I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,332

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th October 2021, 10:40 AM

I would be more acceptable to these facts if they didn't keep smudging the figures.
They will not say how many actually die directly of covid. The 'within 28 days' is a nonsense'
The obvious conclusion is, you tested positive with no ill effects but a month later you died of something - we'll mark it down as a covid death?

There was a BMA guidelines document floating about last year that said Covid could be listed as a cause of death 'if suspected and without a positive test'

I've had a few gob-swab tests to visit my son in a care home. Ten minute wait for it to show negative and then we can mix.

Then a while later I get a confirmation text from NHS which says "Your coronavirus lateral flow test result is negative. It's likely you are not infectious. But a negative test is not a guarantee, and there's still a chance you may be infectious."

So totally bloody pointless then?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th October 2021, 10:40 AM

I would be more acceptable to these facts if they didn't keep smudging the figures.
They will not say how many actually die directly of covid. The 'within 28 days' is a nonsense'
The obvious conclusion is, you tested positive with no ill effects but a month later you died of something - we'll mark it down as a covid death?

It's apparently very difficult to know if a person dies directly of covid, because it doesn't directly kill; it aggravates other illnesses, (often by messing up your immunity system,), which would be relatively minor non-fatal. elsewise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/21/how-does-the-covid-19-coronavirus-kill-what-happens-when-you-get-infected/

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01056-7

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200513081810.htm

COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus SARS-Cov-2, has infected over 4 million people in 212 countries, of whom at least 272,000 have died. The ongoing economic and social impact of the pandemic is staggering, but despite a daily flood of news on the disease, few laypeople know that paradoxically, COVID-19 mostly kills through an overreaction of the immune system, whose function is precisely to fight infections.
...~~~...

The authors conclude by stressing the importance of preventing secondary infections: SARS-Cov-2 also invades the intestines, where it causes inflammation and leakiness of the gut lining, allowing the opportunistic entry of other disease-causing microorganisms. They advocate that this should be prevented with nutritional support, for example with probiotics - beneficial bacteria that protect against the establishment of harmful ones - and nutrients and amino acids to improve the immune defenses and function of the intestine.

"Because treatment for now relies on aggressive treatment of symptoms, preventative protection against secondary infections, such as bacteria and fungi, is particularly important to support organ function, especially in the heart, kidneys, and liver, to try and avoid further deterioration of their condition," concludes Liu.

Exactly.
Saying Covid doesn't directly kill people is like saying bullets don't kill - its the loss of blood that does it.

Just like my auntie who had dementia and her pacemaker battery was not replaced.
Cause of death: suspected covid 19

It's like banging your head against a wall sometimes.

I have never doubted that covid kills from secondary causes.
But every case of death within 28 days of a positive test is over exaggerated, especially as most are elderly.

Many of those who are recorded as having died with covid already had terminal illnesses or injuries anyway and maybe caught covid after being admitted to hospital/nursing home/hospice. And others will have died of something subsequent to, and completely unrelated to, their positive test (heart attack, stroke, suicide, even road accidents). So the numbers are meaningless.

People die with flu and of pneumonia every year but no media outlet feels it necessary to broadcast the number of those deaths on a daily basis.

As Professor Sir Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, says, the UK has about 10 x more tests than some other countries and so we will have higher numbers of positive tests and therefore deaths therefrom. In fact, currently, Germany has the highest test positivity rate in Europe. ( https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/government-nhs-oxford-europe-astrazeneca-b962554.html )

(Sorry, was writing this post evidently while Stephen was posting the one above, which says much the same thing in fewer words. But, having made the effort to compose it, I feel disinclined to discard it.)

Apparently John Lewis have pulled the advert of that little brat smashing the house up for being "potentially misleading".

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2021, 8:51 PM

Apparently John Lewis have pulled the advert of that little brat smashing the house up for being "potentially misleading".

Used to rate them - but as far as I am concerned Waitrose went down the plughole last year when they decided not to prioritise slots for my Dad, 90, with advanced dementia and my Mum, 91, heart drugs following a double heart by pass at 86, osteoporosis, cataracts in both eyes, 15 falls.

Not a priority they told me. We only do cancer and lung disease according to the Government's list. Ever since I have prayed each night they go bankrupt and the one thing about scum is that it's age old. Comes around. Goes around - until it falls.

Further, scum is useless when it gets into management and takes over what were once wonderful things. It's time is limited. So is its using of a boy. And I do mean an adult profit making using of that boy,

Have they also got any paedophiles on their non executive climate change, vegan, board?

Ya know, the way they abusively treated my parents and presumably other people generally?

Any flighty ethereal not actually very bright type with lots of money and a belief in their holier-than-thou human conscience - the ones who dance off to Waitrose and say "oh I will l only shop there" - you are implicated and equally a bag of wank.

Get your aggression - the killing side of Cameron and Blair politics not there was any other - softly softly my arse - out of our f**king lives. It's not the brands : it's the c**ts they insist on putting at the top.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2021, 8:51 PM

Happened to see it once, and my reaction was, WTF?

Potentially misleading because they don't cover smashing your house up...... not the other elephant in the room then.

What else in it is misleading?

Very poor attempt Hazzard.

What I'm saying is, a 'flamboyant' boy dressing up in his mum's gear & make-up isn't "misleading" is it?
It might have offended some people, quite possibly the kind of people who shop at John Lewis, but misleading...?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th October 2021, 2:28 PM

So the BBC has spent £ (insert some fanciful figure here) on changing their logo.

I see our regional news is still using the old and outdated :S BBC logo - heads will roll!

I think I'll email the Beeb DG

I think they're doing it gently, so as not to frighten the horses.
I mean, a radical change like that takes some getting used to!!

John Lewis are saying it's misleading with reference to their new home contents insurance stuff, although I believe some pretty unpleasant abuse directed at it and those involved. I'm guessing from the same people who were temporarily bored with sending Angela Raynor and her family death and rape threats.