I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,262

Quote: bigfella @ August 7 2013, 3:22 PM BST

Mr Bussell seems to be all over the Daily Mail website again.

I thought Cowell's babymother looked familiar :O

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/07/misogyny-society-abused-children-predatory

For crying out loud. A 41 year old with child abuse images on his computer is the victim of a 13 year old being predatory. Says the prosecution lawyer and the judge. That poor child.

The next 13 year old girl that is persuaded to take a similar case to court might say no after reading this

She's been through enough

She won't want to sit there and be insulted by one of these arseholes Into the bargain

Very dangerous

I read a brilliant article written by a male teacher once, about young teens and how they can seem in a way to 'come on' to/flirt with grown men, but they're just experimenting with their newfound sexuality, and any decent, sane man sees this for exactly what it is, humours them, and keeps his distance.
Wish I could find it again.

So, you're saying Sting wasn't right when he wrote:

"Young teacher, the subject
Of schoolgirl fantasy
She wants him so badly
Knows what she wants to be
Inside her there's longing
This girl's an open page
Book marking - she's so close now
This girl is half his age

Don't stand, don't stand so
Don't stand so close to me

Her friends are so jealous
You know how bad girls get
Sometimes it's not so easy
To be the teacher's pet
Temptation, frustration
So bad it makes him cry
Wet bus stop, she's waiting
His car is warm and dry

Loose talk in the classroom
To hurt they try and try
Strong words in the staffroom
The accusations fly
It's no use, he sees her
He starts to shake and cough
Just like the old man in
That book by Nabokov

Don't stand so close to me"

Has Sting ever been a 13 year old girl, is the question.

Anyway, I've no idea how old the girl is in that song. Nor have I seen the lyrics before. Errr

A damn good song...but laughable lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIZofPB8ZM

Supposedly based on his own experiences as a teacher. Errr

Is roxanne based on his experiences as a prozzy?

And was he ever an astronaut?

Quote: Lazzard @ August 7 2013, 9:31 PM BST

And was he ever an astronaut?

That actually reminds me of an OFAH-line:

Grandad to Sandra, the police woman: "Del's got a police record"

Del (nervously): "Yes, 'Walking On The Moon'...do you want me to play it for you?

:D

Quote: AJGO @ August 7 2013, 7:41 PM BST

For crying out loud. A 41 year old with child abuse images on his computer is the victim of a 13 year old being predatory. Says the prosecution lawyer and the judge. That poor child.

It was a stupid, stupid mistake. It should not have been said and does not reflect the attitudes of our courts these days. 99.9% of barristers would never dream of saying such a thing.

As Zooo says, the girl is either exploring her sexuality or has been previously abused. It should never have been said, either by the judge or the barrister.

HOWEVER - this man's career is now finished. Mud sticks at the Bar, it is a small community. You can be as scandalous as you like in your private life - but the moment anyone gets a whiff of professional incompetence, you are out on your ear. It's a dog eat dog world.

So for that reason only, the barrister has my sympathy.

What I find strange is that he was the prosecuting lawyer so why was he trying to make out that the accused was the victim?

He's actually growing on me. He's a maverick who played by his own rules.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 7 2013, 9:57 PM BST

What I find strange is that he was the prosecuting lawyer so why was he trying to make out that the accused was the victim?

The prosecutor, as a matter of professional conduct, must point out the aggravating and mitigating features of every case. (Although in my experience, most prosecutors simply point out aggravating and leave me to do the mitigating. Which is fair enough, I need to have something to say.)

There is no doubt that what he said was inappropriate - but mitigation isn't always attractive. If this girl looked older, was more experienced and actively solicited sex from this man, then that is different to a shy virgin who barely knows what goes where.

It doesn't make it OK, it doesn't make her a predator - but it is relevant to sentencing.

Having read what he allegedly said, I cannot even begin to imagine what he meant when he said that sex was "forced upon him (the defendant) despite him being older and stronger than her". That truly is mind boggling.

It is surprising because he is a very experienced barrister - he was called to the bar in 1975.

The job is hard. He probably only read the case 20 minutes before it was called on. We are human, we make mistakes. I once called a Judge "father" in open court.

Quote: chipolata @ August 7 2013, 10:05 PM BST

He's actually growing on me. He's a maverick who played by his own rules.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud