I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,289

Loving all the front pages of newspapers being all holier than thou
What the bbc did was nothing compared to hacking Milly Dowlers phone, blaming Liverpool fans for Hillsborough etc etc etc etc

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd May 2021, 2:15 PM

What the bbc did was nothing compared to hacking Milly Dowlers phone, blaming Liverpool fans for Hillsborough etc etc etc etc

They lied, cheated, and covered it up for decades. But what really sets them apart is that they aren't a sleazy tabloid, but rather a "respectable" media outlet that's funded to the tune of 3.5 billion pounds per year by a rather heavy-handed license fee. The citizens of the UK deserve better, and heads should roll at the BBC.

If I were a British citizen I'd stop paying my license fee because a drop in revenue is the only thing they'll understand.

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd May 2021, 2:15 PM

What the bbc did was nothing compared to blaming Liverpool fans for Hillsborough etc etc etc etc

Of course. They're all loveable scousers who wouldn't harm a fly.

Quote: DaButt @ 22nd May 2021, 2:37 PM

If I were a British citizen I'd stop paying my license fee because a drop in revenue is the only thing they'll understand.

Easier said than done.

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd May 2021, 12:58 PM

I'm enjoying all the faux outrage from people who would despise Princess Diana if she were alive today. She was basically the ultra-pc high priestess of wokeness.

I'm not really sure how you'd come to that conclusion but we'd never know.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2021, 2:42 PM

Easier said than done.

Why is that? I'm not very knowledgeable about the license fee, but can't you simply not make the payment?

Quote: DaButt @ 22nd May 2021, 2:45 PM

Why is that? I'm not very knowledgeable about the license fee, but can't you simply not make the payment?

It's a legal requirement whether or not you watch BBC. You've got a TV, you pay the BBC license.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2021, 3:01 PM

It's a legal requirement whether or not you watch BBC. You've got a TV, you pay the BBC license.

Wikipedia says that's not always the case, but it still seems rather heavy-handed to me. If you don't watch BBC content then you shouldn't have to pay the BBC.

Wouldn't it be easier to change the model to a subscription-based service? I'm sure there are people all over the world who would pay for it.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2021, 2:42 PM

Of course. They're all loveable scousers who wouldn't harm a fly.

Easier said than done.

I'm not really sure how you'd come to that conclusion but we'd never know.

She was the white Meghan Markle, and if alive today she'd be talking about climate change, trans rights, mental health and bllm.

Chappers would you like to expand on your :
Of course. "They're all loveable scousers who wouldn't harm a fly."
I just want to make sure what end of the stick you're holding? Rather than make a wrong presumption and go off on one.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2021, 3:01 PM

License!?! The American spelling! Shame on you Chappers, old chap.

You haven't got that quite right, which is causing confusion - it's a TV Licence NOT a BBC licence. You may claim you only watch commercial channels, but that doesn't make you exempt - see below.

Quote: DaButt @ 22nd May 2021, 3:10 PM

Wikipedia says that's not always the case, but it still seems rather heavy-handed to me. If you don't watch BBC content then you shouldn't have to pay the BBC.
Wouldn't it be easier to change the model to a subscription-based service? I'm sure there are people all over the world who would pay for it.

The ONLY way you can watch TV without a licence, is if you can prove you ONLY watch recordings off say a DVD player through a TV monitor, i.e. a TV without a tuner in it. There are people who do this, but they are few and far between.

I fear (yes, fear) it may well come to a subscription service, BUT considering the amount of Free to Air TV I can watch in the UK (I refuse outright to stick money into Sky coffers - they can stuff their service up their arse) I find the TV licence good value for money. The amount of radio available Free to Air is enormous too.

I see the new news channel GB News is soon to go live.
It seems to have got some lefties knickers in a twist.

A twitter campaign is trying to cancel it before a single word has been broadcast.
They are asking everyone to cancel their phone contracts with any phone company that advertises with them.

What do they fear?

Don't like, don't watch.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd May 2021, 9:49 AM

I see the new news channel GB News is soon to go live.
It seems to have got some lefties knickers in a twist.

Love it when the pinkos get all twitchy. :D

I just looked on twitter and can't find many knickers in a twist over GB News. I don't think many people really care one way or another, save for a few wingnuts on both the right and left.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd May 2021, 9:49 AM

They are asking everyone to cancel their phone contracts with any phone company that advertises with them.

A perfectly legitimate form of peaceful protest.
Which, currently, is still allowed.
Something similar managed to close down the News of the World.

Quote: chipolata @ 23rd May 2021, 10:59 AM

I just looked on twitter and can't find many knickers in a twist over GB News. I don't think many people really care one way or another, save for a few wingnuts on both the right and left.

Been going on for months, ever since it was announced. That Femi whatsit started a campaign to shun any advertises.
Because you don't believe it doesn't make it so.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st May 2021, 6:01 PM

Were you the foreman Bill?

Nah, I was too busy overseeing Stonehenge move from Wales to Wiltshire then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote: DaButt @ 22nd May 2021, 2:45 PM

It's now a criminal offence, I think, to not pay the BBC licence fee if you are proven to be using the service.