I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,181

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 2nd July 2020, 6:58 AM

So just to be clear, when Trump said:
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
You are saying this was 'fake news'?
Even though it's clearly on film and he's never denied saying it.

As I said, the media and Trump's detractors love to take his words out of context in order to portray him as a racist.

First of all, what he said was true: Mexicans and other illegal illegal immigrants from Central America do bring drugs into the country. They do commit crimes. They do rape people. You'll also notice that he didn't say that every Mexican was a bad person, and even explicitly said so.

Here are the official figures from the state of Texas where I live. This is but one state of fifty, but I see the results of these crimes on a regular basis.

These figures do not attempt to allege that foreign nationals in the country illegally commit more crimes than other groups. It simply identifies thousands of crimes that should not have occurred and thousands of victims that should not have been victimized because the perpetrator should not be here. It is also important to note that these figures represent the minimum number of crimes associated with criminal illegal aliens:

These figures only count arrests in Texas for state offenses. These individuals may have criminal records in other states.

These figures only represent offenses and convictions that are associated with arrest events that occurred between June 1, 2011 and May 31, 2020.

The criminal activity for individuals identified as illegal while in prison is under represented for this time period because they may have been incarcerated during the time frame used in this report.

These figures do not count federal criminal charges.

These figures do not include similar data for foreign nationals who are lawfully in the country and commit state criminal offenses.

Individuals whose lawful presence was determined while in prison may or may not be currently incarcerated.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/crime_records/pages/txCriminalAlienStatistics.htm

Texas is heavily Hispanic and the city where I live is only 25% white. A very large percentage of my friends are of Mexican heritage, and most of them voted for Trump in 2016 and will do so again in November. Why would they support a president who expressed racism against them. Are they racists for voting for him? That's what is said about white Trump voters.

Or when he defended a group dominated by White Supremacists involved in the Charlottesville violence in 2017. "You also had some very fine people on both sides."
You are saying this was 'fake news'?
Even though it's clearly on film and he's never denied saying it.

Again with the selective quotations. Have you ever read the entire transcript? It's here if you'd like to read it: https://www.politifact.com/article/2019/apr/26/context-trumps-very-fine-people-both-sides-remarks/

The relevant portion, including prescient remarks about tearing down statues:

Reporter: "The neo-Nazis started this. They showed up in Charlottesville to protest --"

Trump: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn't put themselves - and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name."

Reporter: "George Washington and Robert E. Lee are not the same."

Trump: "George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a slave owner? So will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going to take down - excuse me, are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas Jefferson? You like him?"

Reporter: "I do love Thomas Jefferson."

Trump: "Okay, good. Are we going to take down the statue? Because he was a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue?

"So you know what, it's fine. You're changing history. You're changing culture. And you had people - and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists - because they should be condemned totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists. Okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly.

"Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people. But you also had troublemakers, and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets, and with the baseball bats. You had a lot of bad people in the other group."

Reporter: "Sir, I just didn't understand what you were saying. You were saying the press has treated white nationalists unfairly? I just don't understand what you were saying."

Trump: "No, no. There were people in that rally - and I looked the night before - if you look, there were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee. I'm sure in that group there were some bad ones. The following day it looked like they had some rough, bad people - neo-Nazis, white nationalists, whatever you want to call them.

"But you had a lot of people in that group that were there to innocently protest, and very legally protest - because, I don't know if you know, they had a permit. The other group didn't have a permit. So I only tell you this: There are two sides to a story. I thought what took place was a horrible moment for our country - a horrible moment. But there are two sides to the country.

Here are a couple decidely non-racist quotes from the remarks that President Trump made that day:

"As I said on - remember, Saturday - we condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence. It has no place in America."

"The driver of the car is a murderer. And what he did was a horrible, horrible, inexcusable thing."

Or when he tweeted to four female ethnic minority members of Congress that they should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came" (even though three of them were born in the US anyway).
More 'fake news' I suppose?

Because to me, a white telling a group of black people to go back where they came from, is almost as clear cut an example of racism you can possibly get.

Again, more selective quotes. The actual quote:

"Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can't leave fast enough."

So he didn't tell anyone to leave America, he told them to put their money where their mouth is and show how they can fix really screwed up places. If they can do that, fixing the United States would be a breeze.

I'll leave these news stories for something to chew on:

Virginia Democrats are proposing legislation which would reduce assault on a police officer to a misdemeanor. It's a felony to abuse animals in the state, so we can see how much they value the police officers who protect them. https://twitter.com/MelLeonor_/status/1276591533924462596

A (white) BLM protestor was arrested for shooting an innocent bystander at a protest in Utah. Why didn't it get the same coverage as the scumbag who ran over people at the Charlottesville protest? https://universe.byu.edu/2020/06/30/provo-police-arrest-two-after-mondays-shooting-at-protest/

Here's a Republican, African-American sheriff in Florida who has promised to deputize every gun owner in the county if BLM brings violent protest to his jurisdiction:

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st July 2020, 5:04 PM

I heard today that Michael Sheen's great-great-grandmother was a lion-tamer.

But, wait a minute - didn't he have eight great-great-grandmothers?

Which one was the lion-tamer?

And what did the others do?

We need to know.

I heard today that Michael Sheen's dad was a professional Jack Nicholson impersonator! :O

Not convinced by these arguments that Donald Trump is a great champion of racial equality but I won't dwell on it further as I don't want to bore everyone else (Everyone else: A bit late for that!,)
A generous interpretation would be that he is not racist himself (though I think he is) but is deliberately trying to appeal to racist elements to bolster his support.
Like most people, I am desperately hoping he loses in November. The last three and a half years have been a disaster.

I wonder why so many of us think he's racist.Why are we all misunderstanding him?
He's being deliberately ambiguous to appeal to as many voters as he can.Like all politicians.
I don't trust any of them.

With Ghislaine Maxwell now in custody, the race will be on between those who want her dead and those who want her evidence.

Among those who won't be keen for her to spill the beans is, of course, the richest woman in the world and an awful lot of other rich people in Britain, the US and elsewhere.

Perhaps she'll have an unfortunate accident like the late lamented Diana?

Perhaps she'll commit suicide like the late but not widely lamented Jeffrey?

Or perhaps she'll simply vanish from her prison cell. Official verdict: alien abduction?

Interesting times lie ahead.

Perhaps she'll set up a brothel in Holloway, with low overheads and a captive market it's an entrepreneur's dream.

No she likes 14 year olds....

Manchester City 4 . . . Liverpool 0

Now we know Liverpool are a bloody good team (and Premiership champions), so how good does that make City?

It works like Conkers
City are now the Premier league champions

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 2nd July 2020, 9:15 PM

A generous interpretation would be that he is not racist himself (though I think he is) but is deliberately trying to appeal to racist elements to bolster his support.

Condemning white supremacists and introducing prison reform acts to undo decades-old Democrat-sponsored crime bills which have put huge numbers of black Americans behind bars is a rather strange way to win support from racists.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 2nd July 2020, 9:15 PM

The last three and a half years have been a disaster.

African-American unemployment was at an all-time low and the economy was screaming along until COVID arrived. How much press did the recent revelation that the last quarter featured the hottest stock market gains since 1987 receive? I guess the Democrats and their lackeys in the media don't have much else to do other than fling accusations of racism and Russian collusion around.

Quote: john tregorran @ 2nd July 2020, 9:31 PM

I wonder why so many of us think he's racist.Why are we all misunderstanding him?

An incessant, media-led campaign to destroy his presidency, for the most part. I'll ease up on the media a bit if they show 1/10 as much interest in Joe Biden's alleged racism and misogyny as they do Donald Trump's. I won't hold my breath.

Quote: john tregorran @ 2nd July 2020, 9:31 PM

I don't trust any of them.

I'm with you there.

Trump "I have worn a mask and it made me feel like the Lone Ranger"

Really Don? The Lone Ranger wore an eye mask - nothing over his mouth.

Yet again confirming you are a dick.

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd July 2020, 11:42 PM

Condemning white supremacists and introducing prison reform acts to undo decades-old Democrat-sponsored crime bills which have put huge numbers of black Americans behind bars is a rather strange way to win support from racists.

And yet even in the bits you quote he clearly went out of he went out of his way to avoid condemning any specific Far Right groups, even though a number were clearly involved. And yes, unsurprisingly, these same groups and many others support him.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-kkk/ku-klux-klan-newspaper-declares-support-for-trump-idUSKBN12X2IG

https://nltimes.nl/2020/06/01/dutch-far-right-politician-supports-trumps-action-left-wing-extremism

African-American unemployment was at an all-time low and the economy was screaming along until COVID arrived. How much press did the recent revelation that the last quarter featured the hottest stock market gains since 1987 receive? .

The economy was already booming when he took office.
And, COVID-19, yes, since you brought this up, are you pleased with the marvelous job he's doing on coping with that?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/12/opinions/coronavirus-us-death-toll-trump-sachs-opinion/index.html

I take it you didn't follow his advice on injecting yourself with disinfectant? You are wrong about Trump, but I'm genuinely very glad you didn't do this.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/do-not-heed-trumps-hint-about-injecting-disinfectant-says-foster-39155437.html

An incessant, media-led campaign to destroy his presidency, for the most part. I'll ease up on the media a bit if they show 1/10 as much interest in Joe Biden's alleged racism and misogyny as they do Donald Trump's. I won't hold my breath.

Absolute rubbish. The ultra-conservative Fox Network is by far the most powerful force on US TV. Why do so many Americans believe their media is liberal? Answer: because Trump and the conservative media tell them the are.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/9/8/16263710/fox-news-presidential-vote-study

I'm with you there.

You shouldn't be (even though, this clearly suggests you don't trust Trump either....okay),
There are plenty of great politicians out there.. Trump's tactics are always based around trashing key institutions e.g. the judiciary, media and political class, so that people start to believe they are as rubbish as he is. Don't fall for it! They are not.

A real leader would take responsibility for his actions rather than always childishly attempting to blame others for his own failings.

The media frenzy surrounding Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell shows no sign of abating.

But what's the story?

A fabulously wealthy, good-looking man has sexual activity with a large number of girls and women, many of whom were allegedly under the age of consent but none of whom are alleged to have been prepubescent?

And he has associates (male, female or both) who assist in the procurement of such partners?

Do any of us really believe that isn't the story of almost every heterosexual male pop star and film star in the world? And do we doubt it isn't also the story of countless non-famous but nevertheless exceedingly wealthy young men?

Opinions will vary as to how wrong that sort of activity is but I can't believe there are many people who think it's even remotely unusual.

In other news, there is increasing concern about monkeys being used as slave labour.

In Thailand, it is apparently not unusual for monkeys to be trained to run up trees and bring down coconuts.

Ocado, Boots and the Co-op have stopped selling products obtained by using monkey labour.

In years to come, when monkeys have taken over the world (a la Planet of the Apes), our docks and scrapyards will be overflowing with statues of humans subsequently discovered to have enjoyed the odd Bounty bar.

Why, when I keep trying to keep this forum focused on denigrating Trump, do people keep insist on pushing the focus back to the narrow subject of 'everything else'?
Please!

Quote: DaButt @ 1st July 2020, 8:11 PM

Do you think China and Russia and the rest of the communists have any interest in those viewpoints being pushed to the masses?

Russia's not been communist for nearly 30 years, you know?