I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,608

Quote: keewik @ 5th June 2014, 11:45 PM BST

Americans are cheeky bastards who think they've the right to tell other countries how to run their business.

That's the EU's job?

Here's a moral and ethical dilemma for you keewik - Guns or Monarchy? At the moment, the Queen is head of the armed forces and our only defence against a corrupt parliament.

In America and other countries, enough of the citizenry is sufficiently armed to stage a revolution, but here in the UK, if a police state takes over and uses the military to carry out it's deeds, we're pretty much screwed.

How will the Scots stop Alex Salmond from imposing his will?

I will be delighted to see Wee Eck impose his will. I have a great respect for him. As for the Queen! My communist father used to describe the royal family as parasites. I am his daughter.

Quote: keewik @ 5th June 2014, 11:55 PM BST

I will be delighted to see Wee Eck impose his will. I have a great respect for him. As for the Queen! My communist father used to describe the royal family as parasites. I am his daughter.

So a police state for keewik! Good to know where you stand. ;)

Quote: keewik @ 5th June 2014, 10:28 PM BST

Good for him! Mine was in the navy. I know he was at Dunkirk but he just did not speak about the war. When he came home from hospital after being diagnosed with cancer, we could hear him having a nightmare one night where he thought he was being dive-bombed by the enemy. I don't know if it related to real life. How I wish I'd tried to get him to talk about the war.

I think we all sort of wish that. I know my Father was a private in North Africa in 1944 and was promoted on an "Emergency Commission" to 2nd-Lieutenant in April 1945, but I've no idea what he actually had to do.

Many years later I gave him my Amstrad PC1512 computer for him to write his memoirs, but he never got around to doing more than the Chapter Titles. and a few handwritten notes :(

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 5th June 2014, 11:50 PM BST

Here's a moral and ethical dilemma for you keewik - Guns or Monarchy? At the moment, the Queen is head of the armed forces and our only defence against a corrupt parliament.

We do have the House of Lords too, though nowadays it is mostly filled with Parliamentary appointees.

~~~

I seem to recall the Military do swear to defend "Queen and Country" in that sequence, but I suspect that if the Queen ordered the Army to arrest all the MPs there would be a lot of confused soldiers.

Still they do keep a lot of handy barracks in London, just in case :). There's one just up the road from Big Ben, with horses & swords, and another big barracks just north of The Queen And Artichoke pub.

In America and other countries, enough of the citizenry is sufficiently armed to stage a revolution, but here in the UK, if a police state takes over and uses the military to carry out it's deeds, we're pretty much screwed.

Is this your dream RC, a pub-smoking armed militia (?) all set to overthrow the Government and the Royalty.

(?) Probably mostly formed from football supporters & chavs.

Quote: billwill @ 6th June 2014, 12:25 PM BST

Is this your dream RC, a pub-smoking armed militia (?) all set to overthrow the Government and the Royalty.

I think the Royals are fairly decent, they know how tenuous their position is and do a pretty good job serving us.

I do like the way that living under a police state is beyond some people's comprehension - I mean, it's not like we have the most CCTV cameras per head of population in the world or that we conduct secret trials or that we allow our public service broadcasters to roam the streets with 'television license detector vans' or that you can be jailed for making a joke on Twitter or super injunctions to silent the press or a thousand and one anti-terrorism laws that allow the government to crush any form of assembly or mass protest.

And it's not like technology has grown leaps and bounds so that we can easily track anyone, anywhere for any reason. Oh and we also have some of the strictest gun laws in the world, we won't even allow our Paralympic Shooting Team access to firearms.

If the sinisters power of the UK government can crush any protest, why can't they crush those bloody Kurdish Communists who block Holloway road with their protests about....
I have no idea because their protesting in Kurdish, communist Kurdish probably.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th June 2014, 7:09 PM BST

I think the Royals are fairly decent, they know how tenuous their position is and do a pretty good job serving us

Truly, I don't know whether to laugh my head off or weep in despair. I swear these people are aliens. To the guillotine!!!

The English are a pathetic weazley race

The French refused to put up with the disgusting fat rich evil royal f**kers who ruled that country and got shot of the bloody lot of em

We should have done the same

It's utterly pathetic that in the year 2014 we still pay these shiftless set of arseholes to walk around in crowns and jewels like their something bloody special

It's pathetic

The queen can suck my fat hairy cock

But Keewik what's your specific dislike of them?

I mean I loath the queen because she's neutral when it suits her e.g. shutting up when her government sells everything off, violates civil rights and takes part in illegal wars.

But she pipes up constantly about the commonwealth. A repulsive collection of bigotted, corrupt, murderous dictatorships because it lets her play empress for a day.

[shame on SNP hypocrites hosting the commonwealth games]

When I say they're aliens, I mean they don't seem to know how to be human. The famous picture of the Queen returning from some tour and SHAKING HANDS with her four-year-old son says it all. I cannot emphasise how unnatural and unfeeling that is. But it's the way they were raised and they believe it's the right way. How about making the young princes go to church the morning they'd just been told their mother had died? What sort if unfeeling cretins are these people? As for Charles - no guts to say he wanted Camilla when they were both free, so he takes a young girl and ruins her life (I was never a Diana fan by the way). If he'd had any moral fibre and decency he'd have stuck with her and she might still be alive. I find it quite difficult to understand how the princes can accept their father's 'liason' with Camilla - she caused their mother such grief.

Does any of this explain why I despise them? We'd actually be doing them a favour if we got rid of them - they might learn how to be compassionate real humans.

When I say they're aliens, I mean they don't seem to know how to be human. The famous picture of the Queen returning from some tour and SHAKING HANDS with her four-year-old son says it all. I cannot emphasise how unnatural and unfeeling that is. But it's the way they were raised and they believe it's the right way. How about making the young princes go to church the morning they'd just been told their mother had died? What sort if unfeeling cretins are these people? As for Charles - no guts to say he wanted Camilla when they were both free, so he takes a young girl and ruins her life (I was never a Diana fan by the way). If he'd had any moral fibre and decency he'd have stuck with her and she might still be alive. I find it quite difficult to understand how the princes can accept their father's 'liason' with Camilla - she caused their mother such grief.

Does any of this explain why I despise them? We'd actually be doing them a favour if we got rid of them - they might learn how to be compassionate real humans.

By the way, don't blame the SNP for the Commonwealth games - Labour council in Glasgow were hell bent on getting it and the Scottish parliament just backed them. To be honest I have no interest though it'll happen not far from me - don't even know the starting date.

nb people who think armed citizens make for a succesful revoloution just don't understand revoloutions.

Even in 1776 when it was all muskets, horse and an occasional cannon. The American Revoloutionaries were dependent on Prussian and French allies and mercenaries.

These days having a gun just justifies the overwhelming force of the government just check out Ruby Ridge or Waco.

These events are literally inconceivable in gun free Europe.

In South Africa the ANC who mostly were unarmed overthrew Aparhteid because they were willing to sacrifice everything, including their neighbours.

The Boers who had plenty of guns couldn't make a dent in postAparhteid South Africa because they weren't willing to sacrifice anything.

A revoloutinary needs a tent, to sleep in after the government burns his house down far more than he needs a gun.

Exactly, Americans aren't allowed the weapons that would give them the slightest chance of an armed uprising (heavy machine guns, tanks, attack helicopters, artillary, armed drones, jet fighters... yeah, good luck taking them on with a revolver or hunting rifle). Not to mention the revolutionaries would have virtually no way of organising if the government disabled the phone networks, and barely any training or knowledge of tactics. The idea of Americans being able to overthrow a corrupt government with their guns is the wet dream of right-wingers entirely out of touch with reality.

I think you are all forgetting the early days of the Egyptian, the Libyan and Syrian uprisings, they used hunting rifles and AK-47s to start the rebellions.

Try and do this in the UK - http://time.com/63528/the-armed-rebellion-on-a-nevada-cattle-ranch-could-be-just-the-start/

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 6th June 2014, 7:53 PM BST

I know that you're the Prince of BCG right wing propaganda, but you're really surpassing yourself these days.

You can shove your President Blair where the sun don't shine. The Royals earn this country literally billions in tourist money, they've paid for themselves ten times over.

The British Communist Party presents The Trotskyist Tour of London: 'And if you look to your left comrades, you can see Buckingham Hostel, the largest homeless shelter in Westminster. Look at the colourful meth addicts stabbing each other.' - Yeah, who the f**k is going to see that? Answer: No one.

Weirdly, most of you are against the UK pulling out of Europe for financial reasons, but you'd get rid of one of our biggest earners in the blink of an eye. How odd.

None of them did RCP, they all kicked off when the governments started shooting protestors. In the case of Libya it caused such disgust it lead to about the only post Iraq/Afghanistan use of force by NATO. In Egypt it lead to the army joining the protestors [then taking over from another bit of the government, no one said revoloutions easy or succesful] and in Syria it was more of a civil war/terrorist insurgency with neither side even pretending it was a revoloution.

Those weren't the 'early days' of the uprisings, the rebellion in Libya had been going on for a year before NATO stepped in. I vividly remember news footage of people in pick up trucks with rifles being shot at by attack helicopters.

If you were to create a dictators handbook, the first two chapters would be control the press and disarm the populace - can you imagine something like happening here? Oh wait...