I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,307

There used to be places called mental hospitals. I worked in one for a while.
The patients were safe and well treat.
They are now on the streets living in their own reality.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th July 2021, 7:51 PM

There used to be places called mental hospitals. I worked in one for a while..

Yes, you 'worked' in one...!

Whistling nnocently

I've seen countless documentaries where people were treated horrifically in those places

Contrary opinion, what a shock.

How many is countless? 100? 1000? Do you mean 1. Yeah, you mean 1.

No those places where notorious for treating people atrociously in decades gone by

I though that was pretty common knowledge

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th July 2021, 8:44 PM

Contrary opinion, what a shock.

How many is countless? 100? 1000? Do you mean 1. Yeah, you mean 1.

I think we all know it was more than one but yes - I agree that they were cared for but now have to care for themselves.

The Tories closed down the mental institutions and replaced them with "Care in the Community."
Some laudable but flawed thinking behind it, but by 2002 even they realised this wasn't working.
Their solution?
Reduce the number of mental health beds by 25%.
Not only do you get what you vote for, you also, it seems, get what you don't pay for.

'Care in the community' = its too expensive so let someone else deal with the problem instead of us

Their lack of empathy for the needy is almost medieval

Quote: Lazzard @ 26th July 2021, 10:19 PM

Their solution?
Reduce the number of mental health beds by 25%.

Right now there are 2 year + waiting lists for life threatening conditions and Boris would rather talk about pay rises. Putting bribes on the sides of buses, how was that not false advertising ?

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th July 2021, 10:26 PM

Their lack of empathy for the needy is almost medieval

They care about duck houses. World Healthcare ranking puts the UK at #18, France #1 and Italy #2. Lack of funding being the main issue.

The one I worked in was known locally as the 'nut hole' probably others were given the same epithet.
The wards were all locked with a guard outside each door. We were putting in a new fire and smoke alarm system as some of the residents were prone to setting fires.
It was a life changing experience actually meeting and talking to people that were properly mad as hatters.
I don't mean that in a cruel way, I liked many of them and as we were there for months, I got to know some of them well.

There was one man they called the Colonel. He always wore a pinstripe suit and read The Times every morning.
He used to bark 'Morning Goodlad' at me and wait for me to reply 'morning colonel'
I thought for long enough he was in charge.
He had been advised by the staff many times to apply for his discharge but refused because he was pregnant and was not going to bring a child in to this world.

There was a plaque on the wall outside commemorating when it had been opened by the Lunacy Commissioners.
And it was actually called the Rampton Criminal Lunatic Asylum.
This was back in the late 70's - 80's and even then it was a shock to me that it was actually called that.

The were Victorian, it's true.
But they were dealing with a problem.
The problem didn't go away when they closed them and changed what they called the patients.
It was just sweeping it under the carpet - and saving a few quid.

Quote: Lazzard @ 26th July 2021, 9:56 AM

Agreed.
But it's the below average people I worry about.
And, mathematically speaking, there are plenty of them.

Indeed, mathematically speaking, 50% of the population are below average intelligence..

Could be more than 50%, depending on the spread.

I see, in line with zero carbon and no petrol or diesel cars or lorries, they are trialling overhead electric lines to power lorries on the motorway. They will be connected via a pantograph like trams once were.
We are going backwards. The connecting apparatus even has the word 'panto' in it.

Like Stephen, as a young man I worked in a home for mentally handicapped people, as they were then called. Nowhere near as heavy as Rampton, the residents had done nothing wrong, but it was a life changing experience, and certainly made me grow up and count my blessings!

Oh yeah, I said it was life changing - and it was. You were often torn between laughing and feeling deep sorrow.

On another note, I worked at Wakefield high security prison in the boiler house.
My van, and me were searched before we went in even though I was not going anywhere near the actual prison.
Same going out with dogs and mirrors under the van.

Two guards were with me at all times while I worked but it was a great job. Trustee prisoners brought me cups of tea, breakfast and lunch.
One day a guard asked me if I needed any help. He explained they had quite a few prisoners that were electricians.
They assured me they weren't dangerous and would jump at the chance to do real work.

They brought two leaving me to supervise them. They did all the work while I just pointed at what needed doing.
They were really nice blokes and we chatted like normal workmates.
But then I committed a no no. (i didn't know) I asked one what he was in for.
As casual as you like he said 'I killed our lass and her mother and then burned the house down with the kids in it.
What do you say to that?
The guards removed him and I never saw him again and they bollocked me saying I should have read the book I was given stating on no account ask a prisoner why he is there.