Script writing

not sure if this is in right place,but how do I go about writing my scipt as it were is there a a set order? or can I just go in with the comedy?

I'm no expert, but I'd say it depended on what type of script it was. Whatever type it is, look at examples of scripts (there are loads online) to a programme/film/routine you like and see how the script relates to the finished article.

Don't lose heart all you script writers out there........................

Watching Ian La Frenais & Dick Clement on the Mark Lawson interview, and they were saying they had a project on the life of Sam Cooke for which they had written a 110 page script. It was OK'd, but then the whole thing was rewritten by somebody else, not using one word of their original script. And they, were established writers at the time.

It happens to the best of them. :D

I feel sorry for Lynn Goldsmith because the Andy Warhol image of Prince is a blatant copy of her earlier photograph of him. They are identical and she had to ask fans for financial help fighting her case in court against the Andy Warhol Foundation but lost.

Once upon a time, long ago I had to sort out collaboration between Ian La Frenais & Dick Clement where one was in Hollywood and one was in Kentish Town.

And that was back before the Internet was rife,, all done with phones and modems. On checking my old accounts I see it was in 1996.

Quote: sk8rpunkbarbie @ 10th July 2013, 9:11 PM

not sure if this is in right place,but how do I go about writing my scipt as it were is there a a set order? or can I just go in with the comedy?

Best advice is to learn from reading scripts or watching shows and working out how they did it.

They asked eight years ago.
If they haven't worked it out yet, they might want to re-think their career path.
????

The Scriptwriters' Toolkit.

The Scriptwriters' Toolkit is a set of 14 templates for Microsoft Office (tested thoroughly on Microsoft/Office 365).

It makes it easy to get all the layout done correctly. Among others it contains templates for the BBC formats.

These are not just a collection of Paragraph Styles, as they have active keys which help you immerse yourself in the characters of your script. Tutorial videos are available on Youtube with links from the details web page linked below.

Sold as successware, where you only pay a small amount (normally around £10) to use the product, but pay a voluntary 'thank-you payment' when you achieve success with your writing.

More details at: The Scriptwriters' Toolkit. http://www.datahighways.co.uk/dhl/toolkit.htm

Videos (shortcut) at my support forum: http://www.datahighways.co.uk/support/forum.asp?forum_id=25&forum_title=Script+Writers+Toolkit

The toolkit is now at version 6 which works on both Windows and MacOS versions of Microsoft Word recent versions.

As a special offer to members of this forum, you can obtain it at just 20% of the normal admin fee, i.e £2 instead of £10. All you have to do is follow the procedure on the website, but instead of typing OBTAIN into the provided box, type BCGMEMBER instead. The payment boxes then come up with the reduced admin fees £2 or $4.

~~~~~

As you may have noticed I personally am not a script writer, but I have been a computer programmer since 1962 (over 58 years) and for many of those years I provided computer support to many Script Writers and TV production companies.

So the Scriptwriters' Toolkit is professional quality software. not templates cobbled together by someone who had written some scripts and had done a bit of self-learning about computer programming.

Take heart (again! :D ) all you budding comedy writers. In his memoir "Back Story", which I have just finished reading, David Mitchell is quite scathing of the commissioning situation now and in recent years, with the powers that be concerned primarily about money and not whether something is funny and doable.

Revealing insight into the problems of pitching scripts and ideas.