American Re-makes Page 2

From Wikipedia:

"Spike TV has since commissioned its own version, originally to be written and directed by Robert Weide, who is the executive producer of Curb Your Enthusiasm. However, it is currently being written by Armstrong and Bain."

Thanks. Should be a winner if they are involved however am not a great fan of Grumpy Old Men.

Quote: buyon ferry @ October 14 2010, 8:00 PM BST

I heard they did a version of Men Behaving Badly with Rob Schneider. Would like to see that. Did they ever make the US version of Peep Show?

It was the sitcom that really opened my eyes to just how funny sitcoms could be. I was rather young when it came out, so it might have been rubbish, but I remember thinking that it was the best sitcom I had ever seen. It starred, along with Schneider, Justine Bateman and Rob Eldard. It only lasted for one series and I heard that it suffered from infighting among the stars and I think they tried the whole My Hero replace the main character thing. Apparently it was released in region 1 format.

Here are a couple clips I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79KStIzmArI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_CZkPL7iIs&feature=fvw

Are there any good US shows that have been remade over there?

Quote: deckard @ October 30 2010, 11:56 PM BST

Are there any good US shows that have been remade over there?

No, everything I've tried to look for in that direction has been terrible. I saw a remake of Mad About You which made the original program look positivity Shakespearean. There's a full episode of Days Like These on YouTube (That 70's Show) which again is laughable in effort. I'd like to see the Golden Girls remake but not managed to lay my hands on it.

There's been some "unofficial" remakes which are good. Worst Week of My Life is basically Meet the Parents and very funny. Coupling is basically Friends and was ok'ish. Interestingly both of Sam Bain & Jesse Armstrong's TV series bare a strikingly similar set up to two Walther Matthew and Jack Lemmon movies... the Odd Couple and Grumpy Old Men.

Our brillant George & Mildred here is the yanks version of it http://youtu.be/DvcHSZWtgrI

Dear John (U.S. TV series) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkqU9qeVjKI

I hate the fact that Americans try to re-make our sitcoms using the exact same scripts, What is the point in that? They did this with "Fawlty Towers" and others and they all have just fell flat on their faces. The only one British sitcom that has worked in the USA was "Little Britain USA" and the only reason that worked was because it actually featured the original performers out of the British series but was just filmed in the USA. Hate American re-makes!!!

I am not a fan of remakes in general. No matter where they come from or what media! Leave the ORIGINALS be! When I was a kid and 1st saw All in the Family, Three's Company and Sanford and Son I used to love them, then I saw that those producers STOLE them from the UK. Three's Company had to be the worse! They stole the show AND the spin off programmes! I hated the US versions of Fawlty Towers (how dare anyone try and remake that!), They tried to remake Coupling here and even had Sarah Alexander in her role as Susan and it flopped! Our SyFy Channel now is doing a bastardized version of Being Human and it sucks ass! Leave originals be and come up with NEW programming that is actually good!

Quote: G180e @ July 9 2013, 2:12 PM BST

I hate the fact that Americans try to re-make our sitcoms using the exact same scripts, What is the point in that? They did this with "Fawlty Towers" and others and they all have just fell flat on their faces. The only one British sitcom that has worked in the USA was "Little Britain USA" and the only reason that worked was because it actually featured the original performers out of the British series but was just filmed in the USA. Hate American re-makes!!!

What about Shameless US?? That's a very good remake and now got a green light for a 4th season. The Office US? Still getting the ratings in its 9 season. And how many UK remakes of US shows have they tried to do and failed miserably? Then there are the ones you don't know about, where UK commissioning editors borrow ideas from successful US shows and do something similar.

US networks will remake anything from anywhere to get ratings. Like Homeland (Prisoners of War), Wilfred, The Killing. Sometimes they keep to the original story lines, or change them drastically. Sometimes they don't work and get canned.

Quote: Dice @ July 9 2013, 4:44 PM BST

I am not a fan of remakes in general. No matter where they come from or what media! Leave the ORIGINALS be! When I was a kid and 1st saw All in the Family, Three's Company and Sanford and Son I used to love them, then I saw that those producers STOLE them from the UK. Three's Company had to be the worse! They stole the show AND the spin off programmes!

'Stole' is a rather ... well, entirely wrong word. Those international adaptations made their British creators very rich men indeed.

Quote: Aaron @ July 9 2013, 11:50 PM BST

'Stole' is a rather ... well, entirely wrong word. Those international adaptations made their British creators very rich men indeed.

While that may be true, when they first aired I was hazard to guess that most Americans had no clue that those programs were originally UK sitcoms. I can honestly say that I didn't have a clue until our PBS channel 13 WNET started airing Man about the House. Remember we didn't have the internet back in those days and no one in Hollyweird was about to come out and tell the general public that THEY did NOT create those programs.

But to what extent does that really matter? You had no mechanism to watch the originals until your PBS affiliate picked them up anyway, right? So it wouldn't have done much good to know that the shows were based on something you couldn't see?

Of course you may wish that they'd just shown the original UK shows in the first place, which I think is what you mean? But that's a slightly different discussion again. It'd be great if they could just show them in many cases, but our cultures and TV businesses are different. Why remakes are produced is a more complex matter than simple format theft.

Quote: Aaron @ July 10 2013, 3:44 AM BST

Of course you may wish that they'd just shown the original UK shows in the first place, which I think is what you mean? But that's a slightly different discussion again. It'd be great if they could just show them in many cases, but our cultures and TV businesses are different. Why remakes are produced is a more complex matter than simple format theft.

Bingo! I can appreciate, and prefer, the Original versions as they were intended to be, rather then remaking someone else's work in their own image! Granted I may not understand some aspects due to the cultural differences, it's still appealing to me. Plus it makes me understand what's going on outside of my own small version of the world.