I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,081

Quote: billwill @ 29th August 2019, 10:07 AM

How about:
Do away with elections and all party politics, use random number selection to choose MPs from the population. Each has to serve 4 (or 5 years) as an MP. overlapped i.e. half the MPs change every 2 and a half years.

Choose a PM by random selection from the MPs
~~~~
Oh, and anyone who actually WANTS to be an MP is automatically disqualified.

Sounds good to me - ANYTHING has to be better than what we have now.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th August 2019, 10:46 AM

ANYTHING has to be better than what we have now.

Even Rood Eye and his permanently laughing emoticon ruling over us all? ;)

I think this may be the point were we get to see what people really think by their actions. I think there will be protests against and protest in support of this.
As always both sides will get hijacked by a few professionals at the front but in the main I will be interested to see the level of support each side garners?
If the Remain march is massive and I mean massive then the game changes.However if Leave equals it then we should look to the outcome of the referendum and leave. d I hate saying that but if the people come out for it in numbers then there is no justification in denying them what they voted. Especially as now they know exactly what it is they're getting and they still want it.

I'd like it if Remainers and Leavers could go our own separate ways and set up our own countries. We'd both be far happier without the other lot weighing us down.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th August 2019, 11:54 AM

Even Rood Eye and his permanently laughing emoticon ruling over us all? ;)

There are limits.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th August 2019, 2:42 PM

I'd like it if Remainers and Leavers could go our own separate ways and set up our own countries. We'd both be far happier without the other lot weighing us down.

The way things are going, you might be able to join us in the Remainers Paradise that is Scotland. Scotland
Laughing out loud

It would be easier if we just had another referendum where Leave & Remain all voted and the losers all had to move to the Isle of Man. The place would be packed so you would see people living on the beach like penguins. but at least they'd be among like minded Penguins instead of the Nasty Ones :P

Quote: Briosaid @ 29th August 2019, 3:32 PM

The way things are going, you might be able to join us in the Remainers Paradise that is Scotland. Scotland
Laughing out loud

Funny you should say that Briosaid, I have family in Scotland and we were discussing the business opportunities. If you were laying odds how likely do you think Scottish independence will be after Brexit ? Because the EU would welcome you back with open arms, and Scotland would be a convenient option to freighting goods by land into the EU .

To be fair I have never liked the Isle of Man or its people. In fact at the height of the Falklands war I wrote to the MOD suggesting that the navy give the Isle of Man a 'Crack' on the way over to the Falklands. To my mind there was no sense in leaving the back door open to 5th Columnists who were sat there stroking tailless cats waiting for the chance to invade Morecombe in the middle of the night and kill every poor c**t in their beds.

Quote: Firkin @ 29th August 2019, 4:16 PM

Funny you should say that Briosaid, I have family in Scotland and we were discussing the business opportunities. If you were laying odds how likely do you think Scottish independence will be after Brexit ? Because the EU would welcome you back with open arms, and Scotland would be a convenient option to freighting goods by land into the EU .

In all truth I don't know how likely it is. I do know people who voted No last time and who say they'll vote Yes next time because of Brexit, but It's a big step and the polls constantly vary. What I can say is that although Yes voters were disappointed last time, there wax nothing like the the division we're seeing over Brexit. I remember an unpleasant incident in George Square the night after the vote, but funnily enough it was No supporters, just a bunch of neds that you get everywhere. People just accepted the result and got on with life and each other, though obviously SNP have continued to push for independence - that's what They're about.

Possibly some of the Pro-EU thing has trickled down the centuries because of the ties between France and Scotland on account of the Auld Alliance.

Anyway, you'd be most welcome.

Quote: Lazzard @ 29th August 2019, 10:38 AM

Yes.
And on March 29th it was defeated 344 to 286.
34 Tories held out (ERG) as did the DUP.
if they hadn't, the Bill would have gone through 330 to 300.
And, at the risk of repeating myself, us "Remoaners" could have done nothing about it.
Sorry to drag facts in, but there you go.
Full details here. https://ig.ft.com/brexit-exit-deal-vote/

Yes, they may have changed their minds subsequently when it suited them but the fact remains that 432 MPs voted against the withdrawal agreement when they had the chance to accept it. Which is what I said.

And, it is widely accepted that the majority of MPs are against no-deal ( https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/15/the-guardian-view-on-mps-and-no-deal-brexit-mobilise-the-majority ) and, indeed, MPs rejected no-deal by a majority of 43 back in March. Therefore if that same majority had voted to accept the one deal that was on offer when they had a chance to do so, we wouldn't be in this position now. Which is what I said. And that's a fact.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 29th August 2019, 4:18 PM

To be fair I have never liked the Isle of Man or its people. In fact at the height of the Falklands war I wrote to the MOD suggesting that the navy give the Isle of Man a 'Crack' on the way over to the Falklands. To my mind there was no sense in leaving the back door open to 5th Columnists who were sat there stroking tailless cats waiting for the chance to invade Morecombe in the middle of the night and kill every poor c**t in their beds.

:D Good stuff

Quote: chipolata @ 29th August 2019, 2:42 PM

Good idea. Let the Remainers have Scotland.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th August 2019, 6:15 PM

Yes, they may have changed their minds subsequently when it suited them but the fact remains that 432 MPs voted against the withdrawal agreement when they had the chance to accept it. Which is what I said.

And, it is widely accepted that the majority of MPs are against no-deal ( https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/15/the-guardian-view-on-mps-and-no-deal-brexit-mobilise-the-majority ) and, indeed, MPs rejected no-deal by a majority of 43 back in March. Therefore if that same majority had voted to accept the one deal that was on offer when they had a chance to do so, we wouldn't be in this position now. Which is what I said. And that's a fact.

Aren't the MPs there to carry out the wishes of their constituents? Not think for themselves.

Great tweet today from Hugh Grant about Boris Johnson: "F**k off you over promoted rubber bath toy.". Well said, Hugh.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th August 2019, 9:51 PM

Great tweet today from Hugh Grant about Boris Johnson: "F**k off you over promoted rubber bath toy.". Well said, Hugh.

I'm sure he knows all about rubber bath toys. Remember Divine Brown?