I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,198

Imagine having to listen to crickets all night - must drive you potty

It's just not cricket. Er...

Quote: DaButt @ 14th August 2020, 4:37 PM

I'm probably having one of my irony blockages but I can't work out Lennon's point. Is he pro or against or just summing up the confusing state of being either in a sort of no win way?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th August 2020, 11:24 PM

Well we're still waiting for this so called f**king rain in the East, as it's still muggy and is pissing me off!! Angry

It's a lot cooler and less muggy here in the south east or was yesterday. The humidity was outrageous I agree. I'm still hoping for a good thunder and lightning enhanced deluge though. I love going out in them. Where are my galoshes?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 14th August 2020, 9:09 PM

I once had an American boss who complained about me being late. I said, Do two world wars mean anything to you?
I'm unemployed.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th August 2020, 11:45 AM

It's a lot cooler and less muggy here in the south east or was yesterday. The humidity was outrageous I agree. I'm still hoping for a good thunder and lightning enhanced deluge though. I love going out in them. Where are my galoshes?

I am STILL sitting in a mild sweat as it hasn't cooled off sufficiently and we need that bloody good thunderstorm that everyone else seems to be getting, except us in the East. :(

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 15th August 2020, 11:02 AM

Probably because Trump has spent the last few days promoting false racist conspiracy theories about Kamala Harris.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'll bet it's safe to say that the racism part exists solely in the desperate minds of Trump haters, and not in reality. But hey, whatever it takes to downplay successful diplomacy by the Trump administration. As Sean Lennon said, peace in the Middle East is a great thing - except when it's achieved by a Republican.

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th August 2020, 11:09 AM

Imagine having to listen to crickets all night - must drive you potty

I hear crickets every night, but currently we're in the middle of a cicada outbreak. They're making a racket outside my window as I type this.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th August 2020, 11:45 AM

I'm probably having one of my irony blockages but I can't work out Lennon's point. Is he pro or against or just summing up the confusing state of being either in a sort of no win way?

He's a hardcore liberal, but open-minded enough to call out the hypocrisy of fellow Democrats who push for peace talks and diplomacy in the Middle East, but downplay or criticize Trump's success in doing just that.

Lol.

Republicans bombed the shit out of the Middle East!!

Hundreds of thousands of people maimed and killed

With our help ashamedly

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th August 2020, 12:04 PM

I am STILL sitting in a mild sweat as it hasn't cooled off sufficiently and we need that bloody good thunderstorm that everyone else seems to be getting, except us in the East. :(

How warm is it? Is there any chance that British homes will start to include air conditioners as standard equipment? It seems strange to have it in offices and cars, but not at home where you spend most of your time. My last place in Orange County was very cool most of the time, but it was nice to be able to turn on the AC the 3 or 4 days of the year that it was hot outside.

Yesterday we hit 105F/41C and I still sat outside with the neighbors, lots of cold beer, and pizzas. It's not unbearable, but it's nice to go home to sleep in a 77F/25C house. It's so hot in Texas that my large 2-story home has two central air/heating units: one for each floor.

I've started walking 2 or 3 miles every day, and even though I leave at 8 AM it's still 86F/30C and there's a lot of sweating involved.

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th August 2020, 4:15 PM

Republicans bombed the shit out of the Middle East!!

Did Donald Trump do that?

Quote: DaButt @ 15th August 2020, 4:14 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'll bet it's safe to say that the racism part exists solely in the desperate minds of Trump haters, and not in reality.

Trump's stoking of 'birther' theories about Kamala Harris has been pretty big news in the UK and US this week. As the claims are a. Completely false b. Essentially racist and c. Reprehensible and basically impossible to defend, I can well understand why you might want to pretend you've not heard anything about them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-53774289

Even the Daily Mail readers have turned on Trump, in light of his crooked campaign manager:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8647401/Steven-Bannon-arrested-INDICTED-multi-million-wall-fraud.html#comments

Will "The Don" go down, if he loses the protection of the Presidency? Still, he looks good in Orange...

Quote: Firkin @ 20th August 2020, 5:08 PM

Even the Daily Mail readers have turned on Trump, in light of his crooked campaign manager:

He was at the helm for Trump's 2016 campaign, but the two parted ways about 3 years ago and it wasn't a friendly split.

Quote: DaButt @ 20th August 2020, 6:23 PM

He was at the helm for Trump's 2016 campaign, but the two parted ways about 3 years ago and it wasn't a friendly split.

That's perfectly okay then...

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 21st August 2020, 6:24 AM

That's perfectly okay then...

I was only clarifying someone's post which said that Bannon was Trump's campaign manager. He's in another campaign, so the correct term would have been former campaign manager.

The fraud was over Bannon collecting money for Trump's wall. Also Trump's son wrote a glowing commendation on their funding webite - so there was still a current connection to the Trumps. So many of Trump's advisers, lawyers and campaign managers have been charged or are in jail, do you think, DaButt, they may get Trump once he leaves office ? Birds of a feather and all that.

The inevitability of Trump crashing & burning is beyond question.
It's all about WHEN, and wether he takes the reputation of the US irrevocably with him.
I'm quietly confident history will see him as a particularly noxious blip, but a blip all the same, and then we can all start liking America again.
I'm hoping the same goes for our own Neo-Liberal, Kleptocratic basket-case of a Govt.
Tired of being ashamed of my own country, frankly.

Trump is a complete disgrace. No question.
I'm stiil not convinced he's not going to win again though.