I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,162

Quote: Rood Eye @ 5th May 2020, 10:18 AM

Either that or they should operate under the same conditions as other broadcasters - and become a commercial TV station. Crap programs mean no viewers - which means no advertisers which means they go out of business.

Yes, it's a cruel world but I think it might be about time that the BBC started to live in it.

That model is dead or dying.
"Commercial" TV relies on appointment to view TV ie things that can't be recorded, binge watched etc - in other words talents shows, 'bake-offs' & Love Island style programs.
All the shit, essentially.
Why else would you sit through ads?
And Netflix and Amazon aren't exactly awash with Talent Shows, are they?
Subscription will be the way forward.
Whether the BBC can survive in that world is in question - but it's future certainly isn't in going "commercial".

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th May 2020, 9:49 AM

.....it's future certainly isn't in going "commercial".

I hope you're right. The BBC is one of Britain's biggest brand ambassadors. It has so many great USPs. It's world news service benefits from a perception of impartiality being the oldest public broadcaster in the world. It also boasts the largest network of journalist in the world. So for it's own conservative government to attack these excellent USPs , is shameful. It's almost as if Trump has asked them to do it. What other positive brands are promoting Britain currently, Brexiter Dyson has left the UK. When our car industry was left to die, the French government propped theirs up , so it could suck up the void we left and it worked. Our government doesn't appear to understand business, they're more focused on spin.

I love the Beeb.

Quote: playfull @ 6th May 2020, 11:33 AM

I love the Beeb.

Same here.
I think it should concentrate on news and quality - even, dare I say it, highbrow - content.
That's what it's famous for outside the UK - and that's where it's market needs to be in a streaming future.
Stop competing with the lowest denominator stuff that belongs on the commercial channels.
Broadsheet, not tabloid, is the way forward.
And do it now, whilst the brand is still strong.

Yep I love the beeb too but they need to quit copying itv with all the shitty talent shows and reality crap

Agreed & agreed

Actually I think they should expand by introducing a sex channel, they've got the name for it. They need more "inside the box thinking".

Quote: Firkin @ 6th May 2020, 1:55 PM

Actually I think they should expand by introducing a sex channel".

I think they were expanding before they had the channel?

Quote: Firkin @ 6th May 2020, 1:55 PM

"inside the box thinking".

As so ably demonstrated by Jaqui Oatley commentating on Match of the Day?

Oh, and talking about boxes, I don't know whether presenter Ian Robertson was thinking inside, outside or just generally in the vicinity of the box when he came out with:

"And now over to Barnet for another flash from Jacqui Oatley" Laughing out loud

Apparently, in the next series of "American Horror Story", that awful woman from "Misery" is going to have mad passionate sex with that little boy from "Home Alone"!

It shouldn't be allowed!

Oh, wait a minute - he's 39 now.

But wait another minute - she's 71 now!

It still shouldn't be allowed! Laughing out loud

I meditate after sex. Thinking outside the box.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th May 2020, 11:53 AM

Same here.
I think it should concentrate on news and quality - even, dare I say it, highbrow - content.
That's what it's famous for outside the UK - and that's where it's market needs to be in a streaming future.
Stop competing with the lowest denominator stuff that belongs on the commercial channels.
Broadsheet, not tabloid, is the way forward.
And do it now, whilst the brand is still strong.

This could be me talking :)
The BBC is involved in not just broadcasting but music and the arts.
The licence fee does help prevent some direct influence from government or advertisers.
If anyone asks here I always say that the BBC and the NHS are the only things that are better in the UK.
And both now under threat as usual.

The other thing people forget about Netflix and other streaming services is that you need internet access to watch it. A lot of poorer and older people haven't got that access. At least with the Beeb older and poorer people do have access to most of what it offers.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th May 2020, 6:41 AM

The other thing people forget about Netflix and other streaming services is that you need internet access to watch it. A lot of poorer and older people haven't got that access. At least with the Beeb older and poorer people do have access to most of what it offers.

Agreed - but within the next five years Internet access will be all but universal - and it's getting cheaper by the day.

Not just internet access

You need unlimited data internet too

Which is more expensive

Before I had unlimited- watching one movie would use up your entire months limit!