Extras - Series 2 Page 2

Fine. I stand corrected. :$

I really liked the opening episode. The section with Andy taking control of the filming by bossing Keith Chegwin about was absolute class.

"Both Keiths..all of Keith!"

Is the BBC still run by jews and queers?

Genius. How does RG get away with it, making a programme funded by the BBC that sonstantly slags them off? It is clear that he has nothing but contempt for the morons that run the place.

I'm not sure he quite thinks that, but either way, they know that they can make a hell of a lot more money out of him than he can of them.

Oh come on, it's obvious that he thinks that. The two BBC guys are portrayed as shallow idiots who dumb down everything they get their grubby hands on. His character has written a sitcom with depth to it and they are ruining it due to their obsession with catchphrases etc.

I think that's more of a dig at the current state of British comedy as a whole, and indeed TV producers in general, than the BBC in particular. And specifically in regards to dumbing down, come on. That could be ANY part of current society.

Wrong. Gervais once commented that when he pitched The Office to the BBC, they said to him that their problem with the show was they didn't believe that someone as incomptent as David Brent would be able to stay in a job. Gervais said that he would prove incompetent people can stay in jobs by knocking on the doors of the people who 'work' for the BBC. I think that says it all.

Well that was insightful.

Perhaps you could expand on that? Add some real argument and intellectual thought? I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but "Wrong." isn't going to do it at all.

I've just expanded on it. I clicked on the post reply button by mistake. Perhaps you should wait a while before posting your comments. Not that I have any interest in trying to convince you otherwise.

There were 6 minutes between your post and mine!

But back to the subject in question, if that is true, then it seems that he may very well have a certain aspect of contempt for some of the BBC. However, I would still argue that that could be applied to any profession - and indeed any TV station or production company - and further that if he really disliked the BBC that much then he would not have brought the programme(s) to them in the first place.

It's hard to say if he is having a go at the BBC or British comedy in general. It will probably become clearer as the second series progresses. Gervais has never made a secret of the fact that he prefers US comedy to the stuff that we churn out, but I'm not sure if he believes that the situation is entirely the fault of the Beeb.

I quite enjoyed the new episode - like has been said above, "Barry off Eastenders" made it for me.

Also is it a bit worrying that I found Andy's sitcom funnier than some of the genuine recent real sitcoms?!?

Quite possibly. Not sure what it says more about though!

I think Ricky Gervais has got to the point now where he is such an asset to the BBC that they wouldn't dare do anything to tick him off. If that means letting him have sly digs at the corporation in his show then so be it. I think all the characters in Extras are amplified to a certain degree anyway.

And anyway, he's only taking the mick. It wouldn't be much cop if the BBC Comedy department couldn't take a joke would it?

Good point!

Quote: Mark @ September 17, 2006, 5:12 PM

I quite enjoyed the new episode - like has been said above, "Barry off Eastenders" made it for me.

Also is it a bit worrying that I found Andy's sitcom funnier than some of the genuine recent real sitcoms?!?

I agree actually. Even when Ricky's trying to be crap, he can't be as incompetent as the people who wrote Green Green Grass. (Not to name names...)

I still couldn't look at him when he was wearing the wig and glasses though. It's worse than when he was playing the genie in series one. Physically painful. : )