I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,136

Quote: chipolata @ 7th December 2019, 10:16 AM

What a hateful bullying turd Elon Musk is. Proof that money means you can get away with anything.

I agree and am amazed at the ruling. I remember as the crisis unfolded and how the world media was centred on the progress. I've read through the wiki entry a few times to understand what happened in detail and I am not ashamed to admit I can still choke up and get close to tears just thinking about the teamwork involved. It doesn't matter that I didn't know anyone involved it mattered because these were human beings in a crisis and it needed other human beings to work out a way to rescue them.

It was a tense time and regardless of good intentions his submarine idea was dismissed and he seemed to take it badly. That's when the public backlash was that he was using the incident as a marketing tool and I'm pretty sure that is when he made the comments. I'm amazed and also rather shocked and stunned that wasn't enough. Probably astounded too.

It seems the norm to use disparaging nicknames in the USA these days.

Yesterday, I read in the news that Matt Hancock's adviser had been punched in the face by a Labour activist.

Later, I saw video footage that clearly showed the activist with his arm outstretched pointing at something and Matt Hancock's adviser - completely accidentally - walking into the back of his hand.

The activist didn't even know Matt Hancock's adviser was anywhere near him, and the adviser (for some reason) didn't see the man's arm right in front of his face.

Perhaps we can't believe everything we read in the newspapers? :O

Boris is apparently going to decriminalise the non-payment of the BBC licence fee.

In fact, he's even looking at scrapping the licence fee altogether!

Can you imagine the BBC having to enter the real world of commerce - a world in which the public can choose whether or not to buy your products and services?

What larks! Laughing out loud

Barack Obama is in the news today saying that women are indisputably better than men at running the world and that if every country had a woman leader there would be significant improvements all round.

Now, call me a cynic or a clairvoyant or whatever you will but I have a very clear picture in my head of Michelle running for president very soon.

[quote name="Rood Eye" post="1215390" date="16th December 2019, 7:51 PM"]Barack Obama is in the news today saying that women are indisputably better than men at running the world and that if every country had a woman leader there would be significant improvements all round.

Now, call me a cynic or a clairvoyant or whatever you will but I have a very clear picture in my head of Michelle running for president very soon.[/quote)
Not impossible, but I'd be surprised. Have you read her autobiography? She was fairly definitely against it, though that's not to say she may have changed her mind,

And- better at running a country? I'd happily shit on Thatcher's grave if there was one.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th December 2019, 7:51 PM

Barack Obama is in the news today saying that women are indisputably better than men at running the world and that if every country had a woman leader there would be significant improvements all round.

Now, call me a cynic or a clairvoyant or whatever you will but I have a very clear picture in my head of Michelle running for president very soon.

She'll never run. She thinks politics is too toxic and she's not wrong.

It's very wrong to steal, somebody else's stuff, but It's also really hard to feel sorry for somebody who loses millions and millions of welkery when there are folk dying on the streets.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th November 2019, 8:17 PM

There speaks a man who's never going to get his prostate checked. Laughing out loud

It like it the colour it is.

Something is afoot in the USA.

Something is also afoot in the rest of the world.

The problem is that what's afoot in the USA is not afoot in the rest of the world.

Confused? I don't blame you.

We're talking about the unit of length known as a "foot" - and the American version (known as the survey foot) is bigger than everybody else's version.

There's an old comedy stereotype: the American who believes everything in the USA is bigger than everything else in the rest of the world but if it were that very man who invented the American survey foot, he has in fact done the USA something of a disservice.

Why? Because, when measured in survey feet, the USA is actually smaller than when measured in international feet.

The difference between the two types of foot is too small to be noticed by the naked eye but, when long distances are involved, differences in measurement become significant - and serious problems can arise when the two units are confused.

The most extreme example is probably that the rest of the world believes the USA to be 28.3 inches wider than most Americans do!

I say most Americans because surveyors in 10 states are actually using the international foot while their colleagues in the other 40 are using the survey foot.

There's no need to worry, however, because America as a whole is going to do the decent thing and adopt the international foot in 2022.

Fascinating stuff, eh?

No?

I'll get my coat. :(

I'm sure Trump will take advantage of this and claim the USA has got bigger since he's been in charge.

Apparently, the new film "Cats" is the worst film in the history of the universe.

Can it really be that bad?

Well, if the reviews are to be believed, yes - it's absolutely bloody awful.

I can hardly wait to see it!

The reviews I've seen are either they love it or hate it but I suspect it's aimed at a younger audience. I wont be watching it because I can't stand people dressed as cats. Reminds me of Cat People.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 19th December 2019, 7:45 PM

The reviews I've seen are either they love it or hate it but I suspect it's aimed at a younger audience. I wont be watching it because I can't stand people dressed as cats. Reminds me of Cat People.

Reminds me of George Galloway (and I didn't even see the programme) SickLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: Briosaid @ 19th December 2019, 8:55 PM

Reminds me of George Galloway (and I didn't even see the programme) SickLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

I'd forgotten about that chilling moment in this nations history.