen gone, this sort of thing slowly erodes away the government's reputation.
It'll need the opposition parties pulling together, though.
I shan't hold my breathe.

It shows what a shambles the Labour Party is still in , that they aren't about 20 points ahead in the polls right now

Quote: lofthouse @ 6th November 2021, 12:38 PM

It shows what a shambles the Labour Party is still in , that they aren't about 20 points ahead in the polls right now

Don't even start me on this.
Historically, the only way Populist, Right-Wing movements are stopped is when EVERYONE else pulls together - alliances of people who wouldn't normally touch each other with barge-pole.
We're not very good at that.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th November 2021, 11:57 AM

It'll need the opposition parties pulling together, though.
I shan't hold my breathe.

Even with the bank of England and Transport Industry lending the opposition a hand, Boris still thinks he can fool most of the people all of the time. I think Boris's master plan was to make politics so ugly most people don't want to look too closely.