I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,260

Quote: keewik @ August 3 2013, 11:06 PM BST

What is this utter shite about the Duke of Edinburgh returning to WORK? He doesn't know the meaning of the word. Bloody parasite!

To be fair, most people don't do half as much as he does at 90 odd.

I would consider it work - I would hate to live the life of a Royal.

I'm puzzled by all this. What the Hell exactly does he do? Put his own toothpaste on the brush?

He's out faffing around meeting people and doing Royal duties all day every day, from what I remember watching a documentary or two about the Royals.
Obviously it's not working down the mines, but I would have retired ages ago if I was him. I believe he rarely has a day off.

I think they do work. I would keep Elizabeth and ditch Parliament on the grounds that she is closer to Clement Attlee.

Once she's gone, there's no hope for national cohesion unless they select MPs randomly like they do in appointing a jury.

It would have to be done on TV of course. I suggest a programme like the one for the National Lottery. Only in that way can we have adequate scrutiny.

I despair of you all and your gullibility. The words 'To the guillotine!' spring to mind.

I like his skin.

Lol, okay. You know best.

Quote: chipolata @ August 3 2013, 11:23 PM BST

I like his skin.

Sick Sick Sick

P*ss off Argentina.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23596312

Oh and we did conform to UN Resolution 2065, which urged both parties in 1965 to negotiate. Argentina started their negotiation in 1982 and we replied and we won the argument. So there.!.. p*ss off.

When will you get the bl**dy message. The islanders do not want you!

I'm not sure what negotiating can happen really. Either the Islands belong to Britain or Argentina. There isn't any middle ground.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the argument, Britain won't give the Islands up - not whilst the Islanders want to remain British and men have died for the cause.

She knows this - it's all about domestic political game playing for the Argentinian president.

How much do the Falklands cost us a year? Not sure it's money well spent.

Apparently they are self-financing, apart from the military presence we keep there.

1979-1980. The new Government considers that defending the Falklands is too costly. Consequently it is decided that Argentina must be persuaded not to attack by offering it the islands in 99 years time. This will be arranged by lease.

It matters little to HMG what the islanders think or that a deal will be done with fascists. Considerable amounts of British military hardware are returned to Britain on the assumption Argentina will agree.

Argentina does not agree. Instead, on seeing the cost cutting, it decides to invade. This is presented to the general public as a surprising and shocking attack but it has effectively been triggered. Much of what is sent out to defend the islands had ironically been there in 1978.

The Conservatives win the 1983 election largely on the basis of the Falkands success.

Thatcher was an opportunist, no doubt. The Falklands was the gamble that paid off for her. Miners, school milk and poll tax, not so much.

Quote: Jennie @ August 6 2013, 9:06 PM BST

Thatcher was an opportunist, no doubt. The Falklands was the gamble that paid off for her. Miners, school milk and poll tax, not so much.

Yes. That's fair.