I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,020

One nutter shooting and killing people in New Zealand and they decide to change their gun laws.

The U. S. of A. have loads of them and carry on as though nothing was wrong.

Well let's look at the chlorinated chicken debate, Chappers. If the USA decided to remove chlorinated chicken it would cost thousands to put it right and bankrupt the industry. It's better for their economy that they don't. Any economy might not work perfectly but in order to change it you have to spend money. Setting up the NHS almost bankrupted us as a nation.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th March 2019, 10:08 PM

One nutter shooting and killing people in New Zealand and they decide to change their gun laws.

The U. S. of A. have loads of them and carry on as though nothing was wrong.

We carry on because we know that removing our constitutional right to bear arms will not affect the crazed gunmen nor terrorists, but will only disarm the law-abiding American people.

New Zealand is playing right into the Christchurch's shooter's plans. From his manifesto:

Won't your attack result in calls for the removal of gun rights in the New Zealand?

The gun owners of New Zealand are a beaten, miserable bunch of baby boomers, who have long since given up the fight. When was the last time they won increased rights? Their loss was inevitable. I just accelerated things a bit.

He hopes to start a civil war in the United States by pushing politicians to take away Americans' guns:

I chose firearms for the affect it would have on social discourse, the extra media coverage they would provide and the affect it could have on the politics of United states and thereby the political situation of the world. The US is torn into many factions by its second amendment, along state, social, cultural and, most importantly, racial lines. With enough pressure the left wing within the United states will seek to abolish the second amendment, and the right wing within the US will see this as an attack on their very freedom and liberty. This attempted abolishment of rights by the left will result in a dramatic polarization of the people in the United States and eventually a fracturing of the US along cultural and racial lines.

I was away a long time.

I am guessing that zooo is now a caring mother of seven or eight children.

While I am against gun ownership, I do believe on balance that people like her should have the right to shoot a chlorinated chicken.

Take your hands off my gun you filthy ape!

And by this same date next year, over 30000 Americans will feel a small pointed projectile enter their body, travelling at about 1700 mph, ripping through their organs and vessels destroying them and causing massive blood loss leading to their one life on this earth ending prematurely.
Yay for the second amendment.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th March 2019, 3:51 PM

And by this same date next year, over 30,000 Americans will feel a small pointed projectile enter their body, travelling at about 1700 mph, ripping through their organs and vessels destroying them and causing massive blood loss leading to their one life on this earth ending prematurely.
Yay for the second amendment.

As true as that may be, it's worth noting that, based upon records from previous years, 20,000 of those deaths will be suicides.

If every year, America loses 10,000 citizens to gun crime, one has to balance that figure against all the "good" that comes from gun ownership in the USA. Personally, I think a family's ability to feel relatively safe while sleeping in their beds at night is a very substantial benefit of gun ownership and I believe it's a benefit that a vast number of Americans treasure.

I can see both sides of the argument and I don't think there is a clear-cut answer.

Let's talk music rather than illness. Let's talk sport rather than cancer. Let's talk wildlife rather than death. Let's talk about teddy bears rather than knife crime. I recognise that this goes against the modern neoliberal principles of the media and society at large which rams everything down our throats and in doing so will kill off everyone now aged 20 at 50 but hey.

I'm anxiety central. I've got the world's most terrible legal life habits because of it and have done for 36 years. Each time the crunch comes I expect to go under.

Another chest x ray result today. Normal. Literally, I burst in to tears. I couldn't comprehend it. I wasn't sure if I wanted it. I have very tough times to come. But I didn't want the opposite. A lot of the blokes who were in the trenches with me when younger and very evidently stronger have gone or are disabled. I feel guilty although my situation was all their fault.

I'm kind of sick and tired of being murdered by the fears of the money makers who turn everything into "remember your time is limited". Because it is a sick society and I've just bought a ticket to Millwall against Brentford to prove the "I'm not falling for this shite" point. And if I get through unscathed, I might make it a regular habit.

There is nothing bloody worse than what these cultural and life thieves are doing to us all and the only response is to rage against their inanity with positive foolhardy action. And, not that this is a diatribe or I am something of a one off, I really don't get audiences these days other than the yobs at the New Den who don't have any thoughts to analyse other than I don't have tattoos on my penis and don't have a strong beyond question South London walk.

LBC. Figures up. And in the next 13 hours, we will have 13 hours of talk about Brexit and 87 times 13 commercials on "are you at risk from illness x and can we charge you for a funeral". I mean what the bloody hell on earth is this so-called entertainment and its followers about? It ain't radio. It's radio Chinese water torture, not that there is anyone of a heterosexual Chinese persuasion outside Durham now. This is all you get in this mad, mad, sinister pit.. Cruk and Sedgefield oriental.

Harlech Tower in Acton, which was used to portray Nelson Mandela House in Only Fools and Horses is to be demolished and there's a petition to have a statue of Del Boy put there to commemorate the building. It's a good few miles from Peckham, where the Trotters lived, but was their home in the series. I think it would be very fitting for a statue of Del Boy to be put there.

This petition appears to be proceeding nicely...

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1gqxvnQYyQkxB

When they get over 17 MIllion we'll have another look.

Well, we have over 16 million already - so we don't need that many more.

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st March 2019, 3:05 PM

Well, we have over 16 million already - so we don't need that many more.

? I think you need to go to spec savers, the figure I saw about a minute ago was : 1,069,670 signatures

It's pretty obvious that those 1,069,670 signatures are a subset of the 16,141,241 who voted to remain in the referendum, so only when the number exceeds 16,141,241 does it give any real indication that the vote has changed.

The rate of signing is impressive, but these petitions are probably just a scheme for all trouble makers to identify themselves to the power that be.

A previous petition that had a remarkable rate of signing also, basically came to nothing, it was bundled up with vaguely similar or totally opposite requests and debated on the 12th Feb, in a side chamber while the main chamber was holding an important debate, so attendance at the petition debate was very low.

Of the 11 identified MPs who attended the discussion on the various Petitions relating to No-Deal exit, No Brexit etc when it came to the vote on ruling out No-Deal Brexit,

4 voted to rule out No-Deal
6 voted to retain the No-Deal option
1 abstained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you know, overall, No-Deal was ruled out (as far as Parliament is concerned) so it seems to me that those MPs who wanted to rule out No-Deal couldn't be bothered to attend a debate which discussed 368,972 votes to exit the EU on No-Deal (WTO rules) basis.

In other words, it seems these petitions are a useless mechanism.

Bill , I quoted that figure as the figure 1 million (1 ΒΌ now) or so signees was being compared to the 17 million Brexiteers - a wholly false comparison.
Excuse sarky tone.
Just slightly tired of people failing to acknowledge that the majority of the country didn't ask for this.
Plus I have kids.