Extras - Series 2 Page 3

I quite like Extras, but it can be a bit smug at times. The parallels between Andy and RG's own experiences mean that the second series is often little more than an exercise in navel-gazing.

It has some funny moments (most of them courtesy of Barry and the agent) but the celebrity cameos are starting to grate as are the painful to watch bits (the scenes from series two, episode one featuring Maggie and the actress from hell were not funny, they were just painful to watch and I had to leave the room during the David Bowie scene). I would rather see a greater emphasis on the relationship between Andy and Maggie (IMHO this provided the bulk of the laughs during the first series) and less of the celebs poking fun at themselves.

Well, we've only had two episodes. Maybe your wish will come true in the rest of the series.

Did you have to leave the room because it was too awkward? I didn't think the Bowie scene was like that.

I enjoyed the David Bowie scenes. What I like best about Ricky Gervais' writing is the awkward moments and the pathos.

I also like that the second series has developed the Andy character and moved him on from the shadows of Extraland. Even if he might wish he was back there and might well be back there in an episode or two!

I heard Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant have said they won't write another sitcom but will focus on drama. Has anyone heard of any drama from them in the pipeline?

I'm not sure if that's entirely true. I've read that RG has a couple of comedy shows in the works. I think the drama rumour comes from his comments that US drama is far superior to UK drama and that at some point he would like to produce a show that's as good as The Sopranos etc.

I had to leave the room during the scene where Bowie sings the stupid fat little man song because it was too awkward. Watched it again during my lunch break, however, and thought it was quite funny. It probably caught me in the wrong frame of mind on Thursday evening.

I'm really looking forward to Daniel Radcliffe - I've seen some clips and he looks great!

Barry off Eastenders is indeed the highlight of the show, though.

Barry is brilliant!

Ricky said recently in an interview that it wasn't true that they would never do another sitcom/comedy. But that they might do a drama next. And maybe set it in America.

The new series is excellent so far. I love how they have utilized Barry more. The David Bowie scene was a stroke of genius. And apparently, Ricky couldn't stop laughing when they first started filming it.

Quote: Walker @ September 25, 2006, 5:44 PM

And apparently, Ricky couldn't stop laughing when they first started filming it.

If I'm not mistaken, Ricky can't stop laughing during pretty much any scene.

I'm glad it seems as though Gervais & Merchant will do more comedy - thanks for that Thomps74 and Zooo. It'll be great to see some drama from them in addition to the comedy, not instead of.

Yeah!
I hope they're both in it though, and not just writing it.
I loved Ricky in his guest straight role in Alias. He was fantastic.

Since seeing Stephen Merchant in Extras I think he could've pulled off the part of Gareth in The Office. Having said that I liked Mackenzie Crook's performance.

I like this show alot, and think the double act between Merchant and Barry off Eastenders is brilliant. I have a couple of niggles. Maggie seems to have been marginalised this series, and I find myself not caring about her storylines (what was the point of her in the Bowie episode?). Also, as much as I'm enjoying the Andy Millman sitcom story, I don't believe a word of it. Would people really be quoting lines at him after only one episode of it had been broadcast? And would homeless men in the street really know who Andy Millman is? I'm being pedantic, but a big part of RG's spiel is how realistic and naturalistic his comedy is, and this clearly isn't.

That said, it's still the funniest show on at the moment, and it's a real pleasure to watch it back to back with That Mitchell and Webb Look.

I loved the David Bowie scene in episode 2. I've heard that Diana Rigg makes a guest appearence in an episode of series 2, does anyone know if that's true?

Picking up from Jason's comments, there's another thing that niggles me, namely would Andy really put up with his incompetent agent? I could believe it when he was an extra but now that he's had a sitcom commissioned, wouldn't he dump this loser at the first opportunity? The guy has always been an idiot but in last night's episode he wandered in to the realms of the ridiculous. Are we really supposed to believe that he hasn't heard of Harry Potter? And the bits where he insulted Warwick Davis and went on Richard & Judy without telling Andy...I mean, c'mon, it's hardly credible. Who would put up with that?

If you were the writer of Extras, would you get rid of the agent character? What you wrote does make sense and if it were real life, he probably would get away from the agent, but luckily it's a sitcom and the agent's going nowhere! :)