Extras - Series 2 Page 5

Wheeler's comments are pretty accurate but I still think that it has been a really enjoyable series even if it doesn't come up to the standards set by The Office.

I'm also appalled at some of the comments about racism and homophobia that I've seen on other sites.

Some people are just never going to get it.

I've enjoyed it a lot, but I can see where some of the criticisms about Maggie and other slight repetitions in plot, are coming from.

It's still miles better than almost all the other current sitcoms though.

Quote: Nick @ October 18, 2006, 11:20 AM

I'm also appalled at some of the comments about racism and homophobia that I've seen on other sites.

What have people been saying?

The worst thread concerning Extras I have seen is at Digital Spy, where they have over-analysed the programme to death. At one point - and I'm not making this up - someone questioned why Darren Lamb was eating a muffin.

Hopefully it will go out on a high tomorrow.

Quote: Aaron @ October 18, 2006, 9:42 PM

What have people been saying?

Take a look at the Chortle forum. I would say that there are some interesting comments on there re. racism and homophobia in Extras, although I wouldn't agree with them all.

It might be further back in the thread, but is Big Bobby D'niro in tonights episode? I know not everyone is a fan of the celebs taking the piss out of themselves, I think it's funny, but it's pretty much the same joke each week, there was no need for so many. However Rob D'niro!? I take my hat off sir.

Extras 2 fas been fantastically funny as far as Im concerned, I love the office, but this is a different show and it annoys me when people keep comparing the two; take it on its own terms.

Pretty good end to the series, I thought - one of the stronger episodes. Highlights were Robert Lindsay (the best celeb appearance, along with Ronnie Corbett, from series two) and the expression on De Nero's face when he saw the nudie pen.

I only saw the last few minutes but i love how Merchant said "Ooh look, she's got no clothes on". Then D'niro can't take his eyes off the pen. ha.

Really enjoyed the last episode. Robert Lindsay was superb when he threw the bear at the sick child and told him that there was something wrong with his brain. De Niro's cameo was short but sweet as well.

The pen bit was great!

I was a little disappointed with the D'Niro cameo, i thought it could have been better. I thought he was going to get caught wanking with the pen. How much would they have to pay for that!?

Having watched the whole of Series 2, my conclusion is that it was very good but slightly behind Series 1. Certainly agree with the comments that Maggie was a bit wasted this time around. She was used as a bit of a dumb stooge at times when I think in the first series she was more central to the plot. Found some of the material a bit over repetitive too. Perhaps the novelty has worn off and maybe will improve with a second viewing.

On the whole though, still generally better than most of the stuff on at the moment. Thought the last episode was great, and Robert Lindsay very funny.

Agreed. Lindsay and De Niro were brilliant, but Barry still stole the show for me. Excellent. :D

Hmm. Extras 2 = disappointing. At least the final episode (in forsaking some comedy) made Maggie a human being again, rather than the world's stupidest person that she had somehow regressed to despite all her character development in series 1. Overall there were funny bits (especially Bowie and Count F**kula), but I kept expecting it to get better and it didn't. There was nothing in series 2 to touch the Kate Winslet or Les Dennis episodes, and there was plenty of repetition of the same themes. Hopefully the next Gervais and Merchant outing will deliver some new themes, as they do dark, tragic and awkward very well.