Richard O'Sullivan

Hello all

I am an avid fan of Richard's work and am attempting to see all his comedic output.
Has anyone got copies of his lesser-known film/ telly appearances?
I can exchange some stuff from my general films list.

Hope someone might get in touch.

Best wishes
Gary Wales

That would really depend on what you already have and what you consider to be "lesser known"!

Wasn't the very last thing he did quite dark and violent?

I seem to recall that he had a shaven head in it and wasn't the housewives choice.

Does anybody know what he is doing today (not literally, I don't want any replies like he's going to bed), but does anybody know what his situation is now?

"O'Sullivan largely retired from public life in the late 1990s. His last appearance on television was as a guest on an episode of This Is Your Life held in honour of his Doctor... co-star George Layton (O' Sullivan had been honoured by the show previously, in 1974).

O'Sullivan suffered a stroke late in 2003. He is now living in Brinsworth House, a retirement home for actors and performers in England, run by the Entertainment Artistes Benevolent Fund. In 2006, O'Sullivan recorded commentary for the DVD release of Carry On Teacher."

I lifted that from Wikipedia, wether you can trust it or not is another thing. When I saw a thread with his name I instantly thought he had died, there are so many people from the comedy world passing on at the minute.

I remember reading he was quite ill a couple of years back, so wiki might be accurate this time.

Yes, I've seen photos of him fairly recently, and it is correct that he lives in the retirement home. Looks exactly the same as always, just a bit fatter, and bald. There'd be no mistaking if you happened to see him 'out' somewhere.

R O'S was certainly 'the man' back in the day. Was there any other spin offs from Man About the House, other than George and Mildred and Robin's Nest? Has there ever been a reunion of that lot?

Quote: Grytpype @ January 24 2009, 3:12 AM GMT

R O'S was certainly 'the man' back in the day. Was there any other spin offs from Man About the House, other than George and Mildred and Robin's Nest? Has there ever been a reunion of that lot?

No there weren't, and AFAIK, no, there hasn't.

I saw a lesser known film featuring Richard O'Sullivan a few weeks back on BBC Two. It was called Every Day's A Holiday, and featured Freddie and the Dreamers as singing chefs. Richard O'Sullivan played a character called Jimmy and it was a very small part. The film was abominable in my mind, but Richard really did stick out as the best quality and part of the film.

I know that film and it is bad, but my sister loved the soundtrack.

Wasn't he also, as a child actor, in one of the early Carry Ons? It was B&W and set in a school, possibly Carry On Teacher.

He was in Carry On Teacher as well as at least one awful Cliff Richard film.

I think he was in a couple of Clif films.

He also appeared in one of Eric Sykes' silent comedies - Mr. H. Is Late - as did his old friend from acting school, Dennis Waterman.

I saw him predominantly in Me And My Girl thought he was good in that also vaguely remember watching Robin's Nest as a kid but don't remember much of it