I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,980

My OH is no IT expert just nosy.By befriending people on Facebook she's learnt a lot she wasn't supposed to.
If she can do it,anyone can.(except me)

Well It's amazing how many numpties leave their stuff open to the world but most people I know make sure their details are kept minimal and private.

I've never bought anything on facebook but it says things like "Do you know" such and such?

How do they know my girlfriend's daughter when my girlfriend isn't on facebook and I don't know anyone on there who knows her and I've only contacted her on my mobile. A bit spooky the way they know these things.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2018, 5:49 PM

How do they know my girlfriend's daughter when my girlfriend isn't on facebook and I don't know anyone on there who knows her

FOAF algorithms and sneaky use of any imported contacts.

I see Jadzia Dax (the sexy one in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) has married son of Spock.
May they live long and prosper.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2018, 5:49 PM

I've never bought anything on facebook

Very few people have. Hence why they have to spend so much time creating algorithms for customers who do. Whether it can keep going...

They don't actually know it's your girlfriend's daughter, by the way.

Super gonorrhoea.?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43571120

Is that something to be proud of?

Why were you reading that?
Stumbled upon it eh.....

You can't get any worse than razer blades.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th March 2018, 8:49 PM

Why were you reading that?
Stumbled upon it eh.....

Wondering about symptoms!

I think I guessed this.

"An unusually transparent galaxy about the size of the Milky Way is prompting new questions for astrophysicists.

The object, with the catchy moniker of NGC1052-DF2, appears to contain no dark matter.

If this turns out to be true, it may be the first galaxy of its kind - made up only of ordinary matter. Currently, dark matter is thought to be essential to the fabric of the Universe as we understand it."

It never ceases to amaze me how complicated space and the history of the universe is. No matter how much I try to learn about it I still don't understand yet it never puts me off. One day I'll get there.

I ofen looked up at the sky an asked meself the question - what is the stars? what is the stars?
Seán O'Casey

I saw a program the other day about this.
One of the points was that the light from some stars that you can see, took 50 billion years to reach Earth (or your retina)
And you are looking at a star as it was 50 billion years ago.
Then they tried to explain dark matter - adding they have no clue really what it is.

So in reverse, if our sun's light (or star) is reaching that galaxy from 50 billion years ago - and there is intelligent life there scanning the skies for signs of other life out there - they are just going to see a fiery red ball as Earth and say 'nope, there's nowt there'
And here we are waving like mad and they'll only see it in 50 Billion years and by then the sun will have become a supernova and Earth will have been absorbed by it.
So they will arrive and go 'oh bollocks, we are too late'

I don't expect that you saw a 50 billion years figure as I think I've seen that the universe is thought to be only 15 to 16 billion years old.

And Sol and earth are 3rd (?) generation youngstars of only 5 to 6 billion years old.

Quote: billwill @ 29th March 2018, 11:16 AM

I don't expect that you saw a 50 billion years figure as I think I've seen that the universe is thought to be only 15 to 16 billion years old.

13.799 billion (± 21 million) is the latest figure, I believe.