The Royle Family 2012 Special... Page 4

I do think they should take the family out of the house if they still want to keep light in the series otherwise just end it now.

Agree with this. The montage scene seemed like they felt under pressure not to have them just sit there talking about Joe's failed love life for half the episode.

I'd much rather see the Royle Family in an unfamiliar environment (they could go to London to see Anthony, or spend some time in the Feathers) rather than an unfamiliar family in the Royle's environment. The Golden Egg Cup was good.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ December 29 2012, 11:13 AM GMT

A new ground breaking format soon becomes an old and copied format.

Barb can only ask so many times 'have you had your tea Dave?' before people are complaining that it's stale.

Moving it on is proving difficult. Jim only ever got out of his chair to go for an Eartha. Now he's even going down the shops.

I hope they continue to write more. Character changes or not.

" soon becomes " ??? Crikey....I totally disagree...I suggest these people you speak of consists of just yourself.....exaggerating wildly for inflammatory effect. Think of all the catchphrases/one-liners and " ground breaking formats " that are STILL recited/enacted today...they may very well be old but to say that they SOON become old/copied and, by definition and inference, jaded and dull is nonsense.

Okay, so I'm being pedantic by picking you up on your choice of words but overexaggeration to try and make a point is transparent.....and I've told you over a million times....don't exaggerate !
:P :D

What have they done to my favourite show ever?

After Joe's Crackers (the only half decent special after The Queen of Sheba) I had hoped they had turned the corner and were perhaps going to get back to a hint of the former glory days but this was truly shocking. It almost makes me want to say something nice about The New Sofa. Time to knock it on the head for good in my opinion.

I'm aware that this has been quite well received in some quarters but it just saddens me that what was once a great show has come to this. It's like when an ex world champ boxer goes into the (old) ring for one last big payday and gets the living shit hammered out of them.

Two words...dire.

It just gets more boring because it's just in the house.
They should make another like The Golden Egg Cup.

Quote: Wwe222 333 @ December 31 2012, 10:04 AM GMT

It just gets more boring because it's just in the house.
They should make another like The Golden Egg Cup.

Yes I agree, they should take this show outside of the house.

Well, it wasn't terrible, but it clearly wasn't great either!!!

It generally felt empty as it skipped along, while we all expected something "side splitting" to occur, but never did. I still feel that they are leaning to the "simple, almost retarded panto style" which has been evident for 2-3 Christmas Specials now ... and it's getting tiring. The Royle Family could always be funny, with raw humour and quirky one liners, but nowadays, they have simply turned Dave, Denise, Barbara to some degree and a couple of other characters here and there ... into SIMPLETONS and the script beats it to death.

I agree with others above, having had two years to get this perfect, it fell flat in many areas. Not even a mentioned (that I noticed) of the situation with Anthony and Saskia?????

Oh well, the only part that we couldn't fault, was the credits, giving memory to "Twiggles".

All the best,
Cal :)

Quote: Blenkinsop @ December 31 2012, 9:54 AM GMT

What have they done to my favourite show ever?

After Joe's Crackers (the only half decent special after The Queen of Sheba) I had hoped they had turned the corner and were perhaps going to get back to a hint of the former glory days but this was truly shocking. It almost makes me want to say something nice about The New Sofa. Time to knock it on the head for good in my opinion.

I'm aware that this has been quite well received in some quarters but it just saddens me that what was once a great show has come to this. It's like when an ex world champ boxer goes into the (old) ring for one last big payday and gets the living shit hammered out of them.

Two words...dire.

Welcome back Blenki Wave

Couldn't watch it all. Started out OK but got very contrived after a while. A good example of how sometimes you should never try and go back.

This is only carrying on because Ricky Tomlinson needs more cream for his disgusting nose. Get him a nose job and axe it. His nose knocks me sick.

.. normally by this point, I have re-watched Christmas Specials several times, but not with the 2012 Royle Family efforts!! (a very cold, low key, empty feel to the entire episode!!)

All the best,

Quote: SivoxII @ January 19 2013, 9:26 PM GMT

.. normally by this point, I have re-watched Christmas Specials several times, but not with the 2012 Royle Family efforts!! (a very cold, low key, empty feel to the entire episode!!)

All the best,

Yes I agree, but I'm gonna try and get the DVD tommorrow just to add it to the collection but otherwise yes not a great ep! :(

Quote: David Carmon @ January 3 2013, 1:42 PM GMT

This is only carrying on because Ricky Tomlinson needs more cream for his disgusting nose. Get him a nose job and axe it. His nose knocks me sick.

What's wrong with his nose?

Quote: Jud Casper @ July 18 2013, 10:36 PM BST

One only has to look at the person in your avatar (I assume that is you) to see why you would make such a stupid, childish and utterly wanky thing to say.

[/quote]
It's me first post Huh? wanna make a good impression Eh?

:) I know! Have a rant Pirate at a post from 6 months ago

Geek f**k, I'm smart Cool

Quote: Jud Casper @ July 18 2013, 10:36 PM BST

One only has to look at the twat in your avatar (I assume that is you) to see why you would make such a stupid, childish and utterly wanky comment.

I can't even tell what that means!