I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,270

Top 10 Jokes of Edinburgh Fringe: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/08/20/uk-comedy-edinburgh-idUKBRE97J0OM20130820

Are any BCG folk among this lot? I've read better jokes here by Sooty and Steve.

1. "I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa."

2. Alex Horne - "I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying."

3. Alfie Moore - "I'm in a same-sex marriage ... the sex is always the same."

4. Tim Vine - "My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him 'Don't be Sicily.'"

5. Gary Delaney - "I can give you the cause of anaphylactic shock in a nutshell."

6. Phil Wang - "The Pope is a lot like Doctor Who. He never dies, just keeps being replaced by white men."

7. Marcus Brigstocke - "You know you are fat when you hug a child and it gets lost."

8. Liam Williams - "The universe implodes. No matter."

9. Bobby Mair - "I was adopted at birth and have never met my mum. That makes it very difficult to enjoy any lapdance."

10. Chris Coltrane - "The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately."

Yeah, quite a lot of god-awful tortured puns. Which I'm a fan of, just surprised to see them being listed as the best jokes from the Fringe.

Is "oriental" not racist then?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 21 2013, 7:42 PM BST

I was thinking this too, but BBC Breakfast covered it the other morning so it can't be, right?

Alfie Moore's joke is quite funny. Sounds like something Woody Allen would have coined.

I understand calling someone oriental is considered a bit off in America, as they use it more to describe objects like vases.

The east Asians get a raw deal in this country. I can't believe "Jap's eye" is still considered acceptable.

We need to ban more words.

I like No 9

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 21 2013, 7:42 PM BST

Not in Asia.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 21 2013, 7:48 PM BST

The east Asians get a raw deal in this country. I can't believe "Jap's eye" is still considered acceptable.

You should see how the Chinese view the Japs! State-sanctioned racism is thriving in China - on account of past atrocities by Japan against China.

I quite like nearly all of the 10 but what percentage are Monkhouse or Dawson?

(Best ones are 4,8,6,2,3,9)

I like 4, 7, 9 & 10.

Quote: zooo @ August 21 2013, 8:17 PM BST

I like 4, 7, 9 & 10.

4's very good because it's daft and silly.

Something like 5 is a bit too clever clever.

Ignoring the source, have a look at the ones at the bottom of the story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398605/The-British-love-pun-From-Chaucer-Tommy-Cooper-British-suckers-play-words.html

The only one that amused me was the "same-sex marriage" one. I don't get the lapdance one - why would any young male get a lapdance from a woman old enough to be his mother?

Well if a woman had her baby adopted, she might quite likely be 15 or so. Why would a 20 year old object to a lapdance from a 35 year old?

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 21 2013, 8:28 PM BST

Ignoring the source, have a look at the ones at the bottom of the story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398605/The-British-love-pun-From-Chaucer-Tommy-Cooper-British-suckers-play-words.html

Steve Pun........hah!

Interesting, if familiar, comments on BBC history. These things need to be retold.

Tim Vine is probably one of the best currently.

I'm with clapout's comments on the importance of delivery.

Punning office managers never did it for me.