I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,580

Quote: Oldrocker @ 21st May 2014, 3:25 PM BST

All UKIP wanted to do was have a nice Twit . . and then it all went a bit wrong.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhyImVotingUkip&src=hash

Some of these were really funny - and a license for white people to tell the most racist jokes imaginable.

My favourite non-racist one was about Lenny Henry lying about the 'comfortable' beds in a Premier Inn.

Quote: Jennie @ 22nd May 2014, 8:42 PM BST

I am interested in whether UKIP can galvanise their support - because from what I've seen on FB and twitter all day, it is leftie heaven out there.

The problem with FB and Twitter is that a lot of people talk, but very few actually do anything. If everyone who posted an anti-UKIP message on social media actually bothered to vote, this would be the most popular election ever.

The turn out in Hackney wasn't exactly chock-a-block when I went down there and I'm sure the sudden storm probably stopped people from even bothering to venture out - even though it cleared up nicely.

Certain groups like young people and ethnic minorities hardly ever bother to vote, even in their own interests and by far the biggest group are white, elderly people and a lot of them have turned to UKIP.

I also imagine there were a lot of split personalities - traditional parties locally and UKIP or Green for MEP.

We shall see. I am doubtful that UKIP's support is anywhere near the size of their media presence. We like them in the media cos they're funny and say funny shit. Hearing Nige on Radio 4 this morning really annoyed me. I was dozing and ended up dreaming about him.

Quote: Jennie @ 22nd May 2014, 9:28 PM BST

We shall see. I am doubtful that UKIP's support is anywhere near the size of their media presence.

Just the prediction I would expect from a sheltered metropolitan liberal elite walking around in their own bubble. I bet you never thought Boris Johnson would be London Mayor - twice. ;)

At the last few by-elections, UKIP were polling higher than Tory and even Labour in some areas around the UK and that was with 10% of the media coverage they've had in the last few weeks.

In elections like these, only the most ardent supporters go out to vote and the media campaign against UKIP has galvanised and motivated the electorate to get off their arses and walk down to the godawful community centre to mark their ballots.

What would be really freaky is if, as UKIP have predicted, they get their first Scottish MEP - truly it shall mark The End of Days.

Quote: Jennie @ 22nd May 2014, 9:28 PM BST

I was dozing and ended up dreaming about him.

:O

Were you the dirty Romanian immigrant gypsy woman willing to do 'anything' to stay in the country?

More disturbingly, was Chappers in the next bed going hammer and tongs with Teresa May?

Sick

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 22nd May 2014, 9:37 PM BST

In elections like these, only the most ardent supporters go out to vote and the media campaign against UKIP has galvanised and motivated the electorate to get off their arses and walk down to the godawful community centre to mark their ballots.

You UKIP lot should be grateful for every negative article and car crash interview, it's only made them more popular. Which yes, is odd.

From facebook today.

I did manage to vote, unfortunately our polling station is in a residents parking-permit only estate. So the guy pictured was attempting to nick the unwary, who works for the same local authority as those running the polling station. My partner saw him coming and hastily drove off....I complained to him about being in the business of entrapment and stupidity, to no avail of course. ."Oi...you are not allowed to take my photo!" (Really?) I thought voting was a Civic Right and local council's were supposed to encourage the use of the ballot box for an old custom called democracy.

Just the prediction I would expect from a sheltered metropolitan liberal elite

It is embarrassing when you flatter me so, Renny. People will start to talk.

I will accept metropolitan and liberal - but not sheltered and elite. My job means I am all too exposed and elite? I'm common. I've worked hard, but I remain common.

:O

Were you the dirty Romanian immigrant gypsy woman willing to do 'anything' to stay in the country?

More disturbingly, was Chappers in the next bed going hammer and tongs with Teresa May?

Sick

I feel a bit ill.

I didn't vote. I'm about 40 miles from my polling station, so have an excuse. I could, of course, have done a postal vote, but I didn't really think about that...

How come you are so far away? Do you live in the middle of nowhere?

Quote: Jennie @ 22nd May 2014, 10:02 PM BST

I'm common.

Too right dear. :P

Though, I am now fascinated by your Nigel Farage fuelled dream. Please elaborate.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2014, 10:00 PM BST

So the guy pictured was attempting to nick the unwary, who works for the same local authority as those running the polling station.

That is shocking for two reasons -

1. What a disgusting way for the council to act

2. There's no picture

As much as I would love to be a valued sponsor of the RCP spank bank, I think some things are best kept to oneself.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 22nd May 2014, 9:51 PM BST

You UKIP lot should be grateful for every negative article and car crash interview, it's only made them more popular. Which yes, is odd.

I just hope we can get a short reprieve from all the UKIP stuff, both pro and anti, and we can get back to scrutinising the dumbass fooking job both Tory and Labour are doing.

Though it was weird on Facebook today, with people literally begging other people not to vote UKIP. Like it was the last resort after the lies, libel, parodies, jokes, propaganda, hate fuelled diatribes and personal attacks.

Quote: Jennie @ 22nd May 2014, 10:11 PM BST

As much as I would love to be a valued sponsor of the RCP spank bank, I think some things are best kept to oneself.

That horse has already bolted...so to speak. Smarmy

Well, everyone loves a feminist. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22610534

Too many deaths as a result of domestic violence.

But what is the answer? Damaged people with misplaced boundaries end up in damaged relationships.

I think there is a real argument for teaching young people in schools about healthy relationships. There are red flags for abuse - and they need to know them, and soon.

Quote: Jennie @ 22nd May 2014, 10:06 PM BST

How come you are so far away? Do you live in the middle of nowhere?

I'm at my parents tonight.

I've never voted in council, MEP elections to be honest. I only come out for the general election. I guess that, politically, I'm like those people who only support England during the World Cup.

Quote: Jennie @ 22nd May 2014, 10:35 PM BST

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22610534

Too many deaths as a result of domestic violence.

But what is the answer?

We could ban relationships, marriage and people living together? I think recent studies have shown that men who commit domestic violence are the ones most likely to commit violent crimes. So basically, scum is scum and no amount of education is going to change that.

As for getting women to recognise the warning signs, anecdotally speaking, there have been thousands of parents, sisters, brothers, etc. who've tried to convince loved ones to get away from a violent partner. I know from personal experience that trying to tell a woman she can't do something is an exercise in futility.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 22nd May 2014, 10:50 PM BST

As for getting women to recognise the warning signs...

Cody McCarver - Red Flag