I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,057

Tiger Woods must have been investing. He says, 'I've had a billion riding on me.'

How do you say 'Anti-Christ' in Roman? 'Virginia Raggi'.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 14th July 2019, 11:58 AM

How do you say 'Anti-Christ' in Roman?

Antimessiah. But since "Christ" (or "Christos") is Greek Latin people would probably understand the term "Anti-Christ".

Not funny, but neither were you. :P

This one always creases me up. Berlusconi, 20 years, f**k all except getting Bunga Bunga into the dictionary: He's doing what you'd do... Renzi, 5 years, f**k all: Give him a chance... Marini, 10 years, f**k all: He's not Superman... Raggi, one year, something: You useless cow, get yer finger out you lazy bitch, this is why women should never have responsibility.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 14th July 2019, 7:30 PM

This one always creases me up. Berlusconi, 20 years, f**k all except getting Bunga Bunga into the dictionary: He's doing what you'd do... Renzi, 5 years, f**k all: Give him a chance... Marini, 10 years, f**k all: He's not Superman... Raggi, one year, something: You useless cow, get yer finger out you lazy bitch, this is why women should never have responsibility.

You realise we barely give a f**k about British politics, let alone Italian.

So Camilla sends a cake to some f**kwit cricketers. If she'd baked it herself, it might have been newsworthy. Is this what we pay these parasites for?
Vive la republique!

Quote: chipolata @ 14th July 2019, 8:37 PM

You realise we barely give a f**k about British politics, let alone Italian.

Amen to that.

I see that David Lammy has shown a letter that he received to the public.
A very racist letter which he says is now in the hands of the police.

He forgot about a similar letter he said he received about 2 years ago in a similar vein.
The writing and words were the same - so it was the same author.

Handwriting experts have indicated by studying Lammy's own writing that he himself is the author.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 15th July 2019, 8:57 AM

Handwriting experts have indicated by studying Lammy's own writing that he himself is the author.

That's interesting, but I can't find the news story, do you have a link Stephen ?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 15th July 2019, 8:57 AM

I see that David Lammy has shown a letter that he received to the public.
A very racist letter which he says is now in the hands of the police.

He forgot about a similar letter he said he received about 2 years ago in a similar vein.
The writing and words were the same - so it was the same author.

Quote: Firkin @ 15th July 2019, 9:05 AM

That's interesting, but I can't find the news story, do you have a link Stephen ?

I think this story is, as we speak, unfolding on Twitter.

On Twitter, David Lammy's account of his receiving racist communications is being questioned by a Twitter member who (coincidentally?) shares his name with an English barrister.

Personally, I find it very difficult to believe David Lammy is stupid enough to jeopardise his career and reputation by sending racist communications to himself and subsequently claiming both to the police and to the British public that they came from others.

I have now located a website upon which comparisons are made between David Lammy's handwriting and the handwriting in two racist letters allegedly sent to David Lammy.

The website is, it has to be said, rather right-wing and the similarity between Mr Lammy's handwriting and that contained in the two racist letters is, as far as I can see, insignificant.

Clearly, there must be some similarity between the handwriting of any two people writing in the same language: if they were no similarity at all, at least one writer's writing would be completely unintelligible to readers of that language.

I won't supply a link to the website because, if I did, it might be held that in doing so I am "repeating the libel".

However, Google will no doubt lead you there.

I see Alan Turing is to be the face of the new £50 note.

Whenever I think of Alan Turing, I always think of him along with Oscar Wilde as two geniuses who were effectively put to death by the English legal system simply for being gay.

Turing was pardoned in 2014 but even so, unless I'm being more than usually cynical, I can't help being aware that the £50 note is widely regarded as an item of currency used by almost nobody outside the criminal fraternity.

Coincidence? Perhaps.

Or is some wag at a high level in English society having a bit of a larf?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th July 2019, 3:10 PM

I can't help being aware that the £50 note is widely regarded as an item of currency used by almost nobody outside the criminal fraternity.

Also used extensively by bookmakers and punters. And don't say it...

I was paid for a job in Scottish 50 pound notes.
Absolutely no one was going to touch those. I wouldn't even know if they were fake.
I took them to my bank that I have been with for 40 years and asked if they would change them into other denominations.
Even they wouldn't change them.
I had to sign a slip with the serial numbers on them and they said they would be deposited into my account shortly.
Meaning, I presume, when someone who knows about forged notes has inspected them.

Hats off to, Trump. He now terrifies everybody so much with his Twitter bullying that the entire Republican Party and, apparently our future Prime Minister, are all too chicken to call him out for being a racist.