I read the news today oh boy! Page 13

Haha, knob.

It's official. Jade Goody passed away last night.

Max Clifford has signed her up for the next series of Most Haunted.

Pleased

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 22 2009, 7:39 PM GMT

Clifffforrrrd!!!!

Laughing out loud

Quote: Rob0 @ March 22 2009, 11:47 AM GMT

http://cbs13.com/local/Paraplegic.Man.Suffers.2.958151.html

Not the best ending though.

LOL.

>_<

Too soon...

I'll be honest, I never liked the woman, but it is a very sad day when someone so young does die of cancer. But I've never seen such a blatent display of hypocrisy from the tabloids in which they slagged her off endlessly and then when she was dying she was the best thing since brown-bread.
But yes, I watched the series of Big Brother with her in it in 2002 and I really didn't like her then, she was a bully in my opinion. Then the whole Celebrity Big Brother racism row got totally out of hand, she wasn't being racist towards Shilpa in my opinion, she was just doing what she did to everyone else and bully them. But she was a bit of a character I suppose and yes I'm very sorry she has passed on, but I am sickened by the hypocrisy of the tabloids. At least I'm honest enough to say I never liked her as a person, but I also admit I'm sorry of what she went through as I wouldn't wish that upon anybody.

I'm not particularly sorry she passed on. No more than I would be if Joan/John Doe died. She wasn't a particularly nice person, she courted celeb stardom and her only qualities seemed to be being thick and being annoying. But it's probably a judgement on the media and the general public that someone that talentless could become a media personality.
There was a lad who was the Welsh mascot this weekend. He had terminal cancer at 12. F**k Jade Goody. I'd rather we focussed some attention and more's the point some money on kids like that than media whores.
Anyway, how about them Red Socks eh?

Well said.

When is too soon to make a joke about a death? There are gags about Jayne Mansfield's head, jokes about Diana's Mercedes, jokes about Kennedy, the Queen Mum, PanAm 103... Is there a matrix somewhere where you put in the time of death, the % rating that person has on IMDb and then it says "a brief quip will be ok on Tuesday week"?

It wouldn't be funny to say them directly to the recently bereaved, but public figures are different. We all 'know' them but don't necessarily 'care' about them, their lives are satirised, why not their death? We aren't in national mourning despite Gordon Brown expressing his deep, deep sorrow (to gain some votes with Daily Star readers).

I couldn't stand the thick, talentless racist (in my opinion) publicity hungry mare. I didn't want her dead. I wanted her to stop gurning out at me from the news stands. But here's a contrast:

A young woman with two children is diagnosed with terminal cancer and decides to raise as much money as she possibly can before she dies. Only its not Jade, its Jane. Jane Tomlinson ran 3 marathons and the Great North Run and raised £1.5m for Cancer research. Jade did quite the opposite. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2585103.stm

There is no time for media types. You live by the sword... As soon as that last breath leaves them start writing them there sketches.

Apologies if this has been covered - not reading 15 pages of messages - but I find it massively off to describe Jade as a racist.

Yes, she made an ignorant, racist remark. However, that remark was probably made as much out of ignorance as malice and she apologised. Also, she was in a setting where every remark could be analysed and yet didn't come across as racist other than in that one incident.

Would I condone her behaviour and remark - absolutely not. But let's not brandish people as racist on the back of one comment and then never allow them the opportunity to learn from their mistake. The only way to combat racism is through education - and as Jade became increasingly exposed and educated towards other cultures I suspect she became less ignorant (not sure she was ever racist as such). And, her children may well grow up without any racist tendencies as they will benefit from a superb education.

(Or they might be sent to a private, largely white-only school, and become the worst sort of moneyed racist, but hey ho).

She was actually (as far as one can tell through the telly) a nice person. Very badly educated and quite ignorant, but nice, honest, funny and well meaning.